An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress For Religious

Andrea348

I can go either way. On one hand, it is nice to see nuns in traditional habit. But clothes do not make the person. We do need to follow tradition, but there is a time and a place for habits. If they live in the inner city trying to reach out to the poor, some might feel intimidated and have preconveived notions, and they won't hear the message at all. I have more that I want to say, but I can't think of it right now.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 23 2005, 05:50 PM']I can go either way. On one hand, it is nice to see nuns in traditional habit. But clothes do not make the person. We do need to follow tradition, but there is a time and a place for habits. If they live in the inner city trying to reach out to the poor, some might feel intimidated and have preconveived notions, and they won't hear the message at all. I have more that I want to say, but I can't think of it right now.
[right][snapback]656043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
I work with Missionaries of Charity in S.t Louis, and the habit probably helps more people trust them. The people see them in the street and know that the Sisters are there to serve them. All the time people come up to them in the street.

[quote name='zabbazooey' date='Jul 23 2005, 05:50 PM']. If they live in the inner city trying to reach out to the poor, some might feel intimidated and have preconveived notions, and they won't hear the message at all. I have more that I want to say, but I can't think of it right now.
[right][snapback]656043[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

While I understand what you are saying the decision still has to lean towards who are we "standing with?" Yes the people we serve may for a split second be intimidated by the habit so what? Relationships take time, any relationship.

More than likely you are right there are preconceived notions...I had them as a child and I was raised Catholic. How are we helping the situation by avoiding it. The only way they are going to be changed is if they are dealt with.

So many religious I have met say they don't wear the habit "for fear of offending someone." Now I am living in Georgia and I "offend" people because I am Catholic. What am I supposed to do, stop? I have lost friends because I told them accept me as Catholic or don't I AIN'T CHANGING.

I have ex-friends some who are very bitter towards me and wished I was dead. I "offend" them because I am alive. Am I supposed to stop that too? :idontknow:

The point I am trying to make and please keep in mind that not only have I been dealing with since I have started investigating religious life but I was raised with this debate. WHO ARE WE LIVING OUR LIVES FOR? Why do you care WHAT PERSON says what, our only priority is to please Jesus. And this covers all the vocations. There are people that just get "offended" at the drop of a hat..SO WHAT, WHO CARES!

I am Pre-Vatican 2, BUT NOT BY MUCH... :D: So when the sisters started coming out of their habits I was there. And all the reasons I am hearing on this site. I have allready dealt with. They are the same ones over and over again. The prevalent thought seems to be "what will society think/" RIGHT, is this the same society who supports gay lifestyles or abortions. I AM SUPPOSED TO CARE WHAT THEY THINK? WHY?

The habit is a sign of consecration to Jesus. I DON'T CARE WHAT PEOPLE THINK. Trust me at the age I am I have learned most people DON'T...THINK THAT IS. And has anyone besides me thought that all this habit versus no habit stuff was started by Satan?

Marieteresa

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='Jun 27 2004, 09:37 PM']This probably sounds harsh but sisters without habits simply seem to be just professional church ladies, instead of consecrated brides of Christ. They look and sould little different than the little old ladies I see at daily Mass.

If you are going to be a consecrated bride of Christ, then in public you should look like it.
[right][snapback]240153[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I totally agree hon...I have visited some active sisters whom don't wear the habit and I got that feel from them. I have also visited some cloistered sisters and got a totally different vibe from them. Like they had something different or maybe it was there love of Christ showing through.

ThyHolyLove

I've always wanted a community that wore the habit, and that's part of the reason that I was in awe at Nashville. Then I met the community I think I might enter with and they wear the modified habit. It's a white top, skirt and veil. At first I was sad that God wasn't calling me to a community with a long habit, but then I felt much better about it. I realized that what I wanted was a community with a habit and that I shouldn't attach my own specifications to it.

So that's my story!

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

I think I will share this here: In some book, I think it is the guide to religious ministries, there is a ad/card in there for these sisters and on the outside it says: "Sometimes you feel like a nun" with pictures of the Sisters praying before the Blessed Sacrament and then you open up the folded part and inside it says: "Sometimes you don't" with a Sister rock climbing.
Disgusting. I do not see how a message like that could draw someone to the religious life. So much for giving up the world for Christ, eh?

Oh, and they don't wear a habit either. :mellow:

All For Jesus

[quote]I think I will share this here: In some book, I think it is the guide to religious ministries, there is a ad/card in there for these sisters and on the outside it says: "Sometimes you feel like a nun" with pictures of the Sisters praying before the Blessed Sacrament and then you open up the folded part and inside it says: "Sometimes you don't" with a Sister rock climbing.
Disgusting. I do not see how a message like that could draw someone to the religious life. So much for giving up the world for Christ, eh?

Oh, and they don't wear a habit either.[/quote]

I saw that ad as well.- very sad...Your right, FutureNunJMJ, I don't know that an ad like that would attract a lot of vocations. I think the habit is a beautiful sign of a person's consecration or espousal to Jesus. It is definitely something that I am looking for in a community.

FutureSoror

[quote name='FutureNunJMJ' date='Jul 27 2005, 08:45 AM']I think I will share this here:  In some book, I think it is the guide to religious ministries, there is a ad/card in there for these sisters and on the outside it says: "Sometimes you feel like a nun" with pictures of the Sisters praying before the Blessed Sacrament and then you open up the folded part and inside it says: "Sometimes you don't" with a Sister rock climbing.
Disgusting.  I do not see how a message like that could draw someone to the religious life.  So much for giving up the world for Christ, eh?

Oh, and they don't wear a habit either. :mellow:
[right][snapback]660718[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Ohhh, I saw that too! :ohno:

If I'm going to be a nun, I want to be a nun! All the time!

I think they say stuff like that to attract young people, but I wonder if that ever works.

[quote name='FutureSoror' date='Jul 27 2005, 09:48 PM']Ohhh, I saw that too!  :ohno:

If I'm going to be a nun, I want to be a nun!  All the time! 

I think they say stuff like that to attract young people, but I wonder if that ever works.
[right][snapback]661927[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

I haven't figured it out yet. But I am insulted, because some orders think because of my age I'll take anything. And then YOU GET TO FEEL INSULTED too because the orders you contact think you are too young (stupid) to know your own mind.

I have been SEARCHING for a long time. And this issue isn't going anywhere. I ask tough questions. Consequently I have gotten hung up on alot. This just spurs me on to not settle for less. Can you imagine doing that in marriage?

The orders that are losing numbers need to be honest and look at the reasons why.

THE WORLD WANTS AND NEEDS A WITNESS. And if they don't I do.

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

I need prayer. I am leaving on Monday to visit the Daughters of the Immaculata. While I am looking forward to it I am still nervous.

I have two other prayer requests. One is for my transmission, HE is getting goofy. There is no money for repairs right now. Is there ever? :o

Two I don't have air conditioning and my housemate has had heat stroke twice in the past. We have asked our churches for help (long story) and been told "we're not here for that" With the heat being what it is I am concerned that when I come back I won't have a housemate.

All of this is distracting me from my visit. I have considered rescheduling the visit, but I know that is not the answer.

I feel so blessed to be a part of Phatmass. Would you please pray for us? THANKS

[quote name='ofpheritup' date='Jul 29 2005, 12:22 PM']I need prayer. I am leaving on Monday to visit the Daughters of the Immaculata.  While I am looking forward to it I am still nervous.

I have two other prayer requests.  One is for my transmission, HE is getting goofy. There is no money for repairs right now. Is there ever? :o

Two I don't have air conditioning and my housemate has had heat stroke twice in the past. We have asked our churches for help (long story)  and been told "we're not here for that"  With the heat being what it is I am concerned that when I come back I won't have a housemate.

[right][snapback]663014[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

Of course I will pray for you!!!!!!!! God bless you and be with you at this time!