An Old School Catholic Message Board

Here is the topic that got me removed from Relevant Radio - Don Johnson

http://donjohnsonministries.org/here-is-the-topic-that-got-me-removed-from-conservative-catholic-radio/?fbclid=IwAR2X-SG9OPbx_MMJpA0uDmont078mKomJ9bL_aQEAJ-IB09-l7peZq8_d_w

"So it turns out that Relevant Radio is another example of the very systemic racism that I was trying to explain and expose in the show I hosted. The company itself is racist in that its very structure is a builder and protecter of segregated white space, just as so many companies have been throughout America’s history. It may not be building and protecting segregated restaurants or subdivisions, but the airwaves and servers of its nation-wide network are indeed an important and powerful space in our culture, and Relevant may as well hang out a sign that says conservative white voices only."

16 minutes ago, dUSt said:

Wow. Interesting topic. I’m gonna have to come back to this later as I have lots to say. 

Interested in your thoughts on this. Respect your opinion either way. God Bless.

I have listened to Patrick Madrid often for the last 2 years or so. Like almost everyday at times. I heard Don fill in before but missed this episode. I've stopped listening to Patrick a couple times because of issues on this topic. Once when he was going on and on about confederate monuments on Twitter and his support for them. I will no longer be listening to Relevant Radio after reading this. Deleting them from my car radio today and won't be visiting their site/podcast to stream old shows. And definitely never sending a donation.

Edited by Guest

Don Johnson is the man. I've heard him hosting the Patrick Madrid Show on RR… You can see a bit of a difference if I may say so. I have also listened to Patrick Madrid and I must say that I do not agree with a lot of his political views and the way he puts them. I'm not surprised by this but I am a little surprised that he had the courage. Props to Mr. Don Johnson. I actually heard him speak out against racism.

There are other Catholic commentators that I do not care to listen to because it seems that they are always so angry even when they are right.  Also, I've noticed that many of them are kind of not willing to take racism seriously even though it reflects on pro-life views...  they must be willing to address it, which I think will go a long way to help the pro-life cause to defeat abortion, etc.

Also, I am completely orthodox and all about the mission of the Church of Jesus Christ...  God is real, we cannot even begin to repay him for our existence except by listening to him and doing what he commands to the best of our ability, for his greatest  glory. It's all about doing the right thing and seeing Christ in everyone, upholding the dignity of every single human being.

I should add that I am most certainly not liberal in the common usage of the word in our politics today. I don't fit in those categories.

3 hours ago, Josh said:

KKK Catholics gonna hate this one.

Or just people that don't like that newfangled "hip-hop"

Edited by Seven77

16 minutes ago, Seven77 said:

Or just people that don't like that newfangled "hip-hop"

Stations like Relevant Radio refuse to give Catholic Hip-hop the time of day. And it's because they are racist like Don Johnson bodly and clearly says:

"The company itself is racist in that its very structure is a builder and protecter of segregated white space, just as so many companies have been throughout America’s history."

The type of people who listen and donate to Relevant radio don't like hip-hop for more than it's not their taste of music. It's deeper than that. Not every single person. But a bunch. It all ties together why Johnson is now axed and the podcast of the show was taken down.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Josh said:

Stations like Relevant Radio refuse to give Catholic Hip-hop the time of day. And it's because they are racist like Don Johnson bodly and clearly says. 

"The company itself is racist in that its very structure is a builder and protecter of segregated white space, just as so many companies have been throughout America’s history."

The type of people who listen and donate to Relevant radio don't like hip-hop for more than it's not their taste of music. It's deeper than that. Not every single person. But a bunch. It all ties together why Johnson is now axed and the podcast of the show was taken down.

This has nothing to do with Catholic hip-hop man. You got to make proper distinctions. They don't play heavy metal either for example.

Okay, they may be racist in its structure, etc. etc. but that's not necessarily the reason they don't play Catholic hip-hop. It's the reason for other things.

It could be that they don't play hip-hop because they're racist but it seems to me that it's because it's not their taste in music… Willing to give them the benefit of that on that because sometimes I can find myself barely tolerating what passes for hip-hop (I'm an old school head).  No offense to any Catholic MC.

Also,   for what it's worth, I think the song is okay… matter of personal taste I guess :)

26 minutes ago, Seven77 said:

This has nothing to do with Catholic hip-hop man. You got to make proper distinctions. They don't play heavy metal either for example.

Okay, they may be racist in its structure, etc. etc. but that's not necessarily the reason they don't play Catholic hip-hop. It's the reason for other things.

It could be that they don't play hip-hop because they're racist but it seems to me that it's because it's not their taste in music… Willing to give them the benefit of that on that because sometimes I can find myself barely tolerating what passes for hip-hop (I'm an old school head).  No offense to any Catholic MC.

I'm not even talking about playing Catholic Hip-hop. I'm just talking about acknowledging its existence and the culture. Or putting some of the artist's in the spotlight. Or reaching out even minimally. It doesn't happen and Don describes why it doesn't happen perfectly.

When Nipsey Hussle was murdered recently Raymond Arroro was on Fox News Network making jokes about his death a day after his funeral on the Laura Ingraham show. The face of EWTN joking and laughing about his death on Fox News. Nipsey was held in high regard by a lot of people and did a ton for his community. And was also a father. It was cringe worthy.

Edited by Guest

I'm not sure about this because I actually don't listen to the news much anymore...  but yikes, joking about somebody's death let alone murder is pretty low, to put it lightly . I will  read up on Hussle (may he rest in peace).  

Lilllabettt

I didnt listen to the show, dont know who Don Johnson is. A guy named Don Johnson sexually assaulted me, but I'm pretty sure theres no relation. I only have really listened to relevant radio for the rosary. Although the few times I did listen to it other than that, I was relieved their discussion on Pope Francis was better than whats on ewtn. I'm interested whether DJ went in there with "a plan" to get fired. The story he tells, makes it sound like hes surprised. But some things he says in the article make it sound like "if you dont agree with me about statues, you're racist." The author he refers to as testifying before Congress is very hot button, having written he didnt care about the cops dying on 9/11.

Personally i think the monuments are ridiculous and shouldnt have been put up to begin with. They are monuments to racism, and hopefully when they're gone their absence doesnt give space to people who deny racism exists. He is right that the main Catholic constituency is conservative and white. When conservative white Catholics talk politics nowadays you can be sure there will be cringe.

Edited by Lilllabettt

• dUSt featured this topic

Officially blocked by Patrick Madrid on social media. I'm good with that. KKK sympathizers who defend confederate monuments I want nothing to do with. Especially when they're on a radio station that broadcasts acround the world and claims to be the voice of Catholicism. Hopefully Raymond blocks me next.

There's a reason God had me fall in love with hip-hop in the second grade when I got Warren G's album G Funk Era. So from a young age I would love black people and not grow up a racist. So I would be able to make sense of why there was a KKK rally in my hometown when I was 8 years old. So I could recognize how wrong self appointed apologist's were when they were on global Catholic radio defending confederate monuments all in the name of Jesus Christ and Catholic Evangelism.

Edited by Guest

On 7/16/2019 at 9:15 AM, Lilllabettt said:

They are monuments to racism, and hopefully when they're gone their absence doesnt give space to people who deny racism exists.

But, but, but it's about states' rights! And freedom!

On a serious note as to the second part of that sentence, that's the only reason I would ever be in favor of leaving them up.

I've been spending a lot of time recently on right-wing youtube, discovering some school of thought that falls under something called "neoreaction." There's some overlap with catholic traditionalism, transhumanism, and some other stuff as it's kind of a loose collection of ideas. 

Anyhow, many of them seem borderline obsessed with something called "race realism," frequently citing the lower rates of IQ of blacks vs whites as their ironclad evidence that race is a real biological thing, without heeding any of the caveats of IQ testing and their general skepticism of the social sciences in particular and the academy in general.

They are always demanding evidence for systematic racism. Nothing is quite good enough, some stats get thrown around etc etc, but I think when statues stand, when people are allowed to say what they really think, it makes identifying the racists easier.

But there is the tendency of the left to call nearly everyone to doesn't kowtow to the liberal establishments as racist.

In fact back in the day on PM I used to throw the term around pretty loosely and people got hella mad at me. Maybe even threw a few accusations at you? If so my bad. But in my wiser years I can see that calling every word of perceived prejudice or implicit association RACISM was probs not the best.

Lilllabettt
1 hour ago, Ice_nine said:

But, but, but it's about states' rights! And freedom!

On a serious note as to the second part of that sentence, that's the only reason I would ever be in favor of leaving them up.

I've been spending a lot of time recently on right-wing youtube, discovering some school of thought that falls under something called "neoreaction." There's some overlap with catholic traditionalism, transhumanism, and some other stuff as it's kind of a loose collection of ideas. 

Anyhow, many of them seem borderline obsessed with something called "race realism," frequently citing the lower rates of IQ of blacks vs whites as their ironclad evidence that race is a real biological thing, without heeding any of the caveats of IQ testing and their general skepticism of the social sciences in particular and the academy in general.

They are always demanding evidence for systematic racism. Nothing is quite good enough, some stats get thrown around etc etc, but I think when statues stand, when people are allowed to say what they really think, it makes identifying the racists easier.

But there is the tendency of the left to call nearly everyone to doesn't kowtow to the liberal establishments as racist.

In fact back in the day on PM I used to throw the term around pretty loosely and people got hella mad at me. Maybe even threw a few accusations at you? If so my bad. But in my wiser years I can see that calling every word of perceived prejudice or implicit association RACISM was probs not the best.

I dont remember you calling me a racist so. Nbd.