An Old School Catholic Message Board

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy Book Discussion

Seven77

On 7/14/2019 at 9:48 AM, Anomaly said:

A couple of things. 

I’m really curious about WHY Devine and Weston had to bring another person for the Aliens. 

Whats the symbolism of them being naked in the space ship and the sense of euphoria when in the light? Is it a metaphor for Eden?

It is notable that Ransom is the one operating with the least amount of knowledge(as we the readers are). D and W have been there before, they built a hut, and the inhabitants of Malacondra have interacted before.  It will be interesting to see what their various perceptions and assumptions are of each other.   Are Sorns bad as R was told?   What was the creature in the water?

So, in light of what we read in chapter 5, Devine and Weston seem to be following orders from some higher up…  maybe one of the inhabitants, a Sorn chief leader has asked for a creature to be sacrificed to  his people in exchange for something.  About the two villains, one seems to be bent on  following orders on some kind idea that what they're doing is making progress for humanity, etc., he's wrong but he is idealistic.

I think that you're right about the symbolism…   I think that it is hinting to Eden--- and remember that weird dream Ransom had when he was drugged, about a garden? In reality, he really did break into a garden.

Oh yeah, I really love those lines about space being alive, warm, lit and not dead, cold, dark. Reading it for the first time gave me about peace about the idea of space.  It's the "womb of worlds." 

( all caught up by way, ready for chapters 6 through 10 )

Thinking about it being written in 1938 and the current moral attitudes...

Did anybody else note the attitude of Weston about using the mentally challenged boy instead of Ransom in their original plan?   He felt it was morally okay as his death would likely the only valuable benefit to society?  

47 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Thinking about it being written in 1938 and the current moral attitudes...

Did anybody else note the attitude of Weston about using the mentally challenged boy instead of Ransom in their original plan?   He felt it was morally okay as his death would likely the only valuable benefit to society?  

Yeah I did notice that but didn't think much about it. I guess I just assumed it was because he was a villain so that's how a bad guy would think. Didn't ponder the thought of that just being the common attitude for everyone in 1938.

It was interesting to me to read about the spaceship being like a mini planet where the center of gravity was the center of the ship. One thing I didn't understand is how you are able to be in the day on one side of the ship and in the night on the other side. Oh wait. I think I just figured it out. The side facing the sun is the day side. Duh. lol

I’m not sure it was a common attitude, but it is part of the whole “class” system that society struggles to evolve from.  I notice it often in older period novels.  

I’ve read ahead a bit and I want to talk more about this issue in the context of later events.

Yeah, glad you mentioned that Anomaly… Weston has that whole,  the end justifies the means thing going on. We can use a mentally challenged kid as a guinea pig, we can kidnap some random professor, in the name of progress and furthering humanity, etc. And when Ransom says that it was wrong of them to kidnap him, Weston is like, "you're thinking too much about yourself!"

I'll be on a couple flights tomorrow so will probably have read through Chapter 10, at least, by this weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Has everyone caught up? If so…

They finally made it to the  planet Malacandra– – Mars? It's not supposed to be like realistic science fiction, by the way (Ransom and the other two humans being able to breathe),  and like a lot of science fiction, all the sci-fi stuff is actually a means to other themes and philosophical questions, etc. it's an interesting planet for sure. The mountains and creatures seem to defy gravity… Everything seems lighter on this planet.

I think that Ransom has good survival instincts from his long walks and travels in The countryside. It got ingrained in him even though he didn't know it. Also, the fact that he's a linguist… Maybe there's some reason why it had to be him?He seems to be having what it takes to kind of get along on this planet.

Yes! I'm through chapter 10. Gonna try to get through Chapter 15 tonight.

I love the descriptions of Malacandra. I can picture this vertical landscape where everything is light and long and wavy. I wonder if it has ever been depicted in art?

Update: Found these. Cool!

malacandra1.jpg

malacandra2.jpg

Okay.  I’ll start reading it again.  I read another book in the meantime.   Excellent book.   Exceptional writer.  “Washington Black, A Novel”. What she creates with words was astounding.    Kinda makes reading Lewis a chore.  

39 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Okay.  I’ll start reading it again.  I read another book in the meantime.   Excellent book.   Exceptional writer.  “Washington Black, A Novel”. What she creates with words was astounding.    Kinda makes reading Lewis a chore.  

That book looks great!

https://amzn.to/2YxKq0X

Maybe the next book we discuss after we finish this one?

Lilllabettt

I have a question I want to ask about this series but I have to wait till youre done at least with the 1st one.... so hurry up.

Fyi hideous strength is the best one of all. 

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

I have a question I want to ask about this series but I have to wait till youre done at least with the 1st one.... so hurry up.

Fyi hideous strength is the best one of all. 

For sure… The last one is the best. The first two are totally worth it just to be able to read That Hideous Strength.

1 hour ago, dUSt said:

That book looks great!

I would love to read this too.  Maybe we can read like 10 chapters of the trilogy instead of five a week so we can get to it faster? Not sure.

Edited by Seven77

4 hours ago, dUSt said:

That book looks great!

I think it would be a great choice.  Especially to discuss racism, prejudice, slavery, and it’s an excellent read. 

But let’s finish this one and discuss. 

Edited by Anomaly

Starting chapter 15. 

Story is getting better. The aliens are NOT unfallen. They know evil and and death.