An Old School Catholic Message Board

Quotations that Motivate & Inspire

BarbTherese

god-is-good-e1458298018797.jpg

The supreme test of goodness is not in the greater but in the smaller incidents of our character and practice; not what we are when standing in the searchlight of public scrutiny, but when we reach the firelight flflicker of our homes; not what we are when some clarion-call rings through the air, summoning us to fight for life and liberty, but our attitude when we are called to sentry-duty in the grey morning, when the watch-fire is burning low. It is impossible to be our best at the supreme moment if character is corroded and eaten into by daily inconsistency, unfaithfulness, and besetting sin.

- Frederick Brotherton

If your life consistently bears no fruit, God will intervene to discipline you. If your life bears some fruit, God will intervene to prune you. If your life bears a lot of fruit, God will invite you to abide more deeply with Him.

- Bruce Wilkinson

(It might even be that all three are going on. How do you experience God disciplining, pruning and inviting you to abide more deeply?)

On 8/23/2019 at 6:28 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

If your life consistently bears no fruit, God will intervene to discipline you. If your life bears some fruit, God will intervene to prune you. If your life bears a lot of fruit, God will invite you to abide more deeply with Him.

- Bruce Wilkinson

(It might even be that all three are going on. How do you experience God disciplining, pruning and inviting you to abide more deeply?)

Yes i see that. I guess thats what i was trying to say before. If one life is not bearing fruit then God will step in and discipline, there are no doubts. Again we just like children going about our merry way doing whatever it is were doing against the rules of our parents only to find out that the fun is over and the punishment arrives. That's how our Father works as well and does this to change the course of our life in the direction of God. And hopfully we listen. If not then then more punishment arrives and if we still dont listen, well then I guess we get what we want but won't care so much at all when we find out the other things that also go along with our choices.

saint_catherine_alexandria.jpg?as=1&w=40

Saints with a sinful past who experienced conversion

God does not always use negative events to bring us back or closer to Him, sometimes it can be a quite beautiful event that really stirs the heart to conversion and repentance, to newness of life and reversal of direction.  We could be called possibly to conversion/metanoia many times in our journey and in very many ways including by some beautiful or even negative event.

The Cross or suffering can be a privilege and an honor as many of our saints have evidenced.  Some of our saints have lived remarkably virtuous lives their whole journey, as well as suffering in their journey.

Negative events in a person's life are not a sign of some 'punishment' as Jesus teaches in the Tower of Siloam event:

Luke Chapter 13: "Or those eighteen people who were killed when the tower at Siloam fell on them  - do you think they were more guilty than everyone else who lived in Jerusalem. By no means! But I tell you, if you do not repent, you will all perish as they did!"

The Gospel does not teach about 'punishments' in this life rather of a God of Boundless Love, Rich in Boundless Mercy, but Jesus did teach about a terrible result if one does not repent before death.  He spoke about eternal life and eternal separation from God if one dies in serious sin without repenting.  He spoke about the fires of hell.

God does not barter: good for good, bad for bad

Edited by BarbaraTherese

I see that wrong choices by intention certainly do not lead to happiness peace contentment or joy. They cause an emptiness in ones life and cannot be filled without obeying Gods command. The punishment it seems is straightforward. In other words one cannot choose to lie and feel comfortable with it. It will follow and haunt untill the truth is told. It is this way with any choices that go against God. It is this way even in nature. When man abuses nature the price must be paid. God is always vigilant and always there to nudge us towards the direction of Him.

4 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

0826-624x468.png

Hi Barbara! I like this one very much! In knowing we are all a grain of wheat it makes me wonder how large a field of wheat that has fallen into rich soil we will become. 

How ae you Barbara? God bless you

kamil-szumotalski-Vo1aefRpXcg-unsplash-1

Through Faith, We Can Have Contact With the Living God

https://catholicexchange.com/through-faith-we-can-have-contact-with-the-living-god?mc_cid=3c49722f55&mc_eid=1ea4a385a2

"Do not fear, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name: you are mine.
When you pass through waters, I will be with you;
through rivers, you shall not be swept away.
When you walk through fire, you shall not be burned,
nor will flames consume you."  ( Isaiah 43:1-2 )