An Old School Catholic Message Board

Discernment Questions...

AveMariaMaterDei

AveMariaMaterDei

+

J.M.J.T.

Hi Everyone!

I am discerning a religious vocation and I was wondering what kind-of things I should ask a community before entering? Or any things that I should find out about before entering that I may not have thought of?!? I've already been asking a lot of questions to the Sisters or Mothers of the communities I'm in correspondence with, but wanted suggestions or ideas of more things to ask them in letters or e-mails or to ask them when I visit.

Thanks!

And a Blessed Feast of the Precious Blood to all of you!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPpYzPn7R6cxk0GWa42lD

Lilllabettt
7 minutes ago, AveMariaMaterDei said:

+

J.M.J.T.

Hi Everyone!

I am discerning a religious vocation and I was wondering what kind-of things I should ask a community before entering? Or any things that I should find out about before entering that I may not have thought of?!? I've already been asking a lot of questions to the Sisters or Mothers of the communities I'm in correspondence with, but wanted suggestions or ideas of more things to ask them in letters or e-mails or to ask them when I visit.

Thanks!

And a Blessed Feast of the Precious Blood to all of you!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSPpYzPn7R6cxk0GWa42lD

Ask:

If you can have a copy of the constitutions

If the mail is read, coming or going

What outside communication is permitted to postulants, novices, and the professed. 

If they are a public association of the faithful, diocesean, or pontifical

How long their formation process is

The size of the community, size of a typical formation class, and whether sisters are transferred between houses.

Do the sisters receive spiritual direction and who provides it?

When was their last final profession?

AveMariaMaterDei

LilllaBettt, thank you!!!:)

Those are some good questions to ask them, that I totally hadn't thought of yet!

Edited by AveMariaMaterDei

sr.christinaosf

An important part of the process will probably be "getting to know yourself," especially in regard to religious life...

Do you have certain talents/interests that you feel called to use?

How much silence/solitude can you handle?

Do you feel called to a more contemplative or more active community?

Do you have other limitations or considerations to take into account?

Are you more drawn to a traditional community or less?  

Some of this you may know already; other aspects you may very well learn in the process of visiting communities, etc.

This was the case for me when i was trying to find out "where I belonged."

possiblesista

When I ask questions, I usually ask about their formation, basic requirements they have for entrance and how often Sisters can see their families. You should also ask yourself if you want a more traditional community and if you want to be cloistered or active.

I would emphasize questions on spirituality. There are, for example, many (often hundreds) of communities with similar ministries, but their spiritual praxis varies considerably. And that, after all, is the central focus of religious life. 

This also applies to contemplative congregations. Do they emphasize litanies and vocal prayers other than the Office? Do they focus on mental prayer? Do they emphasize Eucharistic adoration? There is not a right or wrong here, but what you would find enriching and compatible with your spirituality.

Sister Leticia

Hello Ave - You haven't said what sort of communities you're in touch with. The type of questions you would ask (and we could suggest) would depend on whether you're talking to an order like the Franciscans of the Renewal or MCs, or to a very strict, very enclosed monastery, or missionaries, or a very new, small community or... 

Also, if the communities you're in touch with have websites or social media, you might well find there are some questions you don't need to ask, as the information will be online. But what you read there might lead to different questions, for clarification. 

But don't forget that the questions will be a 2-way flow! It isn't only you taking a look at the sisters - they will be taking a look at you too, and wanting to get to know you better, and see if what is deepest within you can resonate with what is deepest within them and their charism. So, do spend some time considering the questions Sr Christina has suggested, and maybe others too. 

Blessings!

gloriana35

Reactions can be very unpredictable. For example, it would be a wonderful idea for you to be able to see the constitutions - yet some communities only allow their own novices to begin to see this. Your asking may be taken as not 'cooperating' with how they reveal information.

Spiritual direction is a great blessing. Yet, in some communities (including the one where I lived), it was frowned upon - as if the Rule is enough for anyone to be holy, and it was 'singularisation' to want anything beyond this.

Communities vary greatly. It might be a good idea to let the vocation directors know what you most value, yet that equally can be read as not being 'community minded.'

AveMariaMaterDei
6 hours ago, Sister Leticia said:

Hello Ave - You haven't said what sort of communities you're in touch with. The type of questions you would ask (and we could suggest) would depend on whether you're talking to an order like the Franciscans of the Renewal or MCs, or to a very strict, very enclosed monastery, or missionaries, or a very new, small community or... 

Also, if the communities you're in touch with have websites or social media, you might well find there are some questions you don't need to ask, as the information will be online. But what you read there might lead to different questions, for clarification. 

But don't forget that the questions will be a 2-way flow! It isn't only you taking a look at the sisters - they will be taking a look at you too, and wanting to get to know you better, and see if what is deepest within you can resonate with what is deepest within them and their charism. So, do spend some time considering the questions Sr Christina has suggested, and maybe others too. 

Blessings!

mostly contemplative communities such as Benedictine or Carmelite and a semi-contemplative order, they do have websites and I read those as well as asking questions in letters, but wish to learn more of their daily life itself and what it is like to be a sister there and haven't been able to think of more questions to be able to learn a good amount of what their daily life is really like yet...though from the replies to my post, I have been able to add more questions to my list to ask them in my next letters to them. :-)