An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

(My two cents: A rule of life is a means to an end - and the end and purpose of the rule transcends the means.  I need to avoid making the means an end in itself.  Living under a rule of life can ask a good dose of down to earth common sense.  This applies to monastic living as well as secular living.

Pre V2 there was a term "a walking rule".  It was said if every copy of the rule was destroyed, one could rewrite it by observing a nun who was "a walking rule".  There could even be a promoted desire to become a walking rule.  Such nuns doubtless could reach the absolute heights of holiness, even if rather often quite difficult to live with in the day to day.  A rule of life has the end purpose of growth in Charity............

...........you do the maths :) )

St Albert's Rule of Life for Carmel - shortest rule of life in The Church:  He concludes the rule of life with this "[24] Here then are the few points I have written down to provide you with a standard of conduct to live up to; but our Lord, at his second coming will reward anyone who does more than he is obliged to do. See that the bounds of common sense are not exceeded, however, for common sense is the guide of the virtues."

The following reflection applies to "Chapter 48: On the Daily Manual Labor" from the Rule of St Benedict.

"Don't try to make the demands of your secular life seem less than those of monasteries themselves. They aren't. They are your first vocation, your "day job", if you will. It is true that, for most Oblates, your Benedictine calling is in addition to some other vocation. Both must always be respected, if anything has to suffer, the primary vocation comes first. (Hence the name!)

By now I think most of you know me well enough to realize that I spend the great bulk of my time and effort trying to explain to you how the Holy Rule (of St Benedict) IS applicable to daily life anywhere. This is one
area, however- and there are sure to be others- when I have to tell you that it is usually NOT applicable fully.

Love and prayers,
Jerome, OSB
http://www.stmarysmonastery.org
Petersham, MA "

To subscribe to the Rule Reflections https://www.stmarysmonastery.org/holy_rule_reflections.html

home-st-marys-monastery-0813.jpg

Brother Leo is kneeling down right in the front.

Staying true to The Faith in a                   hostile environment

in-a-world.png

61Ry0tNbNHL._SY679_.jpg

Bob Dylan "Maggie's Farm"

Edited by BarbaraTherese

padre_pio_alta_ris.jpg

https://aleteia.org/2019/08/04/padre-pio-says-these-2-virtues-are-like-the-mother-hen-the-other-virtues-follow-like-little-chicks/?utm_campaign=NL_en&utm_source=daily_newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_content=NL_en

"There are many virtues, and it’s a lifelong task to continuously grow in them. But Padre Pio has a secret. He says that with the acquisition of two virtues in particular, the rest will come along, like little chicks following their mother hen.

He says:

"Remain tranquil, striving ever more intensely with divine help to keep humility and charity firm within you, for they are the most important parts of the great building, and all the others depend on them. Keep yourself firmly fixed in them. One is the highest thing, the other the lowest. The preservation of the entire building depends on both the foundations and the roof. If we keep our hearts applied to the constant exercise of these [virtues], we will encounter no difficulties with the others. They are the mothers of the virtues; the other virtues follow them like chicks follow their mother."

uber-florence-allshorn.jpg?quality=85

"To realize that you are safe and happy standing at God’s side, with His love encompassing you because you are forgiven; too happy to take offense any more; too much in love with life to want to be made miserable with an unforgiving heart, and that now every conflict is a chance to learn more of the exceeding beauty of Love: that is worth living for, and surely worth dying to this misery-making self for."

- Florence Allshorn (1887-1950), The Notebooks of Florence Allshorn

My two cents: Did not like the description of the self as "misery making".

Edited by BarbaraTherese

3 hours ago, Gary david said:

Good to see you posting Gods work Barbara. Good to say hello to you as well.  How have you been Barbara?

It is really good to hear from you, Gary.  I was concerned that you might have been ill or that something serious had stopped you posting.

You have made some great posts, Gary.  It is good to know you will be around again and, I hope, sharing of your wisdom.

I am cruising along, like the rest of humanity, the ups and downs, the falls and risings, the good and the lousy days.  The rhythm of life for all.

God bless............Barb