An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Catholic politicians in Washington doing more harm than good? (FoxNews Video)

dUSt

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6064335246001/

"Despite Catholic teachings being some of the most outspoken when it comes to defending the unborn and standing against abortion, statistics show that when speaking about Catholic politicians on Capitol Hill, there is a wide disconnect between their faith and their politics. Matthew Schmitz, the editor of First Things magazine, is here to discuss his recent article that claims the unborn would have less to fear, 'if every Catholic were removed from Congress tomorrow.'"

They reference an article in the above video. I've found it for your convenience:

https://catholicherald.co.uk/magazine/the-statistic-that-shames-catholic-politicians/

Cuomo, for instance :whistle:

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) signed a bill into law on Monday that prohibits the declawing of cats because, as Cuomo said, it is "a cruel and painful procedure." This is the same governor who signed a bill into law in January that allows abortion up to the moment of birth and even allows babies that survive an abortion to be left unattended to die on a table. 

Cuomo is a Catholic apparently in good standing with the church in New York. Commenting on Cuomo's actions, Bill Donohue, president of the Catholic League, said, "The same governor who pushed for a bill that allows doctors not to attend to the health of a child after he or she has survived an abortion signed a bill yesterday banning the declawing of cats; New York is the first state to do so."

https://www.cnsnews.com/blog/michael-w-chapman/catholic-league-go-figure-cuomo-bans-cat-declawing-allows-abortion-birth?fbclid=IwAR3GGTVeNar0pwBo9GElFPHl4VGvegFRBB-QfVZnkuFlMkholVbmIkV2fw8

Yet another evil caused by the overwhelming majority of so-called Catholic politicians:

They are purely cafeteria Catholics… When it comes to abortion their voting records are horrible but when it comes to other issues pertaining to  human dignity such as immigration, helping the poor, etc. they are suddenly thinking with the mind of the Church, or at least paying lip service.  So, people's perception is that  there are essentially two kinds of Catholics, "Orthodox and  Reformed," (to borrow from modern day Judaism), or Republican Catholics and Democrat Catholics (the former sort also give the wrong impression). This is a great evil because it makes the Church's teachings seem optional and does not understand the teachings in a holistic way. 

Edited by Seven77

This song  says it all,  if a Catholic politician truly followed his faith then...

You would know him by his love as the song says 

Funny the Catholic politicians doing the most harm are also the ones most famous,   Good ones like the late Justice Antonin Gregory Scalia are  rarely celebrated .

His son Paul gave his  eulogy, give it a listen 

Like most good men he was very humble.

Edited by little2add

Someone should start a post like “Name some of the Catholic politicians in Washington doing more good than harm” 

?

Anybody 

dominicansoul

I doubt you can follow your faith and still be a politician.  You would have to choose one or the other...

Lilllabettt
On 7/29/2019 at 3:12 PM, dominicansoul said:

I doubt you can follow your faith and still be a politician.  You would have to choose one or the other...

Idk. My congressman is a prolife Democrat. The last one in Congress, I believe. He was almost primary-ed last election by pro choice to killers.  I know for sure that hes had many opportunities to turn, and pressure to do so, but he hasnt. I am rather impressed. 

8 hours ago, little2add said:

E070-AEA3-E8-B4-497-B-BBBA-55424-A75-DAB

Pretty sure she does her own work at best, at worst… Well. Talk about taking the Lord's name in vain!

A17-F1-EBA-A1-FC-4269-A8-B5-8-C3533-C5-C

Please note how the  current democratic  presidential  front runnier voted

Edited by little2add

• 1 month later...

The Biden campaign told NBC News earlier this year that the former vice president did support the Hyde Amendment, which bars federal funding for the procedure in most cases — a position that put him at odds with most of the 2020 Democratic field. But at a gala in Atlanta on Thursday night, Biden said that recent moves to restrict abortion at the state level had caused him to change his position.

“I can’t justify leaving millions of women without the health care they need,” he said, according to HuffPost. “If I believe health care is a right, as I do, I can no longer support [the amendment

the Hyde Amendment only affects funding for abortions under Medicaid, a state and federal health program for low-income individuals.

All other Medicare health care is provided without restriction of any kind.  

Biden’s reasoning to reverse his long held beliefs about abortion funding is invalid.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 6:38 AM, little2add said:

The Biden campaign told NBC News earlier this year that the former vice president did support the Hyde Amendment, which bars federal funding for the procedure in most cases —

2366-F26-A-07-C2-4-A34-9444-CDD550965572