An Old School Catholic Message Board

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy Book Discussion

Seven77

On 8/5/2019 at 12:02 PM, Anomaly said:

Starting chapter 15. 

Story is getting better. The aliens are NOT unfallen. They know evil and and death. 

Finished chapter 17. Interesting... what do you mean that they know evil? How so? It seems to me that it is a foreign concept to them...   its  almost unheard of for a bent hnau to even exist?

As compared to Adam and Eve who did not know what evil was, nor did they die, until they got kicked out of Eden. 

Finished Chapter 20.  I’ve got questions about who or what certain beings are supposed to represent according to Catholic theology.

Is everyone caught up?   I don’t want to post spoilers.  

17 hours ago, Anomaly said:

As compared to Adam and Eve who did not know what evil was, nor did they die, until they got kicked out of Eden. 

I think that Adam and Eve would have had to have some kind of notion of what it meant to die…"

Lilllabettt
7 hours ago, Seven77 said:

I think that Adam and Eve would have had to have some kind of notion of what it meant to die…"

I read somewhere that the whole "death entering the world" thing doesnt preclude the possibility that a type physical death, or winding down of energy, was a part of creation before the fall. Death without decay maybe. Like, a type of "death" where it's a conclusion of earthly life and and creature is assumed body and soul from time into eternity, without body and soul ever being separated. So not death or mortality as we know it, but still an "end". 

1 hour ago, Lilllabettt said:

Did you like it?

I read a tremendous number of books and genres.  There are lots of aspects to like or dislike books.  Writing, plot, styles, themes, subjects.  This is a book to discuss in a group, more than just a story.    So, yah, kinda liked it for what it is.  Discussion will make it more worthwhile.    

By the way.  It has a very interesting discussion on what normal death is to them.  Early on, there is an unnatural death and risk of death from a creature.   That by itself is worth discussing. 

Edited by Anomaly

Well, I’m well into Book 2.  

Little disappointed there’s no discussion.  Do you think I’m the pseudo Weston? 

16 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Well, I’m well into Book 2.  

Little disappointed there’s no discussion.  Do you think I’m the pseudo Weston? 

I'll ask you my question. 

Do you think CS Lewis seems pretty negative on space exploration?  Basically, the angel ruler of earth has gone bad and become the devil, and the earth is quarantined because of sin. And Weston and Devine are trying to contaminate the rest of the universe by exploring the other planets. 

Also. Do you think Ransom is a Mary Sue character? He's similar to Lewis in a lot of ways and doesn't seem to have many flaws...

9 hours ago, Lilllabettt said:

Do you think CS Lewis seems pretty negative on space exploration?  Basically, the angel ruler of earth has gone bad and become the devil, and the earth is quarantined because of sin. And Weston and Devine are trying to contaminate the rest of the universe by exploring the other planets. 

Also. Do you think Ransom is a Mary Sue character? He's similar to Lewis in a lot of ways and doesn't seem to have many flaws...

Interesting, ill have to think more about this... but for now, I don't think that Lewis has a negative view of space exploration in general. However, I think he holds the view that space exploration, and technology of curiosity as we can put it, technology of vanity, etc., is a product of the fall. Unfiallen species of intelligence don't do these things.… In fact I think a conversation of this kind was a catalyst for us reading the book/trilogy.

Also, I think that Ransom had the obvious flaw of hesitating, and not going to see the Oyarsa right away and blood was shed as a result of disobedience.

Almost done with book 1

Edited by Seven77

1 hour ago, Seven77 said:

Also, I think that Ransom had the obvious flaw of hesitating, and not going to see the Oyarsa right away and blood was shed as a result of disobedience.

Yeah ... but in the narrative is this treated like a proper dark thing . To me it was treated more like a mistake vs a real sin. It may be my palette is poisoned by a steady diet of antiheroes in modern media/literature.  Ransom is by comparison uncomplicated and pure. He is not going to be running a methlab a la breaking bad

On 8/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, Lilllabettt said:

My apologies.   I hadn’t realized you posted.  

Yes, CS is negative about space exploration, but one could only infer it as a literary tool.   He’s creating a separation between the planets/ planes of existence in both a spiritual and physical sense it explore “what if” scenarios  

The tool seems to be used to define separate possibilities as far as responses to Grace, effects, and outcomes.   At one point he tries to equate predestination and freedom, but I did not get his point. In my opinion, he forces the logic issue, though the Unman discussions were thought provoking.  

Elwin is still on Prelandara, no Mary Sue character.   

Sorry 77, if I gave spoilers away.  I thought others had stopped reading. 

Edited by Anomaly