An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastic Communities

LoveZoe11

Hi everyone, 

Does anyone on this forum know of an communities , particularly monastic or cloistered communities for women that accept candidates that are on medication for a mild but chronic health problem?

littlesister

This screen does not want to behave, but hopefully the message will come through.  These Benedictines of Jesus Crucified were founded for women with handicaps who are self-sufficient but prevented from entering other communities.   They are prayerful, joyful, and inspiring to know.      Best wishes.

M. of the Glorious Cross
61 Burban Drive
Branford, CT 06405-4003, U.S.A.

monasterygc@juno.com

Edited by littlesister
spacing

Little Flower

Visitation nuns are also willing to accept older vocations and womenwith health problems. I believe their rule was actually written with that in mind. There is a wonderful community in Toledo Ohio.

MiserereMeiDeus

I only know of the Visitation communities. Beautiful Order! I don't know if what they allow also includes mental health illnesses. Maybe someone can clarify this? Most cloistered communities are able to attest that one with these type of health issues have a difficult time in a cloistered environment. It's a hard sacrifice for those who do and have this desire, but they are certainly close to Our Lord's Heart.