Sign in to follow this  
annamarie

Handmaids of Mary Immaculate

annamarie

Hi I am looking for some information.  Back when I was younger there was a community of sisters that resided on the grounds of the Blue Army Shrine in Washington NJ.  They were called the Handmaids of Mary Immaculate.  I no longer live in NJ, however I am trying to contact that order.  However, I am not finding anything on them.  Are they still there?  or did they disband?  Does anyone know what happened?

deusluxmea

I can’t say i am familiar with this order. Maybe try contacting the vocations office of the diocese of metuchen email is religious@diometuchen.org

HollyDolly

I looked them up too.They are in the book Convent Life  By Joan Lexau  published 1964 by Dial press. You can also go to archive.org and search for A Guide to Catholic Sisterhoods in the United States, by Rev.Thomas P McCarthy.You can read  the book for free on line.You can flip the pages and see all the communities, some of which  like the Handmaids of Mary Immmaculate,, Society of christ Our king, Grey Sisters of St.Elizabeth  and a few others are no longer here.The Grey Sisters of St.Elizabeth were founded in I believe Lativa, by some german women to help the poor and sick.The order  is still around, but not in America. And yes, the HMI were supressed.Think it was all over issues with the Blue Army Shrine.