An Old School Catholic Message Board

2019 Entrances, Vows, Ordinations

Pax17

The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, clothed five new novices on August 17.

The Carmel of  Jesus, Mary and Joseph, clothed a new novice on August 15, the Feast of the Assumption, and received a new  postulant yesterday on the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

The Benedictines of Mary, Queen of Apostles, clothed five new novices on August 17.  Four sisters made their first vows.

The Carmel of  Jesus, Mary and Joseph, clothed a new novice on August 15, the Feast of the Assumption, and received a new  postulant yesterday on the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary

Is it me or has responding to a potential call to the priesthood and/or religious life have increased?  There also seems to be more ordinations and/or final religious professions.

Anyone have statistics?

AveMariaPurissima
17 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Is it me or has responding to a potential call to the priesthood and/or religious life have increased?  There also seems to be more ordinations and/or final religious professions.

Anyone have statistics?

You might be on to something there: https://www.globalsistersreport.org/news/trends/cara-survey-shows-uptick-number-men-women-taking-perpetual-vows-55834 

:)

Unfortunately, 240 per year is rather pathetic, even if it is an uptick.  That amounts to less than 5 per state. 

There are hotspots, however, that bring hope.  I know one parish that has 4 young ladies in the same novitiate.  My home parish has been getting one stable vocation (meaning that they haven't left the novitiate -- we've had more than that actually enter) for the last 4 years.

Edited by JHFamily

3 hours ago, AveMariaPurissima said:

I am hoping so. :)   Thank you for the article.

3 hours ago, JHFamily said:

Unfortunately, 240 per year is rather pathetic, even if it is an uptick.  That amounts to less than 5 per state. 

Even if the increase is only slight, it is an increase and I am grateful for it.  I hope and pray it will grow - even if it is only one little step at a time.

I am surprised that there are not comprehensive statistics put out by the hierarchy.  I did think there would have been with each diocese making reports to a central body.

From Mount Angel Benedictine Abbey in Oregon, USA:

We have a few special events coming up at Mount Angel in September! Before Vespers on September 6, our four postulants will be received into their year of novitiate. On September 7, our two current novices, Br. Tay and Br. Michael, will make their first profession at a Mass at 10 am. And on September 12, Br. Israel will make his Solemn Profession at a Mass at 4 pm. 

From Conception Benedictine Abbey in northwest Missouri: 

Join us for Mass and the Solemn Profession of Vows of Br. Luke and Br. Matthew. During the Rite, Brothers Luke and Matthew will make permanent their vows of obedience, stability, and conversion of life (coversatio morum) as they promise to belong to Christ and the monastery for the rest of their lives. Please pray for them and for other men to answer the call to monastic life. [This takes place Saturday, September 7.]

From Mount Angel Abbey in Oregon: 

We welcome all who can join us on Friday [September 6], at 5 pm, for the investiture ceremony of four new novices: David Hernandez, Luke Klotz, Trent Sislow, and Zachary Norsted. They have completed their six months of postulancy and we rejoice to welcome them into this next phase of their monastic life and discernment! On Saturday [September 7], during the morning Mass at 10 am, we celebrate the first vows of Br. Tay Nguyen and Br. Michael Hamilton, who have just completed their year of novitiate.

Conception, Mount Angel, and Subiaco are all monasteries of the Swiss-American Congregation. Apparently it is their custom that monks enter and/or make vows in September and February. 

From Subiaco Abbey in Arkansas: 

SOLEMN PROFESSION FOR BR. IRENAEUS: Br. Irenaeus Petree, O.S.B made his solemn profession of vows as a monk of Subiaco Abbey at Mass on August 31, 2019, in the Abbey Church. Having completed the period of triennial vows, he professed this life-long commitment as a Benedictine monk. Br. Irenaeus has served at Subiaco Abbey as a Bell Ringer, Recycling Coordinator, and Peanut Brittle and Hot Sauce Assistant, amongst a multitude of other tasks, chores, and duties. Br. Irenaeus grew up in Jefferson City, MO, and he worked in several restaurants, bookstores and various other jobs before spending most of his career with the State of Missouri in clerical work. He has now been assigned by Abbot Leonard to the Development Office, working at the front desk and helping with other necessary duties. During the rite of Solemn Profession, Br. Irenaeus chanted the Latin: “Suscipe me, Domine, secundum eloquium tuum et vivam, et non confundas me ab expectatione mea” which in English is “Sustain me, O Lord, as you have promised, that I may live, and disappoint me not in my hope.” These words from the 116th verse of Psalm 119 have echoed throughout the centuries in the profession rites of Benedictine monks. This prayer of supplication, however, is only one example from the rite of the solemn profession of a monk that has shed some light on the journey toward God. The mystical burial and the sign of peace also show glimpses of the great task that lies before the newly professed as he continues his search for God in the monastery until death. In the mystical burial which follows the chanting of the Suscipe me, Domine (Psalm 119:116), the newly-professed monk lies prostrate before the altar, and is covered with the funeral pall, symbolizing death to his former way of life. The paschal candle, symbolic of the Risen Christ, lights his path in his exodus from death to life. Accompanying him on this journey are all of the saints, represented by a solemn plea for their assistance in the Litany of Saints. The sign of peace given by the solemnly-professed members of the community to the newly-professed monk most eloquently expresses the command of our holy founder Saint Benedict, in the words of chapter 72 of the Rule on the good zeal which monks ought to have. In this beautiful expression of fraternity, the newly-professed receives the assurance that his confreres will support him in the tasks which he has undertaken for the salvation of his soul and also their promise to be a source of strength and encouragement as he continues to persevere in his commitment to God. Subiaco Abbey is a Benedictine monastery of the Swiss-American congregation located in Subiaco, Arkansas. It was founded in 1878 by monks from St. Meinrad in Indiana and the Abbey of Maria Einsiedeln in Einsiedeln, Switzerland. Today the abbey is comprised of thirty-five solemnly professed monks and four members in formation. More information can be found at the Abbey website of www.subi.org.

From the Dominican Province of the Holy Name of Jesus (Western United States):

Eight novices professed first vows on August 31st.. That's in the video, linked below. They also received four novices on August 29th. https://www.facebook.com/opwestvocations/videos/908145392874576/?__tn__=%2Cd%2CP-R&eid=ARCtvOVyTJysb0YFneNTzscBioPiJVGfwKNvPsRIMStO9du9DnJeu33wrf46EqyW0oDiFLOf8zMKpRgn

2 hours ago, passerby said:

The Dominican Sisters of St. Joseph just welcomed 3 new postulants! I don't check their website often but so glad that I did.

Can you give us a link so we can read about them?