An Old School Catholic Message Board

Facebook

BarbTherese

BarbTherese

Our Prime Minister and other senior politicians in Australia are critical of Facebook for allowing the manifesto of the hate crime murderer of 50 people (to date) in New Zealand massacre to appear on Facebook. 

For these reasons and other serious social problems created through Facebook, I will never become a member of the website and thus be supportive of it and of its practises.

cruciatacara

Unfortunately there is little alternative for what I use it for... the community buy/swap/sell groups. I never post anything personal and don't use it for social interactions, just to find second hand items for sale and to ask for quotes for some services from people like delivering things, helping with the garden, lost pets etc. These groups replace the old community bulletin boards, and I would switch in an instant if there were any good ones out there. AirTasker is handy for the city but not for regional areas. But a lot of people I know are leaving FB so maybe one day someone will create something more benign to use.

I am not operating any sort of business and so have been able very happily to revert to a previous age.  People who want to contact me have to use the front doorbell, phone, email or letter and it serves me ok without problems.  All my family are on Facebook but I won't go there and I am still in contact with them without problems.

I don't know if it is international, I suspect not, but I sometimes use gumtree.com.au for one reason or another including trades and helpers etc. for around the house.

I am in the happy position of not needing Facebook.  

Edited by BarbaraTherese

cruciatacara

Yes, that is a nice state to be in, not needing FB. I don't run a business either and people contact me the same way they do you. But as I was recently living in a rural area with no gumtree or airtasker or other community connections, I found FB very useful in their buy/swap/sell groups. In fact, people in my country town used it for all manner of things. One day I had chickens show up in my yard so posted on the group page and asked if someone owned them. I got a reply right away saying they lived two doors down from me! LOL I think the whole town belonged to the group.

Now I live in a larger town but still find that the community groups are very helpful. I belong to one that is a community garden group and they get together to swap excess garden products like veges or fruit, but they communicate on FB then meet in person to do the swaps. This way I don't have to give out my address or phone number to others, just communicate via the group.

I will be one of the first to run away from FB when I find a good alternative for it. I have met so many wonderful people via the community groups and wish we could all communicate somewhere else.

Facebook and social media are again in the spotlight as a young university student white racist posted many extreme hate messages.  He has appeared in court.  He has not committed a crime but is considered a considerable risk.  

Both the Australian government and New Zealand government too are looking into social media outlets.

There are calls in Australia by senior politicians for Google and social media to take more responsibility for what they publish.   One previous prime minister is calling too for anonymity on the internet to cease.

Our current Australian Prime Minister is providing $55 million to upgrade security for schools, places of worship and places of gathering.

Why has it taken the loss of 50 innocent lives?  I can't help but wonder how long it will be before some other (usually sensationalist type) event claims media headlines and attention and therefore our own and those in government too.

Pray

Edited by BarbaraTherese

"Tech giants must now

use their

power to fight racist hate online"

"For companies with revenues greater than those

of many sovereign nations,

this ought to be a soluble problem."

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/editorials/new-zealand-online-platforms-hate-youtube-google-facebook-a8826286.html

Excerpts: The question for politicians and powerful companies is what can be done to make horrors such as the Christchurch killings less likely in future

Sajid Javid, the home secretary, reflected the common view in the wake of the killings in Christchurch, New Zealand, when he told the big tech companies: “Take some ownership. Enough is enough.” 

Addressing Facebook, YouTube, which is owned by Google, and Twitter – on Twitter, ironically enough – he was right to identify their responsibility..............

..............Facebook tried to act quickly after the New Zealand murderer started to live-stream video of his killing spree on its website, but it and YouTube were always lagging behind. As quickly as they took the material down, their users shared and reposted it.

For companies with revenues greater than those

of many sovereign nations,

this ought to be a soluble problem. 

NeuInstalliert

I am honestly amazed FB is still thriving. I thought it would have died off maybe 5 years after MySpace did. The demographic has changed a lot since it first got a large user base, though. I used to frequent FB all the time, but it's a cesspool I hate to partake in. FB constantly banning folk for jokes, meanwhile people are able to post videos of child abuse?! I constantly got banned / post blocked at least once a month on there, commonly for joking content. Not to mention the constant bickering from folk on there. FB burnt me out. I've been staying away. 

There's a few closed communities on there that I enjoyed, but they're the types you have to dig and find. Good educational communities, as well as support. However they're not necessarily exclusive to FB. 

Zuckerberg and his company are weird and sketchy. In a way I'm glad to be away from FB, but I still use Instagram and Whatsapp occasionally, so I'm not entirely free from Zuckerberg..