An Old School Catholic Message Board

Five First Saturdays Devotion

I started this devotion last month. I messed up though and received Communion at Mass on Sunday instead of Saturday. I thought that it could be received either day. I went to Confession Saturday and prayed the Rosary and did the meditation on Saturday. But went to Mass Sunday. So since that one didn't count my first one was last Saturday. There's some extraordinary promises to those who complete it. 

The most important thing, the thing that pleases her the most is that you sincerely do the best that is possible for you to do. Making sincere efforts (What is the state of the heart), out of love for God. I say this because I try but am truly unable  (physical disability,  no one to take me) to make the First Saturdays consistently--- going to Confession and Mass and receiving Holy Communion.  But what can I do? I can do the other parts of the devotion:

Pray the rosary, meditate for 15 minutes on a mystery (which strengthens me to pray that mystery better every time I pray it in the course of a rosary), I can also examine my conscience, repent and make a act of contrition, I could also make a spiritual communion.  I admit that sometimes I get lazy on even this.  But I can  do this, at the very least. Also, I have some friends who priests, also, religious and  seminarians, or laypeople who are  extraordinary ministers of holy Communion  who can help me out if they are available. I may try reaching out to them in the future for first Saturdays…  This thread just made me think of that possibility… 

I know that  we are especially pleasing to Our Mother when we make sincere efforts…

• 3 weeks later...

Second 1st Saturday completed. 3 more to go. "Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls into heaven, especially those who have most need of Thy mercy. Amen. 

IMG_20190803_164120.jpg

Edited by Guest

dominicansoul

This is a beautiful devotion, one I’ve completed several times in my life.  It becomes a part of your life even after you’ve done it once...you can’t stop doing it.  

Of course I don’t have any spiritual progress after doing it so many times.  But still struggling and not giving up... Blessed Mother pray for me...

On 8/4/2019 at 8:42 PM, dominicansoul said:

still struggling and not giving up

............Is a very real and great blessing to me - and born of the virtue of fortitude for one - and fortitude is one of the seven Gifts of The Holy Spirit at Confirmation and one of the four Cardinal Virtues.  And I am a product of a Dominican education.........say no more! :) 

I have tried so often in my lifetime to complete the Nine First Fridays and Five First Saturday devotions, but something has always chucked a spanner in the works somewhere, meaning I did not complete all the requirements.  I eventually came to my own decision about my failures rather than give in to a temptation to scrupulosity...........and I am a big fan of St Therese of Lisieux, my Confirmation patron.............say no more! :) 

CCC Cardinal Virtues:

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p3s1c1a7.htm (you will need to scroll down)

1805 Four virtues play a pivotal role and accordingly are called "cardinal"; all the others are grouped around them. They are: prudence, justice, fortitude, and temperance. "If anyone loves righteousness, [Wisdom's] labors are virtues; for she teaches temperance and prudence, justice, and courage."64 These virtues are praised under other names in many passages of Scripture.

1808 Fortitude is the moral virtue that ensures firmness in difficulties and constancy in the pursuit of the good. It strengthens the resolve to resist temptations and to overcome obstacles in the moral life. The virtue of fortitude enables one to conquer fear, even fear of death, and to face trials and persecutions. It disposes one even to renounce and sacrifice his life in defense of a just cause. "The Lord is my strength and my song."70 "In the world you have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world."71

Edited by BarbaraTherese

• 1 month later...

Looking for a Church and Confession times as I write this. Today will be 3 of 5 leaving 2 more Saturdays to go. If anyone is reading and putting Confession off or going to Mass because they think their sin is to great to be forgiven it's not. If God can work through me and prompt me not to give up with Mass and the Sacraments then anything is possible.

I've had the feeling more than once wanting to harden my heart and not continue because of sin. One of the mysteries of God to me is his willingness to forgive over and over again. No matter how far or how often we've fallen into serious sin.

We should never abuse God's mercy. At the same time you can't think of God as a fallen human. He's beyond our understanding. A human no matter how kind will at some point stop forgiving you. I've experienced this with a person who is very kind yet no longer speaks to me. With God as long as you're alive he will never stop forgiving you or talking to you.

I've made the mistake in the past thinking of God as a fallen human who can only forgive so many times. And then that shame leads to despair and avoiding Confession. But once you realize God always forgives when we repent and attempt to start over and avoid sin then there is no reason for despair. You have to accept how good God is and the mystery of his forgiveness. He's always waiting to give us a fresh start. Every single time even when it feels like there's no possible way he could forgive me again.

Edited by Guest

Was nervous for Confession. And once again had an amazing experience. The Priest was great. He made me laugh and gave me heartfelt advice and insight. He was also really blunt about certain things. Very thankful for the experience and the forgiveness of my sins. Will pray the Rosary now before Mass and receive the Eucharist. And then do the 15 minute meditation after Mass to complete the devotion. Thankful.

IMG_20190907_163553.jpg

On 8/4/2019 at 10:54 AM, Josh said:

"Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell. Lead all souls into heaven, especially those who have most need of Thy mercy. Amen.

This Rosary Prayer encourages that all souls might be able to enter Heaven.  It is a reason for that hope - a reason to pray for the salvation of all even the very worst.  It was taught by Our Lady of Fatima to the children.  Would Our Lady have taught children a prayer that holds a futile petition?

https://www.catholiccompany.com/getfed/five-prayers-taught-at-fatima-by-mary-the-angels-6057The Blessed Mother stressed the critical importance of praying the rosary daily for the conversion of sinners and for peace in the world. She asked that the following prayer be recited at the end of each rosary decade:

Oh My Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of Hell, lead all souls to Heaven, especially those in most need of Thy mercy.

10 minutes ago, Josh said:

The Priest was great.

I am very happy for you, Josh.  You are blest by The Lord.

The above statement might also illustrate how a priest in Confession can either be an encouraging factor or a discouraging one with considerable impact on one's future. 

6 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

The above statement might also illustrate how a priest in Confession can either be an encouraging factor or a discouraging one with considerable impact on one's future. 

I go to different Churches and new priest's for Confession often. When my sins are bad or lengthy I'm always prepared for the worst. You go over the scenerio in your head and imagine the worst things possible happening in there. But it never happens. 95% of the time it goes really well and better than I deserve. The priest is extremely friendly ect.

I've talked about it here before but I only had two "difficult" Confessions. Both by the same priest. And even those weren't that bad. But a person can literally get up and leave if it ever got bad. You're not forced to sit there. If it gets to bad get up and go to a different Confession where there's a very high chance it will go smoothly. Be vunulrable but know you're in control. You never have to put up with verbal abuse or anything like that. You can literally say peace out and get up and walk out. Even if it's a priest who knows you. Who cares if he knows you. If he ever crosses the line just leave and have no regrets. And explain the situation to the next priest in Confession. 

12 minutes ago, Josh said:

Be vunulrable but know you're in control. 

*vulnerable

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished the 5th consecutive Saturday.

Screenshot_20191102-185001~4.png

To those who faithfully follow Our Lady’s requests for the Five First Saturdays, she has made a wonderful promise which she, as Mediatrix of All Graces, will certainly fulfill: “I promise to assist at the hour of death with the graces necessary for salvation.” This means that our Blessed Mother will be present at the hour of death with the actual grace of final perseverance, (which after the gift/grace of Faith), is the most important grace.

Edited by Guest