An Old School Catholic Message Board

Daughters of Mary, Israel's Hope out of Tulsa

DameAgnes

3 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

Well if they  prefer the latin mass, and the bishop is a liberal, that maybe part of it.

It very well could, and as I mentioned they are looking for a new home.  The Dolorans went a-packing from the diocese, and they are doing quite well now in Denver. Both of these communities are Ecclesia Dei communities, and neither were fully erected when the bishop was installed.

Just going to point out that Bp Konderla isn’t what you’d call a “liberal” by any means. He might not be exactly gung-ho for liturgy in Latin, but given the state of the episcopate in this country I think we can forgive him that. 
Tbh both of the traditionalist congregations mentioned in this thread have some major red flags, and it’s hard to blame the bishop for wanting them out of his diocese. Lack of clarity of charism/purpose is a significant issue in a new congregation with a living founder. The founder can become identified (even in her own mind) with the charism itself, and then you have a very dangerous situation ripe for abuse. According to his bio, Konderla was at one time vocations director for his previous diocese in Texas as well as director of campus ministry for the Catholic center at Texas A&M (not what anyone would call a “liberal” place). So he’s probably fairly familiar with religious vocations and authentic religious communities. 

13 hours ago, underatree said:

Tbh both of the traditionalist congregations mentioned in this thread have some major red flags,

I don't know enough to defend the Daughters of Mary, Israel's Hope. However, I can for the Dolorans. They are very solid and have a very defined charism. The founder was asked by the previous bishop to found this congregation.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/21/2020 at 12:57 PM, JHFamily said:

Yes, they are still in Tulsa. They are, however, looking to move to a diocese where there is more support from the bishop and in which to advance in their canonical status. I understand they are doing well but could not provide you with numbers.

The sisters are Benedictine and offer an Oblate program. They are very involved in promoting the family and pro-life issues. The picture of St. Therese on their current newsletter is the cover of a book on homeschooling that Mother Miriam has quoted from quite a bit recently on her program and to which the entirety of the newsletter is devoted, so it is very much in keeping with their charism of supporting and encouraging family life.

The website isn't really clear on the charism and apostolate, but a website does not a religious community make. Many communities have far less than stellar websites. You can get a better grasp by reading their oblate newsletters and their apostolate newsletters, both of which are found on the website.

According to their pamphlet, they list their charism as Ora et Labora (to pray and to work), and I quote: "We recognize the importance of the interior life as the foundation and bulwark of our entire life. As such, it is our daily pursuit to nurture and develop the interior life both individually and collectively through vocal and mental prayer, meditation, spiritual reading (Lectio Divina), adoration, and, most importantly, liturgical prayer, that of the Divine Office, which St. Benedict calls the Opus Dei (the Work of God) to which nothing is to be preferred."  

Labora is also listed as their apostolate. Again I quote: "The mystery of the Presentation of Jesus in the Temple is at the heart of our apostolic mission."  They go on to go into more detail as to exactly how they intend to practice their apostolate.  Quite fascinating!