An Old School Catholic Message Board

Dress For Religious

Andrea348

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

Nuns are so AWESOME! That first pic reminds me of a missionary friend of mine in Bolivia, she's not a Sister though...

• 4 weeks later...
Fiat_Voluntas_Tua

Yeah...there is a Convent near my school, that doesn't wear their Habits... :-( ... But up at the Monastery, they represent with Habit's and Full Scapular's... :-)

-UIOGD-

Andy

livingHimloud

my thoughts on habits:
if you are so called to be in a religious life style and you have listened to that call and acting God's will for you, then man oh man, good work! you wear whatever you wish, be it habit or lay clothes. wear what helps you do the work of the Lord!
i do not think that when you wear lay clothes you necessarily worry more about what you will wear. one of my best friends is an absolutely beautiful catholic, she practically glows with holiness, and her clothes are modest, and she doesn't worry about what she puts on in the morning, she just puts it on.
if you are so called, then you aren't going to be the type of person that wears clothes that distracts. so go out, spread God's word and love, wear what you wear and be an example!

But wearing the habit is kind of a big part of the religious. It helps people know who you are. When the nuns stopped wearing their habits the vocations dropped to an all time low. Not that I have anything against the nuns who don't wear the habit, I just think that they are better with the habit, and more attractive. The orders that wear the full habit are the ones getting vocations, and the ones without it are basically dying out.

AfroNova No Limit Soldier

Religious should follow whatever their founders/foundresses intended for them to do. There are some Orders whose founders did not intend for them to wear the habit. So don't.

And those that did intend, should.

I've been thinking about this... How about a habit for lay people? And I don't mean something to show off. Like, 3rd order Franciscans used to wear a habit. I want to do that, not for my glory, but for His. Like a scratchy sack cloth that would make me itchy & uncomfortable so I could suffer for the conversion of poor sinners.

We should have that!

[quote name='Andrea348' date='Jun 24 2004, 08:50 PM'] I'm from the Philadelphia/South Jersey area [/quote]
Not to change the subject or anything, but I was born in Mapleshade, NJ and raised in Wilmington, DE. Both my parents were born and raised in Philly (Philadelphia). :cool:

[quote name='Paladin D' date='Sep 6 2004, 11:51 AM'] Not to change the subject or anything, but I was born in Mapleshade, NJ and raised in Wilmington, DE. Both my parents were born and raised in Philly (Philadelphia). :cool: [/quote]
Maple Shade is further west I think. I am from near Atlantic City.

I go to school up in PA a little bit west of Philly in West Chester.

I absolutely love the area. I will miss it if I ever leave.

daugher-of-Mary

[quote]I go to school up in PA a little bit west of Philly in West Chester.

I absolutely love the area. I will miss it if I ever leave. [/quote]

Oh cool! Have you ever been to Mass at St. Pat's in Harrisburg?

Oh cool! Have you ever been to Mass at St. Pat's in Harrisburg?

no.....but that is the home parish of one of my best friends from school!!!!

Edited by Andrea348

Any of you heard of [b]Holy Child[/b] parish in the Wilmington, DE diocese? It's in northern Wilmington (suburb area). That was the first Catholic parish I partcipated in.

• 3 weeks later...

It seems funny that some people in Rel Life dont wear habits - they have so many harder things to get over!!

I know my priest at my chapliancy is one of the holiest, dedicated men you'll meet, but hes forever taking his collar out!! Leave it in, it looks better!!

I know a man who was a priest for 60+ years never took his collar out once woke up...put on his collar and black shirt/pants did not take it off till he went to bed. Did that for over 60 years He was the Man. I think it provides such a great witness. I am actually even for a step up which i dont think many like but i think looks soo cool and even stands out more is Cassocks i think that Priests should actually where Cassocks again.

Crusader, I completely agree concerning cassocks. All four priests that have been at my church wear cassocks! It is great. Also, are you sure that the priest you know did not wear a cassock in the past? I know that in some places in America clerics were being worn even before Vatican II, but I think pretty much everywhere in the 40s priests were wearing cassocks, even in America. God bless.