An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why am i not allowed to be a carthusian monk?

Damned red devil

Damned red devil

Image why, if i am over 45yo, am i considered too old to become  a  carthusian monk?

Edited by Damned red devil
That is my topic.

24 minutes ago, Damned red devil said:

Image why, if i am over 45yo, am i considered too old to become  a  carthusian monk?

Hi, DRD. Welcome to Phatmass. I'm not sure why you picked the name you did, but it does make you seem a bit like a troll right off the bat. I hope that's not the case.

I discerned with the Carthusians, and so I know their way of life better than most here in the VS. While many of us take issue with age limits on entrants to religious life, if anyone has good reason for these age limits, it's the Carthusians. Their way of life is arguably the most extreme and difficult to adapt to of any religious, and so their reason for forbidding entrants over age 45 is likely to do with difficulties of adjustment beyond that age.

That being said, if you are near age 45, and feel strongly called to the eremitic life, you should contact the Carthusians anyway. Religious orders often make exceptions for otherwise highly qualified, stable, healthy candidates.

Dear Damned: 

Gabriela's responses are always good. But I think you'd get a better answer straight from the horse's mouth. Why don't you ask a Carthusian - the abbot or the formation director? 

Edited by Luigi

Thomas Verner Moore became a Carthusian at 70. Read about him, and you will see, there are exceptions to every rule.