An Old School Catholic Message Board

Best books about nuns

GraceUk

It seems like ages since books were discussed.  My favourite of all I I think is a Right to be Merry. And another one by a poor Clare in the UK this time is Barefoot Journey and sequel Spring Comes barefoot. Poor Clare's  seem to have a lot of fun despite their austere rule. 

Two other books I read which were by nuns that eventually left their orders but they were really uplifting. Heaven by the hems about somebody who entered the Cistercian order. This is a very old book but I loved it. Another more recent one is the Secret Ladder about a woman who entered Carmel in her late forties. Anyone read these.

I can recommend "New Habits - Today's Women who choose to become Nuns" by Isabel Losada. It's based on interviews with 10 young sisters of different (UK) communities who talk openly about their lives, including their difficulties and what makes them love community life.

InCordeRegis

"My Beloved" by Mother Catherine Thomas " and And Mary Was Her Life: Sister Maria Teresa Quevedo" are both great books to.:):heart: And "A Right to be Merry", as was already mentioned, is always a favorite too!:heart::):heart:

Another one I just remembered that I really love is "A Few Lines to Tell You: My Life in Carmel" by Sister Marie of the Trinity.:):heart:

No, I haven't read others mentioned, but they sound interesting.

Love Lourdes

have read a couple of Mother  Catherine's but no others.   My favorite fiction is In This House of Brede.

As far as literature, I share Love Lourdes love for In This House of Brede - it illustrates enormous insight, wisdom, diversity of thought and personality and the like. I like Rumer Godden's Ten for Joy, Five for Sorrow, as well.

Though Karen Armstrong is no longer Catholic, her memoirs are indeed interesting and valuable - though I'd recommend no-one read Through the Narrow Gate without then reading The Spiral Staircase. Karen cannot be one's only source for theology :D - but there is enormous insight in her memoirs, if one reads with an open and discerning attitude.

InCordeRegis

21 hours ago, Love Lourdes said:

have read a couple of Mother  Catherine's but no others.   My favorite fiction is In This House of Brede.

What other books did Mother Catherine write? I only know of "My Beloved"... I would love to read any others she wrote! :):heart:

I have read Spring Comes Barefoot and A Right To Be Merry.  Enjoyed them both.  I think I also read In This House of Brede, but don't remember much about it.

I also loved In this House of Brede and if anybody hasn't read it yet they should as I'm sure they'd enjoy it. Because it's such a long book it goes into loads of detail and is really absorbing. 

I think Mother Catherine wrote a biography perhaps  of a saint or another sister but not too sure. 

I think if people are reading such books as aids to discernment, they need to read books that are more recent. Those written a half century or more ago are not going to give an accurate portrait of religious life today. There are so many good books about religious life in the 21st century! But nostalgia is not a good guide to the future.

For the record, I have read all of the books mentioned here. While they may have been enjoyable, they do not really present good insight into what is going on now. Of course, if people are just reading them for historical insight, they are more appropriate but, even then, they are very case-specific.

3 hours ago, Nunsuch said:

I think if people are reading such books as aids to discernment, they need to read books that are more recent.

Well, that depends.  "The Right to be Merry" is still very much like the Poor Clare Collettines of today, with just a few changes, and the same applies to "My Beloved" and some Carmelite monasteries, particularly the JMJ Carmels.  It just depends on what someone is attracted to.

3 hours ago, JHFamily said:

Well, that depends.  "The Right to be Merry" is still very much like the Poor Clare Collettines of today, with just a few changes, and the same applies to "My Beloved" and some Carmelite monasteries, particularly the JMJ Carmels.  It just depends on what someone is attracted to.

Perhaps, although "My Beloved" doesn't represent the vast majority of Carmels today, just as more traditional PCC communities don't represent all Poor Clares. I simply suggest that there are more current books about religious life. I'm not talking about rigorous theology, such as those by Sandra M. Schneiders, IHM, which might not be everyone's cup of tea (I think she's remarkable). But there are books and essays that represent a wide spectrum of women religious around the world. Another great resource is Global Sisters Report (globalsistersreport.org) which has writings by and about sisters and nuns internationally.

Lilllabettt

A book I found extremely helpful was "Dawn of a Consecration " by Thomas Dubay. It was originally written as a daily meditation book  helping postulants/novices adjusting to life in an active religious community. It was amazing insight into religious life and was true to reality when I entered the convent *a habit wearing non cloistered community*

I'm not sure if it's still in print, but if you find a copy snap it up!

Edited by Lilllabettt

Sister Leticia

How about "In Our Own Words: Religious Life in a Changing World" - this book was written collaboratively by 13 younger religious (some still in formation, others recently finally professed) from 13 different orders in the US. It was published last year

http://www.globalsistersreport.org/news/trends/new-book-younger-sisters-write-about-religious-life-present-51791

I will admit that I haven't read it, but I know about it because one of my American sisters was part of it.

I've not read Bernie becomes s Nun but have seen it mentioned on Phatmass. That sounds a good book but its very expensive second hand. I read a book by Karen Armstrong and she had a horrible experience in an order which was quite strict but not enclosed. It was a bit depressing to be honest. It's a shame she lost her Catholic faith.  

In our own words sounds interesting.