An Old School Catholic Message Board

CS Lewis' Space Trilogy Book Discussion

Seven77

I found a lot of echoes in That hideous strength that come across in the Lord of the rings. For example, Wither is referred to as a wraith. He is almost ghostlike. The bad guys are almost unreal without any real back story… As if they are not human. Anyway, the character seemed to be like a ring wraith. I heard it as an audiobook and the narrator did an excellent job with the characters. Also, NICE works for a cold, technocratic society bent on destroying nature, including human nature itself. It is clear that they are under the influence of the "ruler of this world." There's a lot at stake… So I was also a bit disappointed in the resolution… It was pretty cool but I was expecting something more epic scale… It was so predictable as to who would be getting the real Merlin. Also, Ransom was hardly a main character in the final book. But I did see how he learned about life… He had never given much thought about the supernatural until he learned about it from his visits to Mars and Venus. I also thought it was a very interesting treatment of an  unfallen Adam and Eve and the nature of temptation. About Mark… I kept thinking that when is this dude finally going to realize who he is working for? By the end of the book, I think that Mark and Jane will be strengthened in their marriage bond. The book was kind of open ended. Anyway, these are bunch of my disjointed thoughts.

These creatures on other planets don't bother about space travel because they really don't see the need for it,  while on the other hand, the bent humans sought to plunder and exploit their resources and subjugate them. So it really made me think… Is space travel a product of the fall?

• 2 weeks later...

Space is literally the realm of Heaven.   Fallen creatures are not wanted.  Creatures are not wanted which is why the heavens were occluded in Perelandara. 

On 9/16/2019 at 4:28 PM, Seven77 said:

I found a lot of echoes in That hideous strength that come across in the Lord of the rings. For example, Wither is referred to as a wraith. He is almost ghostlike. The bad guys are almost unreal without any real back story… As if they are not human. Anyway, the character seemed to be like a ring wraith. I heard it as an audiobook and the narrator did an excellent job with the characters. Also, NICE works for a cold, technocratic society bent on destroying nature, including human nature itself. It is clear that they are under the influence of the "ruler of this world." There's a lot at stake… So I was also a bit disappointed in the resolution… It was pretty cool but I was expecting something more epic scale… It was so predictable as to who would be getting the real Merlin. Also, Ransom was hardly a main character in the final book. But I did see how he learned about life… He had never given much thought about the supernatural until he learned about it from his visits to Mars and Venus. I also thought it was a very interesting treatment of an  unfallen Adam and Eve and the nature of temptation. About Mark… I kept thinking that when is this dude finally going to realize who he is working for? By the end of the book, I think that Mark and Jane will be strengthened in their marriage bond. The book was kind of open ended. Anyway, these are bunch of my disjointed thoughts.

These creatures on other planets don't bother about space travel because they really don't see the need for it,  while on the other hand, the bent humans sought to plunder and exploit their resources and subjugate them. So it really made me think… Is space travel a product of the fall?

16 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Space is literally the realm of Heaven.   Fallen creatures are not wanted.  Creatures are not wanted which is why the heavens were occluded in Perelandara. 

I'm glad someone else noticed this....this is why I thought CS Lewis was negative on space travel. It was kind of shocking to me as I always saw him as endorsing a capacity for wonder as a divine attribute... maybe I have him mixed up with Chesterton. 

Honestly, I don’t think he put any reality into being negative about space travel.   It was only an allegorical construction.  Do you really think humans would be basking in the wonder of heaven once we are outside the ionosphere?

3 hours ago, Anomaly said:

Honestly, I don’t think he put any reality into being negative about space travel.   It was only an allegorical construction.  Do you really think humans would be basking in the wonder of heaven once we are outside the ionosphere?

Idk... I mean... back when Lewis wrote they didn't know. No one had ever been to space. Pretty much everything was based on educated conjectures.