An Old School Catholic Message Board

Theology of Religious Life

katherineH

katherineH

Hello friends,

I've received this question a few times from friends and family and have never quite known how to answer it. I assume it falls into the vast category of both/and issues that our Church seems to have a penchant for ;) 

The question is this: consecrated men and women have a special and unique relationship with Christ they can't have in the world ( cf "The state of consecrated life is thus one way of experiencing a "more intimate" consecration, rooted in Baptism and dedicated totally to God." CCC 916)

How do you explain this idea of "more intimacy" without it coming across as some kind of hierarchy of vocations or preferential treatment for religious? Vatican II highlighted the importance of both marriage and RL so how do you reconcile the two? My mother in particular has said "I feel like you are saying you could be closer to God than me if you were to be a sister." A part of me wants to answer "well, yes" but another part feels bad saying it.

Thanks!

First thought on this is that being a religious brother or sister doesnt automatically make someone closer to God.  Anyone's closeness to Him depends on how we are living our state of life and the state of our soul.  If we are follwing His will for us, on whatever path that may be such as marriage religious life etc then we are on the path God had in mind for us to draw us close to Him, the path that would bring Him the most glory, and the path that would save our soul as well as other's souls. 

the best way to grow close to God? nada nada nada! :smokey: <---- John of the Cross

katherineH

Haha good point, maybe a better way to interpret the catechism is that consecrated life increases the capacity for intimacy but doesn't guarantee that intimacy will occur. It's true that someone who doesn't have a vocation to RL and enters RL will find it a barrier to holiness as opposed to a vessel to holiness.

Right. The best way to understand it is that whatever vocation you're called to, that's the one that will facilitate the greatest intimacy. For some people, that vocation is RL. For some it's not.

I wrote a blog post for Leonie's Longing recently on the difference between the Ignatian and Thomistic understandings of vocation. I'm waiting for a theologian to review it before sending it to them, though. If you want a copy of it, email me.

Or just read that book I recently mentioned: The Disciples' Call: Theologies of Vocation from Scripture to the Present Day. It's really a great, very readable overview of theologies of vocation. (I am not a Thomist in that regard, but an Ignatian. I think St. Thomas gets himself into contradictions with his obsession with hierarchies. But okay, he was working in the tradition of the ancients. So... yeah... whatever. St. Ignatius did it better. ;) )

4 hours ago, katherineH said:

The question is this: consecrated men and women have a special and unique relationship with Christ they can't have in the world ( cf "The state of consecrated life is thus one way of experiencing a "more intimate" consecration, rooted in Baptism and dedicated totally to God." CCC 916)

"One way" above underscores what other members have posted.

1 hour ago, Gabriela said:

Or just read that book I recently mentioned: The Disciples' Call: Theologies of Vocation from Scripture to the Present Day. It's really a great, very readable overview of theologies of vo

Thank you for the book recommendation.  Available on Kindle Australia $14.AUD