An Old School Catholic Message Board

2016 Ordinations, Vows, Entrances

Luigi

On August 31, 2016 at 7:41 AM, Br. Antony Maria OSB said:

Myself and my confrere, Br. Theodore, made our Solemn Vows at Marmion Abbey on July 11th. We'll also have a Claustral Oblation on October 3rd (Feast of Bl. Columba Marmion), and the investiture of our Postulant the night before.

Congratulations, and thank you for  your vocation!

On 9/1/2016 at 9:32 PM, Luigi said:

Bro Marion, of St. Bernard Abbey in Cullman, Alabama, professed first vows (?) in August: 

Br. Marion places his vows document on the altar.

I think that Br Marion professed Solemn Vows in August.

Ad multos annos to him ... and every joyous blessing to the community at St Bernard's.

10 minutes ago, ortus said:

I think that Br Marion professed Solemn Vows in August.

Ad multos annos to him ... and every joyous blessing to the community at St Bernard's.

Right you are Thanks for the correction, and Ad multos annos to him!

1 minute ago, Quasar said:

Regarding the new novice at St. Joseph's Benedictine Abbey... can monks become priests as well, or are they mutually exclusive?

Most certainly monks can become priests (and vice versa) but in the Benedictine tradition, the primary vocation is to be a monk rather than to be a priest. To a large extent they are separate vocations and in the majority of monasteries within the Benedictine Confederation, one does not begin the formal discernment about diaconate or priesthood until one has made solemn vows as a monk.

On 8/31/2016 at 6:41 AM, Br. Antony Maria OSB said:

Myself and my confrere, Br. Theodore, made our Solemn Vows at Marmion Abbey on July 11th. We'll also have a Claustral Oblation on October 3rd (Feast of Bl. Columba Marmion), and the investiture of our Postulant the night before.

Congratulations to you and to Br Theodore. I send my prayers to you both and to the community in Aurora.

St. Benedict's Abbey in Kansas received two postulants on September 8th.

https://www.facebook.com/kansasmonks/videos/1093694580709349/

###########

Subiaco Benedictine Abbey invested a novice on September 7th, and one of their two novices made first vows on September 8th.

http://www.countrymonks.org/news/subiaco-abbey-news-three-today 

(Subiaco, like St. Meinrad's in Indiana, receives novices in February and September. So a man who enters as a postulant in February, is invested as a novice in September, while a man who enters as a postulant in September is invested as a novice in February. At least, I think that's the way it works.)

The postulants look so joyful! It must be a tremendous time for them. I found their pictures on Facebook too - I like the pictures of the sisters helping them move in!