An Old School Catholic Message Board

When will life work out?

lost_in_this_world

lost_in_this_world

I recently changed jobs and moved across the country to finally get some work/life balance. I didn’t realize how much I would miss my previous job even though I was way overworked and stagnant. I attempted to get a higher position and was rejected after being with the company for 7 years, which is mostly why I left. I like where I am living now and I definitely have a much better job in terms of hours but it’s not the job I want. It’s not the title,the pay or the responsibility I want. I’m super under utilized but it’s not their fault, there just isn’t a position for me. So yes I am on the job hunt again but I am just wondering at what point my professional life and personal life balance will finally align. I’m too old to not be progressing. I thought I would enjoy an easier position but I definitely do not. I’m used to being the decision maker and now my opinion doesn’t matter. My concern is that I didn’t choose the right place to live and let others influence the decision too much. But like I said it’s not all bad so maybe I just need to give it more time. But it has been six months....

On 12/2/2018 at 7:39 PM, lost_in_this_world said:

I recently changed jobs and moved across the country to finally get some work/life balance. I didn’t realize how much I would miss my previous job even though I was way overworked and stagnant. I attempted to get a higher position and was rejected after being with the company for 7 years, which is mostly why I left. I like where I am living now and I definitely have a much better job in terms of hours but it’s not the job I want. It’s not the title,the pay or the responsibility I want. I’m super under utilized but it’s not their fault, there just isn’t a position for me. So yes I am on the job hunt again but I am just wondering at what point my professional life and personal life balance will finally align. I’m too old to not be progressing. I thought I would enjoy an easier position but I definitely do not. I’m used to being the decision maker and now my opinion doesn’t matter. My concern is that I didn’t choose the right place to live and let others influence the decision too much. But like I said it’s not all bad so maybe I just need to give it more time. But it has been six months....

The thing is ... and I hate to say this but ... life does not really "work out." I mean, it's likely there will always be something that you are dissatisfied with about life. It's kind of the human condition.

It looks like you learned something really valuable about yourself with the move - so that in and of itself is a productive use of time. If your work/life balance is better, that means you are now in a better place to devote time to discovering a better professional fit. Whereas before I bet you were trying to squeeze in a cross-country job search in between crushing work hours. Insanely hard to do and yet you did it.

• 2 weeks later...

I do wish I could state that your life will work out with perseverance and patience, while those two virtues can be miracle workers.  I am sorry that you have experienced and are experiencing something quite unsatisfactory in life.  It is good, however, that you are happy with where you are now living and that there are some blessings in your new job.... I tend to agree with Lillabet that you are probably in a good place to be looking for something that will utilize your gifts and talents, your experience - gifting you a sense of fulfillment.  I also agree with her that life never really works out, nothing is going to be perfect just as you desire it to be.  It is just the nature of the human condition in a journey that is most always an up (I am all happy) and down (my life is not where I want it) type of journey.......and all the inbetweens.  We are all on that see saw to some degree or other......i.e. the human journey in life.  "No Christian Life without a Cross' (Pope Francis)

I had some great employment in my workforce days, work I really loved and enjoyed...........but there was always that fly in the ointment somewhere, something challenging and unsatisfactory, even downright disturbing.

It becomes a case in rejoicing when things are as one would have it and for any blessings in life, and accepting the challenge when things are not ........ and retaining an active Hope for your future - prayerfully.  You don't have to be on your knees day in and day out, you can simply whenever you think of it ask in your own words for God's Help - including even through the intercessions of Our Lady and our special patron saints for various needs.  Prayer, St Therese has said, is a simple raising of the mind and heart to Jesus and our companion saints in the Mystical Body of Christ asking for help and guidance of The Holy Spirit.

God's Blessings on your searching for a better job.  I notice that your profile states you are Catholic.  St Joseph is not only the Patron of The Church and of a Happy Death, but also a powerful interceder with work related matters - as is St Cajetan.........and of course, in desperate needs and situations, St Jude and St Rita of Cascia.  St Rita is regarded as patron of the impossible.  Personally, I have experienced almost the miraculous with intercession through St Joseph and St Rita, The Holy Spirit.

God's Blessings and His Peace and I do hope things will fall into place for you and very soon.

st-rita-of-cascia-icon-431.jpg

Dear St Rita, I am in great need. You  know well my trials for you yourself were many times burdened in this life. Come to my help, speak for me, pray with me, intercede on my behalf before the Father. I know that God has a most generous heart and that he is a most loving Father. Join your prayers to mine and obtain for me the grace I desire (here mention your request). You who were so very pleasing to God on earth and are so much so now in heaven, I promise to use this favor, when granted, to better my life, to proclaim God's mercy, and to make you more widely known and loved. Amen.  https://www.catholicculture.org/culture/liturgicalyear/prayers/view.cfm?id=1118

It could be that you’re confusing vocation, passion, career, and job. They can all be the same for some people, but for most of us, they’re different. 

49 minutes ago, CatherineM said:

It could be that you’re confusing vocation, passion, career, and job. They can all be the same for some people, but for most of us, they’re different. 

You should make a venn diagram.

I need to find the one that compared characteristics of geeks, nerds, and dorks. Remember that one?