An Old School Catholic Message Board

2016 Ordinations, Vows, Entrances

Luigi

Ceaseless-Longing
1 hour ago, Quasar said:

Congratulations to them!  Are the TOR Sisters a newer order?

Yes! From their website's home page:

Founded at Franciscan University in 1988, we, the Franciscan Sisters T.O.R. of Penance of the Sorrowful Mother, are a Franciscan religious community rooted in Christ Crucified, animated by the Holy Spirit, and modeled after Mary, our Mother.  Our life flows from the Eucharist, the wellspring of love and mercy.  Captured by the merciful love of Christ, the fulfillment and desire of every human heart, in whose light every other love pales, we cannot help but freely give our lives.  We abandon all so that this impoverished world, unknowingly starving for His love, may be filled with knowledge of His merciful Heart, eternally beating and ferociously burning for every human person.

You can learn more about them at their website, http://www.franciscansisterstor.org/. This order is notable because they are one of few that embrace a charismatic prayer style along with the more traditional forms of prayer. For example, I believe every Friday night they have a praise and worship. They're a really beautiful order that I've gotten to know the past few years. Highly recommend them! Their discernment retreats are amesome.

12669464_1238869262796487_45951873320061

On August 4, the Sisters with great joy received a new Postulant into our Community, Sr. Sangeeta. It was on this same day 80 years ago that our dear Sr. Martin also began her life as a religious in the Dominican Order. Sr. Sangeeta comes to us from Pakistan and is seen here with Sr. Saima, also from Pakistan. Sr. Sangeeta in the short time she has spent here with us has already proven herself to be a great part of our community. Her prayerful, joyful spirit, and willingness to always lend a helping hand shows great promise for all good things to come. We ask you to join us in prayer for Sr. Sangeeta and our Community, that the Lord will continue to bless us and help us all to grow in holiness and always seek and do His will. Amen.

Image may contain: 2 people , tree, outdoor and nature

Gethsemani Abbey (Trappist monks) had two postulants. They've now become novices.

- Postulant Ian entered as Brother Abel on July 31.

- Postulant Chris entered as Brother Joseph on August 7.

1 hour ago, Ceaseless-Longing said:

Yes! From their website's home page:

You can learn more about them at their website, http://www.franciscansisterstor.org/. This order is notable because they are one of few that embrace a charismatic prayer style along with the more traditional forms of prayer. For example, I believe every Friday night they have a praise and worship. They're a really beautiful order that I've gotten to know the past few years. Highly recommend them! Their discernment retreats are amesome.

A lot of charismatic communities have traditional forms of prayer. If in France people still pray the rosary and have Eucharistic Adoration, it's thanks to the charismatic. The Emmanuel community, for example, have a strong devotion to the Sacred Heart and Eucharistic Adoration is at the heart of their spirituality. Many people believes that charismatic are "crazy", but most of them are very classical :) Anyway, these sisters look lovely ! 

Speaking of the Emmanuel Community, they had 17 news consecrated womens this year, and 12 final engagement ! http://www.emmanuel.info/actualites/17-engagements-dans-la-vie-consacree/

AveMariaPurissima
9 hours ago, DominicanHeart said:

Today is the Postulant entrances for the DSMNEs!! I wonder how many are entering 

The group photo they posted on Facebook shows 7 postulants.

https://www.facebook.com/dsmme/posts/1207486672648717

I can't seem to insert the photo, but you can see it by clicking the above link.  Hopefully they'll update their main website soon too.

Ceaseless-Longing
On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2016 at 2:47 PM, NadaTeTurbe said:

A lot of charismatic communities have traditional forms of prayer. If in France people still pray the rosary and have Eucharistic Adoration, it's thanks to the charismatic. The Emmanuel community, for example, have a strong devotion to the Sacred Heart and Eucharistic Adoration is at the heart of their spirituality. Many people believes that charismatic are "crazy", but most of them are very classical :) Anyway, these sisters look lovely ! 

I tend to use the word "charismatic" carefully since there are sometimes negative connotations surrounding it, so I just wanted to make it clear that they were fully in line with the church. The sisters near my undergrad practiced a more charismatic spirituality--which wasn't in their original constitutions--and were straying from church teachings. I should search debate station for previous "charismatic: good or bad" debates instead of potentially hijacking this thread. I, personally, lean both ways.

Also, just to add:

Saint Vincent Archabbey has 2 novices, 3 monks ordained to the diaconate, 2 monks ordained to the priesthood, and six men take their first set of Simple Vows, 4 men renew their Simple Vows, and six jubilarians (although I couldn't find for how many years).

littlesister

The active Norbertines in Wilmington California received two new postulants this past Sunday .  That gives them six in formation - two postulants, two first-year novices, and two second-year novices.  No professions yet for this lovely little community new to the US, but they're coming quickly.

56 minutes ago, littlesister said:

The active Norbertines in Wilmington California received two new postulants this past Sunday .  That gives them six in formation - two postulants, two first-year novices, and two second-year novices.  No professions yet for this lovely little community new to the US, but they're coming quickly.

They are such a sweet and HILARIOUS bunch- and they're quickly outgrowing their convent! They only have one room left!

Fr. Antony Maria OSB

Myself and my confrere, Br. Theodore, made our Solemn Vows at Marmion Abbey on July 11th. We'll also have a Claustral Oblation on October 3rd (Feast of Bl. Columba Marmion), and the investiture of our Postulant the night before.

St. Joseph's Benedictine Abbey in Louisiana has a novice as of July 10. Here's his vocation story:

http://www.saintjosephabbey.com/marquis-simon-enters-novitiate-at-saint-joseph-abbey

#####################

Bro Marion, of St. Bernard Abbey in Cullman, Alabama, professed first vows in August: 

Br. Marion places his vows document on the altar.

14064139_10154243211896609_7186037680524981016_n.jpg?oh=f51e749507e8685a48179106c170cd05&oe=5884C53E
Edited by Luigi

10 hours ago, Luigi said:

St. Joseph's Benedictine Abbey in Louisiana has a novice as of July 10. Here's his vocation story:

http://www.saintjosephabbey.com/marquis-simon-enters-novitiate-at-saint-joseph-abbey

#####################

Bro Marion, of St. Bernard Abbey in Cullman, Alabama, professed first vows in August: 

Br. Marion places his vows document on the altar.

14064139_10154243211896609_7186037680524981016_n.jpg?oh=f51e749507e8685a48179106c170cd05&oe=5884C53E

Those are some good-looking vows :o beautiful illumination!!

be_thou_my_vision

Sisters of St. Francis of Perpetual Adoration had 4 first profession, 1 clothing, and 2 final professions in August. They just had 3 postulants enter a few days ago, too. 

The Sisters making final profession were one year younger than me in "convent age." I had the privilege of being present for the big day! It was beautiful.