An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missionary Sisters of St. Francis of Assis

susanbherald

I think it's a poor show when communities don't take the trouble to answer people who write expressing interest. Sorry if that sounds uncharitable but it does annoy me. Fair enough if there is a delay if it's during Lent or their retreat.

6 minutes ago, Nunsuch said:

Too many red flags, in my opinion. I'm sorry, but I think it's time to move on.

Agreed.

Totally Franciscan
3 hours ago, GraceUk said:

I think it's a poor show when communities don't take the trouble to answer people who write expressing interest. Sorry if that sounds uncharitable but it does annoy me. Fair enough if there is a delay if it's during Lent or their retreat.

I agree, Grace.  I contacted by snail mail two Poor Clare communities expressing interest and perhaps entrance into their communities.  I never heard back from either of them.  When someone pours their heart and soul out to them, I think it lacks charity to not at least acknowledge the letter and confirm or deny based on its content.  It leaves one wondering what did I say that was so offensive that they would not even reply.  

It's not you, it's them.  It would be better if you chose a community like say the School Sisters of Christ the King for example.They have been around for quite a while, have a number of sisters, and I think they would  respond to your questions.

It seems these sisters don't know exactly what direction they want to take,etc.

If I founded a community which isn't likely, ii would be modeled after the Daughters of Charity and their work. Certainly if someone is a professional  like a teacher or social worker,or any talent really, they would be welcome to visit etc.

If you want to work with family's there is a group, the Missionary Servants of the Holy Family in Kansas. Don't know how many members they have, but they do have a website. There is also the Rural Parish Workers of christ the King.They were listed in the book Convent Life by Joan Lexau as a secular institute and are in Missouri. They live in community, and have been around since 1964, when the book was printed.I think an established order,especially one that has been around for a number of years might be a better choice.

Here's some more. The ones in kansas are actually the Franciscan Servants of the Holy Family. The are in the Archdiocese of Kansas City,  and there doesn't seem to be any confusion as to their mission,etc.

8 hours ago, HollyDolly said:

If you want to work with family's there is a group, the Missionary Servants of the Holy Family in Kansas.

That also reminds me of Filiae Laboris Mariae located at the FSSP parish in Minneapolis, Church of All Saints.   They attend the TLM and recite the Office in Latin.

From the Facebook page of the parish:

"We are very pleased to be able to welcome Sisters to our ever-growing Fraternity of St. Peter parish! The traditional order, 'Filiae Laboris Mariae' (Daughters of the Works of Mary) just arrived one week ago today after much work was done to renovate our convent building. (Thank you to all who helped with this effort!) A relatively new, semi-contemplative, semi-active order based on the Augustinian rule, the Sisters daily pray the entirety of the traditional Divine Office in common and will be devoted towards working in our successful homeschool co-op and helping teach Catechism and First Communion classes to our young people, amongst other tasks yet to be determined. We are so blessed by their joyful presence and look forward to many wonderful years ahead. Deo gratias!"

It appears they have five sisters.  

Yes, I found them quite by accident.  They could be a good choice, and obviously   have a good repuation according to the Parish Facebook Page.

• 2 weeks later...
gloriana35

Nunsuch made very good points. I know nothing whatever of this community, but it does seem odd - and how do they have 34 applicants in their circumstances? You may need to exercise great caution about seeking to be a foundress. 

On 6/23/2020 at 11:13 AM, Totally Franciscan said:

I think it lacks charity to not at least acknowledge the letter and confirm or deny based on its content.  It leaves one wondering what did I say that was so offensive that they would not even reply.  

Yes, it is quite easy to begin looking for a fault in oneself, especially if one (quite naturally) looks "up" to the community in advance, simply because they are religious. I find it helpful to reverse the situation: I am a sister who manages vocation enquirers, someone sent me that (mine) letter. Usually it is enough. Also, even if a letter is "rude" (although cannot imagine that one who thinks about  a possibility to enter who write a rude letter) why not to answer "here is the info however you should correct your rudeness, here and here".

Such silences can be very discouraging and dampen the spirit. Yet it is them, not you.