An Old School Catholic Message Board

Order similar to Daughters of Mary

susanbherald

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar order to the Daughters of Mary Mother of our Savior, but not, like, schismatic?

It might be helpful to know more what you like about the Daughters of Mary? Their charism, ministries, prayer life, TLM?

34 minutes ago, deusluxmea said:

It might be helpful to know more what you like about the Daughters of Mary? Their charism, ministries, prayer life, TLM?

Charism? And the TLM

14 hours ago, susanbherald said:

Charism? And the TLM

You may want to take a look at the Sisters Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. They have schools an the TLM

https://www.saintbenedict.com/theorder/sisters

They have been recently approved by the Church 

Steps toward recognition of the Slaves of the Immaculate Heart of Mary in the Diocese of Worcester have also advanced. In 2002, then Bishop Daniel Reilly came to the Center and after a ceremony in the chapel where the community recited and signed a copy of the Creed, he gave his formal blessing for our “regularization” – meaning, the Slaves are Catholics in good standing.

On October 27, 2017, Most Reverend Robert J. McManus, Bishop Reilly’s successor issued a decree giving us canonical juridical status, raising our community to a Public Association of the Faithful. This was our single prayer intention from the beginning of the year—the Centennial of the apparitions of Our Lady at Fatima. 

Blessings on your discernment!  

I don't know how important the Latin Mass is for you. The order that first comes to mind is the Benedictines of Mary in Missouri. They were founded by the FSSP. However, their schedule looks more contemplative  and they do not have a teaching aspect like the Daughters of Mary.

Another order is The Carmelite Sisters of the Most Sacred Heart of Los Angeles. Like the Daughters of Mary, they have a focus on the Sacred Heart, are semi-contemplative, and some of the sisters teach.

And ya know, I would wonder if the Nashville Dominicans might be worth you taking a look. They live a traditional religious life, they also teach, they sing, and they have a contemplative dimension. Just a thought.

Prayers you may find your place, and I hope we can be helpful for you. 

What about the Marian Sisters of Santa Rosa or the Sisters of Mary, Mother of the Church (made up of sisters formerly part of the sedevacantist CMRI order who have have reconciled with the church and are in good standing with their diocese)? Maybe the Missionary Sisters of St Francis of Assisi or the Children of Mary?

In doing a little research, there is a community called the "Daughters of Mary," which is affiliated with Bishop Clarence Kelly ( outside the Church of Rome ). They have TLM .  They are part of Pius X group.

8 hours ago, TIWW said:

In doing a little research, there is a community called the "Daughters of Mary," which is affiliated with Bishop Clarence Kelly ( outside the Church of Rome ). They have TLM .  They are part of Pius X group.

Actually, they are part of the Society of St. Pius V--which is even more problematic than the SSPX. I would avoid these people like the plague. 

15 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

Actually, they are part of the Society of St. Pius V--which is even more problematic than the SSPX. I would avoid these people like the plague. 

Not to defend either one of them in anyway, just curious, why is SSPV worse then SSPX? What are the differences between them?

Also, I had wrote to them before asking because their media was not clear and they responded:

"Thank you contacting us.  To answer your question, in this time of confusion we have grave reservations about the changes implemented in the Church after the Second Vatican Council and about the practices of the modern hierarchy.  Our Congregation doesn't have the authority, nor does it assume the authority, to make a proclamation as to whether Francis is a valid pope or not, nor do we try to impose our opinion on others.  In keeping with St. Paul's advice, we "stand fast; and hold the traditions which [we] have learned," and try to live religious life as it was lived before the changes.  (2 Thess 2:14)"

can anyone analysis that

Also, does SSPX also not say if the Pope is valid or not or do they just outright say the Pope is fake?

Yes, Nunsuch, I agree. I think neither group believes that not much that's happened in Roman Catholic Church has been "valid," since 1958. I grew up in the 50's-60's. and played the organ for all the many Latin Masses, when my SSND teacher went to summer school. I LOVED that. I miss that. I live in MN and go to a Benedictine Abbey frequently, (and have been going there for 35 years)  where we often sing some of the Latin Masses.  But life moves on, and the Holy Spirit works through the Church, and we continue to grow in Faith, despite the externals. 

4 hours ago, susanbherald said:

Not to defend either one of them in anyway, just curious, why is SSPV worse then SSPX? What are the differences between them?

Among other things, the SSPV hold the Pope's legitimacy as well as the Ordinary Form's validity in question - and thus there is no practical end in sight for their separation. This is not the place to go into just how problematic that is. The SSPV split off from the SSPX in 1983.

The SSPX, as far as I know, both acknowledges Francis as Pope and accepts the Ordinary Form as valid (i.e. they allow it is a real Mass, despite any other objections they may have). The SSPX is in talks with the Vatican, and Pope Francis has granted them priests faculties for confession, so there's...something there, and some kind of possibility they might be canonically regularised someday. However, practically speaking the SSPX operates in locations without the sanction of the local bishop and hence without the approval of the Pope. As for what that means for religious orders who are attached to the Society...what does a vow of obedience mean if the superior is not himself obedient to authority established by God?

Prayers for you on your journey.

Chrisostom has largely answered the question about why SSPV is so problematic. In addition, they view NO priest ordained under the rite approved in 1962 (or after that) as validly ordained--and, thus, no sacraments administered by them as valid. They are, of course, sede vacantists. And they broke from SSPX because they believe the latter to be "too sympathetic" to the "heretical" Vatican II Church.