Sign in to follow this  
TotusTuusMaria

Consecrated Virgin vs. Consecrated Woman

OneHeart
On 3/24/2020 at 11:39 AM, Faustina86 said:

@Fr. Scott I came across this thread and as a member of Secular Institute I appreciate you explaining that we are fully Consecrated because this vocation is widely misunderstood. We receive a serious long formation process before vows. So any information that helps others understand this vocation is helpful. 

I'm really trying to understand all this.  I think the Lord wants me consecrated. But what does that mean.  I'm a third order secular Carmelite, and there is an optional vow I could take. But I've been told very clearly that that does not constitute consecration. So I'm looking elsewhere

So members of secular institutes have the same consecration as religious? Are their vows public? In other words, is it a "terminal" state? That is probably a bad term to use for what I am trying to ask. I'm meaning that in the sense of a "terminal degree" like a PhD.  Is it the end of the line.  I've learned that the OCDS is not a complete vocation. So I'm trying to understand all this.

What is the difference between living public vows, and being consecrated?

Thanks,

Faustina86
1 hour ago, OneHeart said:

I'm really trying to understand all this.  I think the Lord wants me consecrated. But what does that mean.  I'm a third order secular Carmelite, and there is an optional vow I could take. But I've been told very clearly that that does not constitute consecration. So I'm looking elsewhere

So members of secular institutes have the same consecration as religious? Are their vows public? In other words, is it a "terminal" state? That is probably a bad term to use for what I am trying to ask. I'm meaning that in the sense of a "terminal degree" like a PhD.  Is it the end of the line.  I've learned that the OCDS is not a complete vocation. So I'm trying to understand all this.

What is the difference between living public vows, and being consecrated?

Thanks,

Hi OneHeart,

Good questions, I’m not sure I can answer them fully, but I will do my best to answer them to the best of my my ability. Yes it’s the same consecration as religious just lived out differently. We are not in a religious state because we live “in the world” and most members live separately and not in community, but some do. Yes at final vows it is permanent, either under diocesan or pontifical right. (I don’t know if that’s what you mean by terminal?) We use the term semi-public to describe the vows because they are public and recognized by the church but it does not put us in a religious state because we live out the vow in normal daily circumstances of life with every one else. 

"Secular Institutes, although not religious institutes, do at the same time involve true and full profession of the evangelical counsels in the world and are recognized by the Church. This profession confers a consecration on people living in the world, lay men and women, and clerics. 
Therefore they should make it their chief aim to give themselves to God totally in perfect charity. The institutes themselves ought to preserve their own special character--their secular character. That is to say, to the end that they may be able to carry on effectively and everywhere the apostolates in the world and, as it were, from the world, for which they were founded.” (Decree on Renewal of Religious Life, par. 11)

I suggest you read this letter to the Bishops called: Consecration and Secularity

https://www.cmis-int.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Ingl_1295_cop-merged.pdf

I hope this helps a little...

Edited by Faustina86

BarbaraTherese
On 7/8/2017 at 3:44 AM, Sponsa-Christi said:

HOWEVER, this information is all very technical, and shouldn't necessarily be the factor that takes first place in someone's discernment. Just because someone might not be considered technically "consecrated" in canon law doesn't mean that they're not living out the evangelical counsels in actual fact. 

:like2: