An Old School Catholic Message Board

Avoiding Bitterness About Scandals

tinytherese

The whole article is worth reading, but I've quoted what I think to be the most important parts, which are the last two paragraphs. 

https://www.catholicworldreport.com/2018/10/16/saint-benedicts-wise-words-on-avoiding-the-zeal-of-bitterness/

If reading the news constantly fills you with anxiety and dread, perhaps it is best to turn off the television or the computer, and seek ways not to stress out about the matters you cannot control, but to be a holy influence in the matters to which you can offer your indispensable, necessary presence.  Although the Church is in the middle of several emergencies, the point of crisis is one in our individual hearts: whom shall we serve?  If we are possessed of that good and holy zeal, our response will not be loud clamor and inordinate anger but our ancient weapons: fasting, prayer, and almsgiving.

Finally, we must never despair. God is with us, and he will come to our assistance.  As St. Benedict reminds us, it is the last “instrument of good works”, that is to say, a principle which guides holy living, that we should “never despair of the mercy of God” (IV, LXXII). The mercy of God, that of renewing us and raising us from the stain of our sins, only remains as far as we hold it, and remains as close as we cherish it.  May God so grant that we may receive it for ourselves, and for the Church that we love.

I'm sincerely trying to grow in meekness, tolerance, charitable interpretation, non-judgementalism, etc.

But I could not but think of a particular poster on the phorum when I read this post.

No offence. 

Jack lol All I've posted are videos from CATHOLICS addressing the crisis. I didn't make the videos. These aren't from my living room in my apartment. You act as if I'm making the videos. All I've done is post them. So the issue is not me. Pope Francis was asked about accusations and he told the media to dig in and do their job. So it looks like the Catholic media is doing that. If you want to come to phatmass and sing Kumbya I don't know what to tell you.

The other things I've posted are articles of big deal stories regarding sexual abuse in the Church from mainstream media. These aren't blogs from my laptop I'm writing up. If you don't want the information seen here or can't handle it again I don't know what to tell you. It needs to be talked about non-stop. Because Catholics love to cover it all up. The more people like you **** about it being discussed the more I want to talk about it. Because you have people here like little2add who publically state it's all a scam to smear the Church. You Jack are in the same category as little2add to me now. Your criticism means nothing to me and is irrelevant. So keep at it but I don't care at all or respect anything you say.

As for your post TinyTherese I agree with it and I'm going to read the article. Thanks for posting it. God Bless.

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul

its okay to be outraged, just don't become obsessed with other people's sins

What I mean, don't let other people's sins affect you so much you lose your Faith entirely... 

25 minutes ago, dominicansoul said:

its okay to be outraged, just don't become obsessed with other people's sins

What I mean, don't let other people's sins affect you so much you lose your Faith entirely... 

Well said. God Bless.

7 hours ago, Josh said:

Jack lol All I've posted are videos from CATHOLICS addressing the crisis. I didn't make the videos. These aren't from my living room in my apartment. You act as if I'm making the videos. All I've done is post them. So the issue is not me. Pope Francis was asked about accusations and he told the media to dig in and do their job. So it looks like the Catholic media is doing that. If you want to come to phatmass and sing Kumbya I don't know what to tell you.

The other things I've posted are articles of big deal stories regarding sexual abuse in the Church from mainstream media. These aren't blogs from my laptop I'm writing up. If you don't want the information seen here or can't handle it again I don't know what to tell you. It needs to be talked about non-stop. Because Catholics love to cover it all up. The more people like you **** about it being discussed the more I want to talk about it. Because you have people here like little2add who publically state it's all a scam to smear the Church. You Jack are in the same category as little2add to me now. Your criticism means nothing to me and is irrelevant. So keep at it but I don't care at all or respect anything you say.

As for your post TinyTherese I agree with it and I'm going to read the article. Thanks for posting it. God Bless.

I do not think it is a scam to smear the Church. I have made that abundantly clear in my posts already. I acknowledge the abuse and coverup. What I don't get is what so much discussion on this accomplishes.  

4 hours ago, Jack4 said:

I do not think it is a scam to smear the Church. I have made that abundantly clear in my posts already. I acknowledge the abuse and coverup. What I don't get is what so much discussion on this accomplishes.  

This is the post I'm referring to:

6 hours ago, Jack4 said:

The more people like you **** about it being discussed the more I want to talk about it. Because you have people here like little2add who publically state it's all a scam to smear the Church. You Jack are in the same category as little2add to me now.

In your post, you implied that think that it's a scam to smear the Church (in the same category of those who think so). I was protesting that I do not - I have made the contrary very clear on the phorum. I did not say that you do not pray. I was merely reminding all posters. 

You still have not addressed the substance of my post (I won't say I'm surprised, given your track record in the other thread) - what concrete good arises from discussing the scandals in the way you do?

2 hours ago, Jack4 said:

In your post, you implied that think that it's a scam to smear the Church (in the same category of those who think so). I was protesting that I do not - I have made the contrary very clear on the phorum. I did not say that you do not pray. I was merely reminding all posters. 

You still have not addressed the substance of my post (I won't say I'm surprised, given your track record in the other thread) - what concrete good arises from discussing the scandals in the way you do?

I have no desire to go back n forth with you in the other post. I accept ALL THE TEACHINGS IN THE CATECHISM. You don't. You make excuses not to accept the teaching on the death penalty. So you pick and choose what you accept. As far as slavery I'm not cool with it. How about this show me evidence the Church still supports slavery. If you can do it perhaps I will stop being Catholic this morning and I will be gone for good from the forums. So get to work. You can kill two birds with one stone. I hate racism as much as sexual abuse and cover-ups of minors. So there's a good chance you can push me to my breaking point. 

As far as the sexual abuse videos (FROM CATHOLIC MEDIA) and mainstream news sexual abuse and ccover-up posts...How exactly do I "discuss it" in a way that's not acceptable by you? 95% of the time I've posted the video link with minimal commentenary(from me) from a Catholic source or the news article from a mainstream news source. I've replied to comments and discussed once comments have been left. So be way more specific where I'm going wrong. Not that I care one way or the other. But regardless be more specific.

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, Jack4 said:

Read it again. I said "Because you have people here like little2add who publically state it's all a scam to smear the Church."

The "you" being used there is not addressing you. If I say to you

"you have bulls fans at the palace durning the pistons game" that doesn't  mean I'm referencing you. Really? Wth

2 hours ago, Josh said:

Read it again. I said "Because you have people here like little2add who publically state it's all a scam to smear the Church."

The "you" being used there is not addressing you. If I say to you

"you have bulls fans at the palace durning the pistons game" that doesn't  mean I'm referencing you. Really? Wth

You said that I'm in the same category as little2add.

Sorry if I misread you; English is not my first language.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

I have no desire to go back n forth with you in the other post.

Are you saying that you will make claims but will not respond when others want to engage you about it? 

I accept ALL THE TEACHINGS IN THE CATECHISM. You don't. You make excuses not to accept the teaching on the death penalty. So you pick and choose what you accept.

I don't "pick and choose".  I believe in the traditional doctrine of the Church. 

You imply that a Catholic should accept everything in the Catechism. That is wrong. I have already pointed that out multiple times quoting an authority no less than Cardinal Ratzinger.  

As far as slavery I'm not cool with it. How about this show me evidence the Church still supports slavery.

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur. You make a claim, you back it up. 

If you can do it perhaps I will stop being Catholic this morning and I will be gone for good from the forums. So get to work. You can kill two birds with one stone.

I do not consider you an enemy.

I hate racism as much as sexual abuse and cover-ups of minors. 

The fact that you immediately think racism when you think slavery shows you don't know about slavery and that you do not read/understand what I wrote in the other thread.

As far as the sexual abuse videos (FROM CATHOLIC MEDIA) and mainstream news sexual abuse and ccover-up posts...How exactly do I "discuss it" in a way that's not acceptable by you? 95% of the time I've posted the video link with minimal commentenary(from me) from a Catholic source or the news article from a mainstream news source. I've replied to comments and discussed once comments have been left. So be way more specific where I'm going wrong. Not that I care one way or the other. But regardless be more specific.

You still haven't answered my question. Let me phrase it this way: Why do you post news about the sandals, what good do you intend to accomplish?