An Old School Catholic Message Board

Little Ways to Foster a culture of Life.

LoveZoe11

Hi Pham.

Something came on my heart this afternoon during vigil Mass: What are some little ways that I can foster a reverence for the sacredness of human life on a day to day basis. Of course there are the usual ways such as pray outside an abortion facility, volunteering time and possily money to your local prolife pregnancy center, which are both super important and valuable. However, I wonder about other things we can do when we don't have time for the big stuff. I think something as simple as a smile to a stranger or letting someone know they look nice today. Little things to make people feel loved and appreciated. Also what are some opportunities to witness and evangelize that we can take?

Thoughts?

God Love You,

Zoe

dominicansoul

I work with about 25 individuals.  I make it a point to give each person a little something on their birthdays.  For the females, a small bouquet, a fancy cupcake, a little gift card to a popular restaurant in the city.  For the males, a birthday card with a little gift card visa, MasterCard, beer.

It really really really makes their day.  And when they come over to thank me I let them know “just wanted to celebrate your life because I’m Prolife and your life is valuable...”. 

Edited by dominicansoul

2 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

I work with about 25 individuals.  I make it a point to give each person a little something on their birthdays.  For the females, a small bouquet, a fancy cupcake, a little gift card to a popular restaurant in the city.  For the males, a birthday card with a little gift card visa, MasterCard, beer.

It really really really makes their day.  And when they come over to thank me I let them know “just wanted to celebrate your life because I’m Prolife and your life is valuable...”. 

Dominicansoul,

That's amesome!

.  There are so many little ways one can affirm others - let them know they are valued.  For example, if I am walking along and someone smiles and nods at me or says hello, it makes me feel good................so I like to be a smiling passerby for others, give to them what has been given to me..............

This excerpt from one of Thomas Merton's books really speaks to me about the value of each human life

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/2464342-in-louisville-at-the-corner-of-fourth-and-walnut-in  “In Louisville, at the corner of Fourth and Walnut, in the center of the shopping district, I was suddenly overwhelmed with the realization that I loved all these people, that they were mine and I theirs, that we could not be alien to one another even though we were total strangers. It was like waking from a dream of separateness, of spurious self-isolation in a special world. . . . 

This sense of liberation from an illusory difference was such a relief and such a joy to me that I almost laughed out loud. . . . I have the immense joy of being man, a member of a race in which God Himself became incarnate. As if the sorrows and stupidities of the human condition could overwhelm me, now that I realize what we all are. And if only everybody could realize this! But it cannot be explained. There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun.

Then it was as if I suddenly saw the secret beauty of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach, the core of their reality, the person that each one is in God’s eyes. If only they could all see themselves as they really are. If only we could see each other that way all the time. There would be no more war, no more hatred, no more cruelty, no more greed. . . . But this cannot be seen, only believed and ‘understood’ by a peculiar gift.”

― Thomas Merton, Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander