An Old School Catholic Message Board

Churchill - hero or monster?!

Didacus

Interesting thread. Some of his negative stuff I did not know about. I guess with any person, you have to realize that there is good and bad to him. Recognize the good for what it is worth, and reject the bad.

20 hours ago, Peace said:

I guess with any person, you have to realize that there is good and bad to him. Recognize the good for what it is worth, and reject the bad.

:like2:

• 6 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 8:38 PM, Peace said:

Interesting thread. Some of his negative stuff I did not know about. I guess with any person, you have to realize that there is good and bad to him. Recognize the good for what it is worth, and reject the bad.

I would go one step further - learn from the past and apply it to your life.

A man learns from his mistakes, a wise man learns from the mistakes of others.

• 1 month later...

Interesting thread, with some thoughts I hadn't thunk about before. As my grandfather was at Gallipoli I tend to side with his view of bosses and brass hats. He was very much a "working man" and had no time for toffee nosed wallies. Gallipoli was engineered by Churchill in part and what a b****y fiasco that was. Churchill certainly was a great man and a great statesman. He also was of the aristocracy and with the prejudices of the time. Colonials were expendable, lower classes of course...and he had a monumental ego of his own abilities and sense of entitlement. Because of him to a degree we are having this conversation because without him WW2 may have had a very different outcome indeed.

islandanchoress

I am English and grew up during and after the War . this thread is in some cases deeply disturbing. He saved us from Hitler simply. Anything else is outside .. words fail! He  prevented Europe being overpowered by Germany. You need to read history please. Judge not also comes to mind strongly. He was our inspiration at a dark, dark time after years of being driven into darkness and ruin 

Think I need to sign out. that is how deeply offensive  

• 3 months later...

Churchill knowingly sent thousands of his own troops to die all so he could claim a pyrrhic victory and secure some legend. A monster, no doubt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/20/2020 at 10:33 AM, PaxHominibus said:

Churchill knowingly sent thousands of his own troops to die all so he could claim a pyrrhic victory and secure some legend. A monster, no doubt. 

To which victory are you referring? Which legend did he build on which pyrrhic victory?

On 1/31/2020 at 2:54 PM, Luigi said:

To which victory are you referring? Which legend did he build on which pyrrhic victory?

As a young officer in 1897, Churchill sent thousands of British troops to die in a battle of relatively small strategic importance in a war against Afghan and north-Indian forces. 

20 minutes ago, PaxHominibus said:

As a young officer in 1897, Churchill sent thousands of British troops to die in a battle of relatively small strategic importance in a war against Afghan and north-Indian forces. 

Ah!