An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music thread

CountrySteve21

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

June Carter Cash sings a song that the Carter Family (her mother, aunt, and uncle) originally recorded in 1928 and again in 1935. This version was recorded when June was in her 70's, a couple of years before she died, and you can hear that she doesn't always have as much breath as she needs. Her husband Johnny Cash, her daughters Rosie & Carlene, and her sister Anita sing on the chorus.

I offer it here for the victims of the Las Vegas shooting and Tom Petty.

Edited by Luigi

Based on your screen name, I presume you might like country music, including country Gospel music. Here's Alison Krauss with here guitarist Ron Block. She sings (beautifully), and he plays (simply but perfectly). It was recorded in a church gym or some place like that, on some guy's phone. And the guy sings a wonderful harmony on the last chorus. The song is the old standard "Near the Cross." Slide forward to 0:45 for the music - before that is clowning around and prepping to sing. 

I'm willing to bet almost none of you have heard of Rush. A lot of the few Catholics who've heard of them are somewhat edgy about them, considering they have somewhat liberal viewpoints in some songs. But besides those, they have some rather intriguing lyrics in many of their songs. And also, their actual music is AMAZING.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps the greatest secular Christmas song ever performed. Darlene Love, 1963, produced by Phil Spector in the "wall of sound" style he developed.

Not A Mallard
23 minutes ago, Not A Mallard said:

I can now listen to my guilty pleasure song in-season

(wish I could have found a version with more modest thumbnails at the end)

• 1 year later...

Let's try this again:

I just found this… Quite powerful I think:

Please continue sharing beautiful music on here.

Not A Mallard

(Wish this orchestra had a less questionable name because their music is terrific)