An Old School Catholic Message Board

Number of mass shootings in 2019 per country

4 hours ago, Josh said:

A country that has our level of gun violence and refuses to do anything is f**king insane. -Sean Kent

This latest mass shooting is truly a matter of deep grief to Texas, to the USA and to the whole world.

"Reality Perception: A sane person to an insane society must appear insane. An oft-repeated quote attributed to Star Trek's Mr. Spock observed that “in an insane world, a sane man must appear insane.”

Sanity is an ever shifting imaginary line set by society to maintain status quo.

In Australia, we know we live in an age of terrorism and anything could happen any time - being shot dead with others in a mass shooting while out shopping is unheard of here and so the risk is in the back of our minds, same with sending children to school.  The risk exists but I dont think on a conscious level, which could haunt day and night.

However, living in the USA must be to live on a conscious level of very real risk when going shopping or sending children to school.

I really do not understand the gun laws in the USA.  In the 1700's there might have been some reason, but in today's world they are creating very often the horrific including annihilation of the innocent.  It is shocking just how much power money can indeed buy (gun lobby).

Prayer - Our Lady Queen of Peace, pray for us (August is her month and she is our mother)

Edited by BarbaraTherese

There is another shooting happening now in Dayton Ohio.  Our report here in Sth Aust said 6 deceased, while it is a developing story.

It is as if the whole country is going insane one way or the other.  So much hateful speech on so many subjects.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

This is just so sad and alarming.

We do have racism here in Australia sadly with hate speech on both sides, verbal violence.  We have a tendency to follow the USA.  Very thankfully, other than underground illegal weapons, the violent here find it very hard to arm themselves and act out the violence in their thoughts and then speech.

The reason I tend to avoid pro-life subjects in certain veins and also gatherings is because of the language used.  Violent language.  Sometimes interior violence only needs a vehicle and sometimes any vehicle will suffice..

Thought always precedes action.

The thought truly makes me shudder, but if one reflects on Hitler, Nazism and Germany and how it all came about beginning with economic benefits and nationalism, then indeed the lessons of history unlearnt are bound to repeat and I do shudder.

We are called by God not to reject those unlike us including in morality, rather to be welcoming and compassionate.  We are called not to judge or be judged ourselves.

A truly shining, probably rare, example of charismatic, inspiring and outstanding leadership is Jacinda Ardern, in full Jacinda Kate Laurell Ardern, (born July 26, 1980, Hamilton,New Zealand), New Zealand politician who in August 2017 became leader of the New Zealand Labour Party and then in October 2017, at age 37, became the country's youngest prime minister in more than 150 years.

She is worth prayer, study and reflection.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-15/jacinda-ardern-christchurch-call-europe-tackle-online-extremism/11112028

In her first speech to the UN General Assembly, New Zealand's prime minister Jacinda Ardern espoused global cooperation and kindness, in stark contrast to Donald Trump’s portentous rejection of globalism earlier in the week..............

"You are like the opposite of Trump..........."..........

1 minute ago, BarbaraTherese said:

In her first speech to the UN General Assembly, New Zealand's prime minister Jacinda Ardern espoused global cooperation and kindness, in stark contrast to Donald Trump’s portentous rejection of globalism earlier in the week..............

(Portentous: the definitions of portentous are very interesting)

"

An audience member at a Donald Trump rally in Florida yelled 'shoot them' in reference to migrants at the border. Trump had asked the crowd: 'How do you stop these people?' After laughing at the response, he added: 'Only in the panhandle can you get away with that statement'.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2019/may/09/trump-laughs-after-audience-member-suggests-shooting-migrants-video?CMP=share_btn_fb

4 minutes ago, Josh said:

An audience member at a Donald Trump rally in Florida yelled 'shoot them' in reference to migrants at the border. Trump had asked the crowd: 'How do you stop these people?' After laughing at the response, he added: 'Only in the panhandle can you get away with that statement'.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/video/2019/may/09/trump-laughs-after-audience-member-suggests-shooting-migrants-video?CMP=share_btn_fb

Thank you for sharing what you have, Josh.  I noted that the mass murder in Texas was preceded by a manifesto of hatred towards Mexicans.  Trump has made the latter quite 'socially acceptable'.  He has not created it, rather he has tapped into what already existed and fanned the spark into a fire as it were.   The above from @Josh is a diametrically opposed attitude to Senator McCain who took a supporter to task for her manner of criticizing Obama in 2008.  I saw it on our TV and was really moved by the Senator.  He was a very good man and his current abode is Heaven I am sure.  I tend to think that all who went to war for their country, offer genuinely their lives to society in some manner of service, will go straight to Heaven............   

"Therefore I tell you, her (or his) sins, which are many, are forgiven, for she loved much. But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." Luke Chapter 7

Donald Trump really does worry me because those who have suppressed or worse, repressed hatred - or even worse still, overt hatred and violence find powerful support and a vehicle for their hatred in Trump in either a direct or indirect manner.  I think Donald Trump is dangerous.  He is not a buffoon and a crazy egomaniac as some write him off as being, Trump knows exactly what he is doing, his objective and how to go about it -  and he is intelligent and dangerous....not to state he has no faults.   I think he understands history.   If he is returned in November it will be a disaster and will highlight just how much support he does have in the USA and where the heart of the USA might rest - hopefully not in hatred and violence.

With history as it is, even The Donald has put his life on the line to serve his country by running and being elected as President of The USA. 

I don’t believe this is a race thing or political, any notion that it could be is ill conceived.

The cause is most likely due to the Godless society we as a nation have become 

16 minutes ago, little2add said:

I don’t believe this is a race thing or political, any notion that it could be is ill conceived.

The cause is most likely due to the Godless society we as a nation have become 

True but I don't think we are any more Godless than Europe, Asia or anywhere else.

Most likely there are other issues / policy decisions that cause us to see many more mass shootings here in other places.

I own three guns myself so I am not an anti-gun person, but at the same time I think there are probably some things we could do policy wise that makes it more difficult for people with violent tendencies to get their hands on guns.