An Old School Catholic Message Board

First visit anxiety

28yrolddiscerner

28yrolddiscerner

Hi all,

I’m visiting a community, and I was wondering what I could do to shake off my anxiety? I can be very shy and quiet. Should I bring a gift? Also, I was wondering after how many visits is it normal to apply to a community?

Peace of Christ 

Shaking off anxiety really depends from person to person.  What works for you in other situations?

Also, when you are visiting, they will be trying to put you at ease.  They are there to help, and they will take the lead in asking questions and forming conversations.  However, coming with a list of questions you have thought of beforehand may aid you in conversation, and thus relieve some anxiety.

The number of visits required before applying to a community really varies.  Some communities, particularly cloistered or those who attract a lot of vocations, will allow you to apply after just one visit.  Others may require a first short initial visit then some longer visits.  If you feel ready to apply, you just need to ask what they require.

Edited by JHFamily

Write yourself a few short sentences that you can repeat as off as necessary. I use afraid, scared, nervous, and anxious interchangeably. Customize the wording to suit your own thoughts/feelings.

1. I feel that God might calling me to that place; I'm going so I can find out. So I don't have to be afraid.

2. The people I will meet there were called by God to that place; I don't have to be afraid.

3. The people I will meet in that place were probably nervous the first time they came, too; therefore, they'll understand my nervousness.

4. God is going with me to that place; God is already in that place; therefore, I don't have to nervous/anxious/scared.

And if you get there and you realize God is not calling you to that place, then the visit has still been beneficial - you'll know to strike that place from your list and look elsewhere.

Go in peace to love and serve the Lord.

28yrolddiscerner

Thank you JHFamily and Luigi! Very helpful. The last time I visited a community I prayed a lot and everything went very well.  I think I will do that again. 

Hope you had a great Divine Mercy Sunday! I know I did.

Chiquitunga

I recommend the Novena of Surrender to Jesus!

https://aleteia.org/2017/10/28/jesus-said-there-is-no-better-novena-than-this-one-and-it-has-only-11-words/

https://fullofgraceusa.com/products/new-for-2017-the-surrender-novena-large-trifold-holy-cards

No need to buy anything, it’s all there :) 

Also don’t worry if you don’t have 9 days. You could do like a 9 hour Novena too, which I think Mother Teresa used to do, heard that somewhere