An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can we vote for ANY of these people!?

dUSt

4 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I’m voting for Trump.  The Democrat party platform is anti God, anti life, aggressive LGBTQ promotion, mucho government control over every fathom of our lives, tearing down our Constitution every chance they get.  

True, but you can pretty much say the same thing about the GOP nowadays. Not as bad as the Dems though.

Don’t let them fool you.  I still cannot fathom how any catholic can vote Democrat.  I don’t think there is any reason to.  How can you believe in their fake promises and put aside their slaughter of children?  Literal infanticide!  The vote has come up by Republicans 100 times in the house to protect babies born accidentally in abortions, and every single time the Democrat party majority blocks that protection!  

Well I can understand why many blacks and Hispanics would not. The GOP is perceived as racist. Now, part of that perception is due to media bias of course, but your case isn't exactly helped when you have former GOP presidents on tape calling black people monkeys and a current president like Trump who is pretty careless with his words and managing his image. I think black generally tend to think more conservatively when it comes to social issues like abortion or gay-marriage than white Americans, but most simply are not going to vote for someone whom they perceive as anti-black.

Even if the democrats were to suddenly become Prolife, the Catholic Church has always condemned communism...Democrats want total government control over every aspect of our lives, taxation to the hilt to pay for services we don’t have any say in, unfair practices like “distribution of wealth,” when it’s  none of the governments business what I do with my money...censorship of speech, forcing us to accept immoral lifestyles OR ELSE....a totally Orwellian society...

LOL. Why don't you tell everyone how you really feel? That is a bit of an extreme characterization. It is like the Democrats who accuse all Republicans of being war-mongers, who want to control women's bodies, give money to large corporations, are racist and only care about the interests of white Americans, etc.

It is just name-calling and demonization. It is divorced from reality and it prevents any real type of compromise or solution-seeking . . .

Distribution of wealth is a valid role of government and consistent with Catholic teaching, by the way. Let's say that young unprepared mothers get accidentally pregnant, decide to have their children, yet are incapable of completely taking care of them on their own. It is completely legitimate for the state to take your and my money through the form of taxes, and redistribute it to the mother, so that she can buy food and other necessities for her child. That is a distribution of wealth.

Democrats don’t want you focusing on the great economy, prison reforms, steps trump’s insured for religious liberty and Prolife measures, lowest unemployment amongst minorities EVER, etc etc etc. They will continue to force American public to see trump as the “orange man bad” because they have no chance in hell to win if they focused mainly on policies.  Compared to trump democrats have no solutions and their policies will tear down the economy and create more problems for the poor than will help them... 

Well I actually agree with you here. If we look simply at policy I think the GOP has a clear advantage over the Dems. But this simply is not the way that the world works. People don't vote simply based on policy. A whole host of other considerations come into play when choosing a candidate, and public image is one of them. Most people expect their president to watch his tongue, and let's be honest, Trump says and does a lot of things that are offensive to people on a personal level. That is a big part of politics. It's a reason why a guy like Clinton won two times, so you can't discount it even though in a perfect world everyone should vote based on policy differences alone.

But as for the economy I dunno how long it is sustainable. Many economists predict that we are headed for a nasty recession somewhere in 2020 and recession somewhere during Trump's presidency seems almost inevitable to me. I wonder if what the Fed has been doing with these interest rates and corporate tax cuts has been another bubble in the stock and housing markets. We shall see.

But anyway I would not worry too much about it if you are a Trump fan. It seems to me that there is almost no way that he can lose in 2020 unless the economy tanks before then.

6 hours ago, Peace said:

But anyway I would not worry too much about it if you are a Trump fan. It seems to me that there is almost no way that he can lose in 2020 unless the economy tanks before then.

dito to da

fides' Jack
On 8/2/2019 at 2:24 PM, Papist said:

You can say what you want about Trump, and most people do. But, he is the most pro-life president to date. For example, law signed by Trump allowing states to restrict state Medicaid funds from going to Planned Parenthood.     So, on the issue of abortion, Trump wins by far over all the Dem president wannabes. No president, no nominee of the Republican Party has ever stated he would name pro-life Supreme Court justices, not one, not even Ronald Reagan.  Trump was the first one to publicly pledge to put a pro-life Supreme Court justice on the bench. 

Exactly.

My one argument to this is that he's also the most pro-lgbt president ever, by a long shot.  Not even Obama was as pro-lgbt as he is.  Still, it's such a small issue compared to abortion (currently)...

Edited by fides' Jack

• 2 weeks later...

None portrayed are worse than Trudeau.  He banned from his caucus anyone with prolife sentiments.

God have mercy on us all...