An Old School Catholic Message Board

"Women belong in the kitchen... "

Seven77

Women belong in the kitchen…

Men belong in the kitchen.... 

Children belong in the kitchen.... 

The kitchen has food. (Source: from a meme I saw once).

Discuss.

Edited by Seven77

6 hours ago, dUSt said:

Children do not belong in the kitchen.

wrong....

somebody has to do dishes.....

10 hours ago, MIKolbe said:

wrong....

somebody has to do dishes.....

that is why everybody belongs in the kitchen 

• 2 months later...
islandanchoress

Here in Ireland, the traditional way a house is built means that the main room downstairs is called " the kitchen". It is where food is cooked and eaten, and it has easy chairs and couches etc and is where the family live and are at ease. TV etc too..

Ratherr than the separate "posh" sitting room that often never get used except when there is "company"and often even not then. except maybe   the priest.. visiting dignitaries,, 

This too is how I was raised over 70 years ago, in Lancashire.

So we all belong in the kitchen...  

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Catherine Therese

Now if that kitchen happens to be in a tiny home... there's really no escaping it, no matter who you are!

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, PaxHominibus said:

It is true that, in a well-ordered home, the domestic duties lie predominantly with the wife. 

Well, no... domestic duties should be fairly shared. 

On 10/9/2019 at 1:20 AM, islandanchoress said:

Ratherr than the separate "posh" sitting room that often never get used except when there is "company"and often even not then. except maybe   the priest.. visiting dignitaries,, 

I have converted my lounge/sitting room in to a guest room.  If you are resident or visiting, you sit in the very large dining area off the kitchen, where my office/computer and TV is also located.  The very large dining area is now more of a family room and everyone belongs in the family room.

In my previous suburb, I did have a lounge/sitting room.  It was never used.

I got married in 1964 and just naturally fell into cook, cleaner,bearer and carer of children type of roles.  I never questioned it.  My then husband fell naturally into the roles of gardener and handyman and never questioned it.  It seemed a simple way of life largely perhaps because we never questioned things in the main.

How times have changed and goodness knows what will have unfolded culturally over the next 50 years or even 20 years....at the pace of things now it could be 10 years or even 5.

For me, once I realised with V2 I could ask questions about my beliefs without being called a heretic - and because my Faith was paramount in my life, I realised that absolutely everything could be questioned, was open to being questioned..........and so it is today. 

The Dominican nun who had the biggest influence on my life said "a thousand difficulties cannot make one doubt".  Later I read somewhere that questions and difficulties are "Faith seeking understanding".

• 3 weeks later...
islandanchoress

Occurs to me is that all we really need is to follow our own  hearts and minds rather than distorting ourselves trying to fit in to what the latest ideas out there are. BE who we are nto what others in their "wisdom" expect us to be.

When I moved out here to the most barren island I could safely live on, it was a choice made deliberately to avoid being at the mercy of what others thought was a viable life for an aged and disabled person. I rejoice in that we ae often cut off by tide and weather!. Lost  count of the folk offisland and online who opined I should be in prison, aka sheltered accommodation. I am safe and love the freedom and the challenges .   We can be smothered by "caring" and by doing what others think is right for us. I am a  Solitary by the will and grace of God... Oh and now I an officially " cocooned" and snug it is in here. ( Over 70 and high risk of covid-19) . Being true to you matters for if you belong to Jesus, then YOU is what He gives you 

What’s wrong with working in the kitchen?  Men are some of the best cooks or chiefs in the world.  

Cooking is very enjoyable and seeing people you love enjoying your prepared meal is nice too

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 10:26 AM, little2add said:

What’s wrong with working in the kitchen?  Men are some of the best cooks or chiefs in the world.  

Cooking is very enjoyable and seeing people you love enjoying your prepared meal is nice too

That's how I paid my way through college.