An Old School Catholic Message Board

Opening of new Christ Cathedral (formerly Crystal Cathedral)

dUSt

4 hours ago, dUSt said:

The original designer's vision looks better...

christcathedral-design.jpg

Yeah, that looks a little better I guess. But i wish they would have Taken Notes from La Sagrada Familia, in Spain…I think that there is something that can be done to the interior of  a church like Crystal Cathedral to make it look more like a actual church…

la-sagrada-famila-church-barcelona-spain

And then look at this… Lovely…

Interior-Design-Ideas-for-Modern-Church.

Edited by Seven77

TOTALLY agree. I don't know why they didn't do something behind the altar to really raise it up vertically like in your examples. They could have totally worked with the crystal/glass theme and created something beautiful and rising.

Nope. They just put a big concrete rectangle door frame. Smh.

Also, looking at your pictures. How cool would it have been for them to replace some of the clear windows with vertical, rising stained glass windows on either side of the organ?

3 hours ago, dUSt said:

TOTALLY agree. I don't know why they didn't do something behind the altar to really raise it up vertically like in your examples. They could have totally worked with the crystal/glass theme and created something beautiful and rising.

Nope. They just put a big concrete rectangle door frame. Smh.

Also, looking at your pictures. How cool would it have been for them to replace some of the clear windows with vertical, rising stained glass windows on either side of the organ?

They could have made something truly epic. And they could just replaced only a few windows.  I'm imagining a new kind of synthesis between something modern with the traditional--- harmony that works, is reverent, and not so cold looking.

All of a sudden I just thought of the "fortress of solitude" from Superman, Superman 2 the movie...  Or you know those ice churches, crossed with a design of one of those dwarves' city caves from the Lord of the Rings.

truthfinder

I just realized that when you look at the mock-up it's like they don't know how a church is actually used (or maybe all too well).  People are randomly standing and chatting, no one is kneeling anywhere, and then what looks to be a lector or cantor doing the ridiculous arm movements from... is that actually a pulpit?

dominicansoul

It would be cool if they had the money to convert every window into stain glass...depicting the life of Christ, and really the entire story of Salvation seeing that they have enough windows to do so... 

20 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

It would be cool if they had the money to convert every window into stain glass...depicting the life of Christ, and really the entire story of Salvation seeing that they have enough windows to do so... 

THAT would be truly epic.

Sainte-ChapelleSkip-The-LineTicketinPari

• 2 months later...
On 7/17/2019 at 4:42 PM, dUSt said:

I also see the ecumenical beauty in taking over a former Protestant church.

I've seen several Protestant churches that were turned into Orthodox Churches or used by them. The churches tended to look better after their new residents got settled in.

On 7/30/2019 at 10:17 AM, dUSt said:

THAT would be truly epic.

Sainte-ChapelleSkip-The-LineTicketinPari

YES!!! This! I saw one church that painted their own large windows to be multi color and look like stained glass. We just need enough people with ladders and some painting equipment, and maybe a Phatmass meetup.