An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here is the topic that got me removed from Relevant Radio - Don Johnson

Catholic Don Johnson's new Documentary A Compromised Faith

Many find it shocking that white conservative evangelicals have supported Donald Trump so strongly, especially considering his almost complete lack of the traditional “family values” they claim to esteem. However, the fact is that Donald Trump espouses and exemplifies at least one principle that this segment of American Christianity has long prioritized over the teachings of Jesus: white supremacy. This is that story.

That is what this film is about.

It turns out that racism is nothing new to the religious right. Indeed, it is foundational to their history. In A Compromised Faith, we will explore that story, documenting the development of the current white conservative political culture in this country, from the 1950s to today. Contrary to the popular myth that white conservative Christians flocked into the political realm to combat abortion and sexual immorality, the truth is that they were only finally mobilized as a reaction to the civil rights movement.

For example, we will look at how the Brown v Board of Education ruling desegregating schools led directly to the battle over Supreme Court justices we see today.  

In doing so we will look at the motives behind this culture of oppression, and examine how the church got so far from the teachings of its founder. This will include looking at the theology that undergirded this racism, with its roots in a certain strain of medieval philosophy and the Protestant Reformation.

It’s not all negative, though, as well will also tell the story of movements within American Christianity that aim to reform the Church and bring it more in line with the gospels, and examine whether they have a legitimate chance of success.

• 2 weeks later...

An audience member at a Donald Trump rally in Florida yelled 'shoot them' in reference to migrants at the border. Trump had asked the crowd: 'How do you stop these people?' After laughing at the response, he added: 'Only in the panhandle can you get away with that statement'.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2019/may/09/trump-laughs-after-audience-member-suggests-shooting-migrants-video?CMP=share_btn_fb

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 5:48 PM, Seven77 said:

This has nothing to do with Catholic hip-hop man. You got to make proper distinctions. They don't play heavy metal either for example.

(Snip)

No Ozzy Osborne!!!

That's just mad!

I will never tune in to that show.  Heck, its no wonder i never heard of them in the first place.

• 2 years later...

I listen to Relevant Radio a good bit and a critical ear. I don't always agree with what the program hosts have to say, nor with the mixing of biased political values among . 

Patrick Madrid, for example, spends a considerable amount of his air time deftly promoting  his conservative political views and values, while deftly planting seeds of doubt and discontent in the minds of his listeners about the agenda of the current administration and the media outlets that identify with the liberal political agenda. If the topics were limited to topics clearly identified with Catholic values (e.g., abortion), that would be one thing. But they are not. 

An example would be Madrid's views on governmental involvement on the wearing of masks, the way the current administration is dealing with the COVID-19 vaccination issue, his subtle identification of MSNBC and CNN with the agenda of the liberals.   

Relevant Radio Network's published mission statement is: "Bringing Christ to the world through the media." Its published guiding principles are these: "Faithful to the Magisterium and Catechism of the Catholic Church; United to the Bishops; Under the Protective intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary." I find no message to the effect that listener donations will be used to bring party politics to the world through the media. Nor do I listen to Relevant Radio to obtain political guidance.

That's my two-cents worth on Relevant Radio.

• 1 month later...