An Old School Catholic Message Board

why do people hate catholics

Guest lordie

CatherineM

As we’ve seen through history, the best way to unite a group of people is for them to have a common enemy. Protestantism was fighting against the Church that had been established for 1500 years. Unfortunately, that fight has led to wars, persecutions, and unpleasantness on both sides. Lingering hate comes from old ideas and habits. I’m sure the split pains God as much as any parent when their children fight. 

• 3 months later...

I've never experienced outright hatred of Catholics myself. I've heard a lot of misunderstanding, though. It's hit or miss whether I can convince folks that their misunderstanding is wrong. But there is quite a bit of that. But hatred? Not that I've ever experienced.

IMHO, hatred is rooted in fear, and people tend to fear what they don't understand. 

Or, they blame Catholicism for the sins of some Catholics and decide to hate all of us. The second option happens with most groups; for example,  some people will hate all Muslims because of 9/11, or hate all cops because of various events, etc. 

• 1 month later...

I lived in Australia for most of my life. At one school, when we walked home some kids from another school would chant " caflicks, caflicks make me sick, call the doctor quick quick quick" . We thought they were weirdos, if they got too close, we would chuck rocks at them. No one died, no injuries.