An Old School Catholic Message Board

2019 Entrances, Vows, Ordinations

Pax17

Here they are. For a fleeting moment they actually had four postulants in the house - but one was received as a novice today. :) This is quite a big deal in the UK. I don't think I have ever seen a congregation here with three postulants at once. Prayers for their perseverance.

As an aside, I remember meeting Sister Mary Benedicta at a Youth 2000 retreat when she was a pretty new novice herself. It's lovely to see that she's now the novice mistress!

Sister Leticia

Whoops - I didn't see Beatitude's post as I was adding mine. But just to add...

57 minutes ago, beatitude said:

This is quite a big deal in the UK. I don't think I have ever seen a congregation here with three postulants at once.

Three is indeed rare, but isn't completely unknown here. Last year I remember seeing that the Dominican sisters of Stone welcomed three novices. I can't find the entry on their website, but there's a photo of the 3 on the friars' website 

https://www.blackfriarscambridge.org.uk/2019/02/08/novices-in-norwich/

And... 8 years ago 3 women joined us. They were our first candidates for some years, and so when they became novices in September 2012 we effectively opened a new noviciate

http://societysacredheart.org.uk/News-Events/Opening-of-the-new-novitiate

The beginning of September is one of the traditional times for entry into religious life in this country, often around Our Lady's birthday. So there may well be others entering, becoming novices, making vows around about now (in fact, I know there are two Jesuits who made first vows yesterday). So prayers for all of them, and for those who are discerning.

4 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

And... 8 years ago 3 women joined us. They were our first candidates for some years

I think sometimes it just takes some young women that "happen" to be visiting at the same time to meld, if you will, and entering together, overcome the fears of entering a community that hasn't had a vocation in a while.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, Sister Leticia said:

This is their Facebook page - scroll down for photos https://www.facebook.com/OPSisters/

I think a former Phatmasser belongs to this community. She entered before I joined the forum, but I've seen others refer to her - Laetitia Crucis. 

Hopefully there will be a pic of the new novice?

From Subiaco Benedictine Abbey in Arkansas:

PROFESSION of Brother André: The simple profession of a Tupper Lake, NY, resident as a Benedictine monk took place in the Subiaco Abbey Church September 8, 2019. During Vespers on September 8, 2019, Novice Jesse Bedore presented his written and signed petition to Abbot Leonard who then welcomed his public profession of monastic vows for three years. Reflecting this change in his state of life, the Abbot assigned him a new name: Br. André. After three years, he will be eligible to make his final, perpetual vows. The profession ceremony in our Swiss-American Benedictine tradition had six parts. (1) The novice made his request to become a monk. (2) Abbot Leonard addressed him in the name of the community. (3) He showed him the Rule of St. Benedict and asked if he were willing to observe; he then asked the novice to express his commitment by answering questions. (4) Novice Jesse then read the document of his profession, in which he revealed his new monastic name, Br. André. Then he showed the document to Abbot Leonard, signed it and gave it to him. (5) The Abbot blessed the monastic habit and clothed him with it. (6) The newly professed returned to his place in the community and Vespers continued. CONGRATULATIONS to Brother André! Please say a prayer for him. UIOGD!

From the Trappist Abbey New Clairvaux in California: 

"On September 08, 2019, Brother William Chng made solemn profession at the monastery of Vina (USA). Brother William was born in 1945 in Singapore. He entered Vina in 2011 and made first profession in 2015."

Run the numbers with me. Born in '45, entered in 2011 - at the age of 66. Made first profession in 2015  - so that's four years as a novice, and professed at age 70. Final profession in 2019, at age 74. You don't see that just every day!

• 2 weeks later...

From St. Joseph Abbey in Louisiana: 

July 17 · Congratulations to Br. Jerome Aubert who pronounced perpetual vows as a monk at Saint Joseph Abbey on July 11th, the feast of St. Benedict.

September 23 - During Vespers on the evening of September 14th, the Feast of the Exaltation of the Cross, two novices took their first vows in the Abbey Church, committing themselves to three years as Benedictine monks at the Abbey. Congratulations to Alex (with beard), who was given the name Joseph and will now be known as Br. Joseph Alex Boucher, and Cody, who will now be known as Br. Columba Cody Cotton. 

September 26 · The Abbey welcomed Dominic Schaefer and Christian Salinas into the Novitiate. For the next year, leading up to their first vows, both men will immerse themselves in the monastery, contributing to the life of the community in prayer and work (Ora et Labora).

From Saint Leo Abbey in Florida: 

July 18 · During the first vespers of the Feast of Our Holy Father Benedict, July 10, we admitted Jonathan Melgar to the Novitiate. If he looks familiar it is because he was a novice previously in 2015-2016. When asked what he wishes of this monastic community, he paused long and hard, and while choking back tears proclaimed that he wants to live our way of life. Our beloved young brother has returned to us and his name is Matthias. Rejoice!

July 19 · The monastic community admitted a new junior monk, Brother Giovanni, during Mass on July 11, 2019, which is the Feast of Saint Benedict. Abbot Isaac Camacho, OSB, presided.

July 22 · Sunday, July 14th, Saint Leo Abbey celebrated its second Solemn Profession in 2 years, Brother Lucius Amarillas. 

Edited by Luigi