An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why is the Phorum Mostly Dead?

tinytherese

12 hours ago, tinytherese said:

I post from my iPAD, so it might be different from me.

1. Click on "Insert other media."

2.  Click "Insert image from URL." 

3.  Copy and paste the link to there.

harrison-ford-in-apocalypse-nowy-and-mat

You the real mvp

Not sure about that pic. I found that kid so annoying. Like SO. But I think he was supposed to be? So perhaps is evidence of good writing/acting as opposed to Jar Jar? 

AveMariaPurissima

I spend a lot more time in VS than anywhere else on the phorum, but I've noticed that it's been a lot slower there too.  Sometimes when I'm bored and have time to kill I'll go on VS and read posts from several years ago, and it looks like things used to be a lot more lively and interesting back in the day...

On 11/28/2018 at 4:15 PM, Lilllabettt said:

I blame Pope Francis. 

No seriously. I think being an orthodox Catholic was more fun and less confusing before PF. He thinks we are poo in some ways and he tells us that. Hey, he has the prophetic charisma and who said we are supposed to be comfortable? But yeah ... I think for many faithful Catholics who want to love the Pope, e.g. phatmass'core audience,  PF stresses them out. orthodox Catholicism isn't easy to navigate rn. Hard to know what to think or say.

The other reason is that some of phatmass' core group got older and frankly is no longer so hard core. Some rejected the Church teaching on sexuality. Not naming names but these were major players. Once things stop getting responded to every day,  people stop checking every day. Vicious cycle. 

Another reason is that there was I think an attempt to move phatmass into Facebook.  I know there was a big reorganization of the site to make it mobile friendly.  It didnt go smoothly and frankly I think the rumors of message board declines were greatly exaggerated.  Lots of message boards are going stronger than ever . The move to mobile was absolutely necessary tho. I think it took time to work kinks out and in the meantime some members gave up their phix.

Lastly I left. I am the sustaining life force of many organizations so... no me no we. Lol. Just kidding. But I had a stink with a moderator so I left for ... years I think.  

Also cam you write a tutorial about posting images on the phorum. Because its effin hard to figure

I don't know. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that it has to do with that deeply suspicious poster(s)  known as dairygirl4u2c---she, it (alien lifeform, artificial intelligence, bot), or they (a collective, think "Anonymous") used to start debates all the time. Suddenly, dairygirl4u2c stopped posting---and no more debates. And more to it, no more usual posters.  I don't think this is a coincidence... 

Did some of the members of PM ever really exist,  or were they all multiple accounts/manifestations of the same dairygirl4u2c?

5 hours ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

I spend a lot more time in VS than anywhere else on the phorum, but I've noticed that it's been a lot slower there too.  Sometimes when I'm bored and have time to kill I'll go on VS and read posts from several years ago, and it looks like things used to be a lot more lively and interesting back in the day...

Do you think the number of people actively discerning has died down? Or are they just not coming to VS anymore?

I remember when nunsense was bumping around these parts. It was epic. Let's get her back. Pray real loud and she will hear.

3 hours ago, Seven77 said:

I don't know. The conspiracy theorist in me thinks that it has to do with that deeply suspicious poster(s)  known as dairygirl4u2c---she, it (alien lifeform, artificial intelligence, bot), or they (a collective, think "Anonymous") used to start debates all the time. Suddenly, dairygirl4u2c stopped posting---and no more debates. And more to it, no more usual posters.  I don't think this is a coincidence... 

Did some of the members of PM ever really exist,  or were they all multiple accounts/manifestations of the same dairygirl4u2c?

Maybe dairygirl was killed by vegans. Did you know teddy grahams are vegan? As are oreos. I am not a vegan, but I was deeply disturbed to discover that oreos are vegan.

5 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Maybe dairygirl was killed by vegans. Did you know teddy grahams are vegan? As are oreos. I am not a vegan, but I was deeply disturbed to discover that oreos are vegan.

That's funny. I remember finding out somehow that pringles counted as kosher.

11 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

You the real mvp

Not sure about that pic. I found that kid so annoying. Like SO. But I think he was supposed to be? So perhaps is evidence of good writing/acting as opposed to Jar Jar? 

Yea, he might be written to be annoying on purpose to make audiences laugh. Or he could just be unintentionally funny at times like Tommy Wiseau's The Room. I found the image and the Saturday Night Live sketch funny regardless. And heck, I had an excuse to post a silly image rolled with it. 

13 minutes ago, tinytherese said:

That's funny. I remember finding out somehow that pringles counted as kosher.

I might be wrong about this or they might literally not be marked as kosher anymore.

Credo in Deum

I fell away from the faith. Stopped practicing and started deteriorating rather quickly. Lots of drugs and battles with suicidal thoughts, so basically a hopeless existence.  

The good part is this entire thing has shown me that my main issue is trust and self-hatred. I don’t trust God or people and I don’t value myself. I know I will need to do those two things if I’m ever going to be able to fulfill my part in this relationship.

I’ve started to read a book called The Popes Against Modern Errors: 16 Papal Documents. It has really shown me how even when I was considered “practicing” that I wasn’t really orthodox in my thinking. 

While it’s good to be back it’s also difficult to be back. That’s the other thing I’ve noticed is how much sin has changed me inside or maybe it’s that grace is what had kept me from experiencing what fallen man naturally feels like: lost, far from God,  uncomfortable around religious things and persons, untrustworthy, and hopeless.

9 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Do you think the number of people actively discerning has died down? Or are they just not coming to VS anymore?

I remember when nunsense was bumping around these parts. It was epic. Let's get her back. Pray real loud and she will hear.

I know nunsense personally. She was basically kicked off the forum - dust told her the other posters had voted and they considered her to be a trouble maker. Naturally she felt unwelcome after that. You won't get her back here again. She's very happy in her life and doesn't need the validation of phatmass. I lurk here mainly, but the place really has gone downhill since I first joined. I think some people started taking things too seriously and wouldn't allow any dissenting opinions. Maybe that's not it, I don't know. But your comment was kind and I will pass it on to her if I see her.

1 hour ago, cruciatacara said:

I know nunsense personally. 

I often wonder about nunsense, too. Are you able to share if she ended up in religious life? 

1 hour ago, deusluxmea said:

I often wonder about nunsense, too. Are you able to share if she ended up in religious life? 

Yes, but she wouldn't like me talking about her personal life. Sorry.

2 hours ago, cruciatacara said:

I know nunsense personally. She was basically kicked off the forum - dust told her the other posters had voted and they considered her to be a trouble maker. Naturally she felt unwelcome after that. You won't get her back here again. She's very happy in her life and doesn't need the validation of phatmass. I lurk here mainly, but the place really has gone downhill since I first joined. I think some people started taking things too seriously and wouldn't allow any dissenting opinions. Maybe that's not it, I don't know. But your comment was kind and I will pass it on to her if I see her.

I'm so glad that she is happy in her life. What a consolation to know that. God is good.

But what a terrible treatment you describe. Its behavior unrecognizable in the phatmass I remember. I had left by then, I guess, after my own issues. Certainly if a forum is going to survive it needs its "troublemakers".  It is so important who is selected as moderator. If you do speak to nunsense, and please do, tell her that phatmass is ripe for conquering by The Interesting.  Tell her I am more than willing to share power. Lol

5 hours ago, Credo in Deum said:

I fell away from the faith. Stopped practicing and started deteriorating rather quickly. Lots of drugs and battles with suicidal thoughts, so basically a hopeless existence.  

The good part is this entire thing has shown me that my main issue is trust and self-hatred. I don’t trust God or people and I don’t value myself. I know I will need to do those two things if I’m ever going to be able to fulfill my part in this relationship.

I’ve started to read a book called The Popes Against Modern Errors: 16 Papal Documents. It has really shown me how even when I was considered “practicing” that I wasn’t really orthodox in my thinking. 

While it’s good to be back it’s also difficult to be back. That’s the other thing I’ve noticed is how much sin has changed me inside or maybe it’s that grace is what had kept me from experiencing what fallen man naturally feels like: lost, far from God,  uncomfortable around religious things and persons, untrustworthy, and hopeless.

Welcome back. I felt like you describe after I was ejected from the convent.  Except it was in every setting. I felt like an alien. Id forgotten how to wear pantaloons and do my hair. Some one tried to explain Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana to me and I couldnt understand. I can laugh at that part now. But the alienation from God which was horrible, I can't laugh yet. I had this feeling of holy things, religious things, and even the church building itself repelling me. I had a desire to "get away" from them. 

I think what you've suffered is an opportunity. No two people suffer alike. It's a unique experience you've had. It follows that there is unique wisdom and understanding to be gained from that experience.  There is literally no one else who has ever lived, or will ever live, who can pass on the understanding available to you. Therefore you have a duty to live and share this with the world. Otherwise the knowledge of that experience will be lost to us forever.

You will never know what it is like to live a life never having fallen from grace to hopelessness. That particular experience is lost to you, forever.  But what a gift to be acquainted with what "fallen man naturally feels like". I can almost pity people who never experience this. I hope one day you will write a book mapping the path back to God. You can start by writing on phatmass. Just a suggestion<<<<recruiting trick

People change a lot.   Back in the early days, 2001, I posted as jasJis and was a faithful 7/7 Catholic. I taught CCD and confirmation classes and was a volunteer with the parish youth group.   Now I’ve been an atheist for years, don’t see that changing, but have no hatred or disdain for the Catholic Church.   I arrogantly believe I understand it more and respect it more than most Catholics I know.  

I’ve seen other posters here Chang a lot as well.  Some fall away from Catholicism and any morals.    Others seek peace and order elsewhere.  I’ve seen some become Catholic and some get ordained.  It’s always a struggle to be forgiving, empathetic, tolerant, and kind towards those we disagree with.  Especially when we look in the mirror.  

Our social media celebrates group think, and simultaneously  panders to conflict in order to generate interest, attention, and advertising dollars.  We sell our reasonableness for free internet and online “friends”.

It’s extremely rare that people are men or hurtful with the intent to be preemptively mean or hurtful.  Rodney has a point in asking why we can’t all get along. 

AveMariaPurissima
14 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

My guess would be that many of the formerly active posters either entered religious life or discerned that that wasn't their calling -- but then not a lot of new discerners joined the phorum.

I post every now and then in streaks. I used to go by Delivery Boy until I entered AA 63 months ago and switched to my real name at that time. By the grace of God I haven't had a drink although I have new negative addictions. I credit Phatmass for teaching me the faith and Catechizing me. I found this place at around 21 and learned a lot. I go to Mass every week now and on days of Obligation. Also Confession thanks to what I learned here.

I appreciate the leiancy by the moderators over the years. I recently joined Catholic Answers Forum and within the first week was banned until 3018. The reason given was my tone in posts and lack of respect for other posters. No cursing or anything just going all the way in on some lady insinuating only Catholics will probably make it to Heaven. I get where C.A. is coming from with the Mediator of Meh ban hammer although it made me appreciate this place more and what we were/are allowed to get away with.

The last sexual abuse stuff has messed with me. It sorta did in the past although when it happened in the early 2000's I was completely away from the faith. Then over the years I would hear about new stuff off and on. This last time though was tough to stomach. I wanted to join a non denominational Church or something. But I know to much to go that route. Unfortunately I've also used these scandals to justify my own sinful actions which is bad. I haven't been to Confession in 3 or 4 months. And as twisted as it is the scandels are what's going to give me the push to spit out all my grave sins (a ton) to the Priest when I do go. If he wants to yell at me fine (only happened once) but knowing what a lot of the heiarchy is guilty of and covering up I'm just another messed up sinner in good company in need of forgiveness.

I'm guessing a lot of people have left Catholicism because of what happened or are in the process Of leaving now. If you're reading this and thinking about it don't. Especially if you're Holy and a decent person. People like myself need good examples to follow and learn from. And if you're like me and not Holy and thinking of leaving don't. You need Confession and all of the grace God has to pour out on you.