An Old School Catholic Message Board

Number of mass shootings in 2019 per country

Lilllabettt
2 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

Do you remember Alfie Evans? The UK government refused to let his parents transfer him to another hospital.  They weren't allowed to take him home either-because of the risk that they might seek medical care for him. A judge told his mother and father: he must die, and you are not allowed to save him. 

More recently the UK government ordered that a mentally ill woman should be forced to have an abortion against her will - over her own objection and that of her mother.  The approved plan was to drug her, hold her down, and give her a baby doll afterwards.

All governments are the same. They all go the same way. In America the process will be delayed (not cancelled but delayed) because when the government finally does try to come and kill our disabled children, they will first have to get past Bobby Ray sitting on the porch with a 10 gauge shotgun in his lap --- and they know it.  

When the Australian government comes to do away with the mentally ill, like yourself, there won't be any Bobby Ray standing in their way. Suit yourself!

fides' Jack
1 minute ago, Lilllabettt said:

Australian government comes to do away with the mentally ill, like yourself, there won't be any Bobby Ray standing in their way. Suit yourself!

You're right, but I don't buy into the 'suit yourself' mentality.  That's why I'm so willing and eager to at least voice my concerns in places like this and other places online.  The Australian gun 'buy-back' was a huge mistake, and I hope the people there understand why very soon (which isn't going to happen).  It's too late for much of the world.  I fear it's too late for the U.S., too.

fides' Jack
3 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

If more bureaucracy will help to save innocent lives including the innocent lives of children, then I am for it.

People do need to turn to God.  Are you really prepared to not do anything to help to stop the mass murders until they do.

Sorry, I missed this question.  More bureaucracy ends up killing more people than it saves.  See the reasons mentioned by Lilllabettt.  That's reason enough for me, but an even larger reason is that the freedom of people in general is more important than the lives of the same people.  There are things I'm willing to die for.  Freedom in my country is one.

I'm not suggesting people do nothing.  I'm suggesting we have more guns.  That's absolutely something.  For the last 60+ years we've only been creating more and more laws further restricting guns in the U.S., and clearly the problem has only gotten worse.  A lot of that is the de-spiritualization of the nation, but more bureaucracy/legislation will only make things worse.

49 minutes ago, Lilllabettt said:

All governments are the same. They all go the same way. In America the process will be delayed (not cancelled but delayed) because when the government finally does try to come and kill our disabled children, they will first have to get past Bobby Ray sitting on the porch with a 10 gauge shotgun in his lap --- and they know it.  

I know Bobby, he's not that scary.  He's actually a big teddy bear!

3 hours ago, BarbaraTherese said:

I think that now we have possibly established that we disagree and we can at least agree to disagree, rather than continue to go round in circles, huh?

Perhaps.  I would certainly like to convince you on this one, but I will shut up if you want me to.  Up to you.

Mass shooting deaths for 2019 average eight (8)  a week

Opioid heroin overdose deaths average eight hundred (800) a week 

If the southern border of United States was secure (Trumps fence)  The flow of illegal drugs like heroin would significantly be reduced if not stopped all together 

The Democrats need to admit that there is a crisis at the border.   

I understand the outrage behind mass shootings, but when I see things about how the U.S. is so terrible, I try to keep things in perspective. As bad as mass shootings are, shouldn't we look at ALL homicides as a better indicator of how "safe" a country is?

Looks like the U.S. is 89th on the list of countries when looking at "highest homicide" rate.

Granted, all of the countries with populations over 25M where guns are illegal DO have lower homicide rates:

China, India, Indonesia, Japan, Vietnam, Iran, Malaysia, and North Korea.

One exception: Venezuela is the only country where guns are illegal with a worse homicide rate than U.S.

Even so, looking at the list of countries above where guns are illegal, many of the people of those countries have severe limits to their freedom with highly controlling governments and dictators.

Sources:

http://worldpopulationreview.com/countries/countries-where-guns-are-illegal/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

It's also interesting to note that homicide may have a relation to morality. GO FIGURE!

I looked at Poland, which has one of the highest percentages of Catholics among all countries. Interestingly, they also have one of the lowest homicide rates among all countries.

Coincidence!? Doubt it.

It's legal to own guns in Poland, but they do have some common sense requirements:

… has to be 21 or older;
… has to undergo psychological and psychophysical tests;
… cannot be addicted to alcohol or other drugs;
… has to have a permanent place of abode in Poland;
… has to have a clear criminal record;
… has to pass a special exam about gun usage, control and regulations.

So, a society that has a strong Church presence, with a foundation of solid morals, combined with common sense requirements to owning a gun. What an amazing concept.

On 8/6/2019 at 6:00 AM, Lilllabettt said:

Are you describing yourself? Check yourself into a hospital. 

Yes I'm very angry. Also thank you for the advice of checking myself into a hospital. If I had thoughts of murdering people this would be great advice. And I would if I was at that point. Anyone should and feel no shame for doing so. Murdering people is never the answer.

Edited by Guest

45 minutes ago, Josh said:

Yes I'm very angry. Also thank you for the advice of checking myself into a hospital. If I had thoughts of murdering people this would be great advice. And I would if I was at that point. Anyone should and feel no shame for doing so. Murdering people is never the answer.

Anger, wrath, is against the fifth commandment as well… that said, I don't think it was very  charitable for someone to tell you to check yourself into hospital. Wrathful anger once again. it is a disease.

She's just keeping it 100. I respect it. I'm very capable of losing it. There's a lot of people with kids blood on their hands. Not to mention all the innocent adults blood.

Edited by Guest

Lilllabettt
3 hours ago, Seven77 said:

Anger, wrath, is against the fifth commandment as well… that said, I don't think it was very  charitable for someone to tell you to check yourself into hospital. Wrathful anger once again. it is a disease.

I was being serious and not wrathful. I read a story the other day about a would-be school shooter whose grandma encouraged him to check in. She saved countless lives including his. Theres nothing shameful about checking in. Celebrities go for "exhaustion" all the time. Sometimes you just need a place to chill that isnt jail .

fides' Jack
19 hours ago, Josh said:

She's just keeping it 100. I respect it. I'm very capable of losing it. There's a lot of people with kids blood on their hands. Not to mention all the innocent adults blood.

I agree and admit the same.  We've gotten into a habit of thinking that people are naturally good, by themselves - and so naturally we think, "Oh, so-and-so couldn't possibly do something like THAT".

If we look at the Church's teaching we immediately see that in fact we are naturally bad; that it is only the grace of God that prevents every single one of us from becoming thieves, rapists, and murderers.  Every single person is capable of it.  The fight is recognizing that and then taking it upon yourself to practice virtue and pray God will keep you in the state of grace.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:08 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

There is another shooting happening now in Dayton Ohio.  Our report here in Sth Aust said 6 deceased, while it is a developing story.

It is as if the whole country is going insane one way or the other.  So much hateful speech on so many subjects.

One must remember that the very roots of this country lie deep in soil filled with the blood of millions that were here before. These people have all but been exterminated and only a few native americans are left to exist in horrid conditions on reservations to this day. In other words that same mentality has persisted and is alive and well in the hearts of men and this is what you witness to this day. Man thinking that he is better than the rest. But nothing is for free. He must now pay the repercussions of his actions. Unfortunatly the innocent as well must pay. It is written.

16 hours ago, Gary david said:

One must remember that the very roots of this country lie deep in soil filled with the blood of millions that were here before. These people have all but been exterminated and only a few native americans are left to exist in horrid conditions on reservations to this day.

We have done the same to our Australian aboriginal peoples.  I had a tape which disappeared, it was native American type music with a commentary.  At one point, the commentator states "wherever the white man goes, he leaves a trail of greed and destruction".  

In other words that same mentality has persisted and is alive and well in the hearts of men and this is what you witness to this day.

I agree that greed and pride are alive and well in us all to some degree or other as is the destruction on some level greed and pride bring about.

Just as the opposites, temperance and a type of asceticism with humility will bring about good and positive results in the small and big picture.

But nothing is for free. He must now pay the repercussions of his actions. Unfortunatly the innocent as well must pay. It is written.

Every action has a reaction and that applies both to good and to evil. 

Is the following what you mean by "It is written", Gary

"For I, the LORD, your God, am a jealous God, inflicting punishments for their fathers' wickedness on the children of those who hate me, down to the third and fourth generation"  (Deuteronomy Ch 5)

The above cannot be taken literally.  It was the way the ancients understood reality and God's Presence in reality, while today we know God does not inflict punishments but God does permit negative results.  Rather sin intrinsically comes with negative results or reaction to the evil (cause and effect)..

Edited by BarbaraTherese