An Old School Catholic Message Board

From prostitute to penitent?

OneHeart

This is probably a self-contradictory question but I'm going to ask anyway :) ...... Does anyone know of either (1) any nun [living] who is a former prostitute and is now a genuine penitent? And/or (2) any priest who would be or is a good spiritual director for such a type? 

So now you know why I say this is self-contradictory --  because such a person is probably very hidden as a penitent and no one knows her! :cool: But if anyone has any personal knowledge of someone who is truly living as a penitent in religious life, and if that person would be willing to talk with me, could you please contact me directly? I am a former prostitute, a penitent, and want to enter religious life, and I think my primary charism has to include clearly being a penitent.  So I'm not just looking for an Order that is penitential (any decent Order would, of course, include penance of various kinds), but an Order, or a way of life, that is for actual penitents.  So I'm first of all looking for anyone who has gone before me in this.  Looking for guidance.  But also looking for an Order.  Thanks and may God richly bless everyone here!! 

I know that the Sisters of the Good Shepherd have a contemplative branch which was originally founded to welcome former prostitutes and others into religious life, alongside women who did not have such a background. They still exist. The Sisters of the Good Shepherd are in many countries, as are the Congregation of Our Lady of the Good Shepherd, which have the same roots. They could lead you to their sister congregations.

There are also the Dominican Sisters of Bethany--same charism.  I'm not sure if they are still in the US. Rumer Godden (author of "In This House of Brede") wrote a fictional "history" of this community, "Five for Sorrow, Ten for Joy."

The Sisters of Bethany are also in Germany and Switzerland (and possibly other places in Europe). The Swiss branch is predominantly contemplative, the German branch has an interesting history: They used to be contemplatives, but after WWII they were asked by a bishop to take care of the many children who had lost their parents in the war. And they were willing to do that! They are now active and running children's homes. One of the (German) sisters told me that they still are/have sisters "with a past", who learn in the novitiate how to tell their CV without causing suspicion. So I think they would be a good starting point, and since many Germans are happy to communicate in English, here is their (German) website - the Google translator does a good job and at the bottom of their front page you can find contact details: https://www.bethanien-op.org

Franciscan third orders are some of the original penitent orders founded specifically for penitential works. Franciscan Sisters TOR of Penance of the Sorrowful Mother are contemplative penitents who do works of mercy with folks from difficult walks of life, and I know at least two sisters who come from similar backgrounds in the order. There are other similar third order sisters as well.

genesisweavers

Peace to you One Heart + I was very moved by your post and your story.  I wanted to share a little piece I found on the Trappist (Spencer) website.  Here's a link:  https://www.spencerabbey.org/monastic-transformation/.  When you read it you will see why I think it may inspire you.  

One thing about your story that troubles me and that is the possibility of a guilt complex.  I am no psychologist but I know that a complex contains a lot of power over our souls and the 'guilt' part is self explanatory.  For that reason I would recommend that you speak with a qualified spiritual director and hopefully they will be able to determine if this 'guilt' thing is operating in you.  My own opinion is that you will be a much happier person if that can be healed.  

I was raised in a pretty strict Irish Catholic family and that was back in the day before kids talked back to their parents and there were rigid guidelines for behavior.  I also went through 16 years of Catholic education so there was a lot of opportunity for Catholic guilt to take root.  As I started to shed some of that I was able to claim my own personhood (i.e. the Self).  All of your relationships will mature and develop once that process happens.  

May you be blessed.  And may the Blessed Mother lead you to 'your' place in the church.  You carry a wealth of experience that can help others along the way.  

your brother