An Old School Catholic Message Board

Number of mass shootings in 2019 per country

Where are the heroin and fentanyl coming from?

The opioid crisis has also become a national security concern. Most of the heroin coming into the United States is cultivated on poppy farms in Mexico, with eight cartels controlling production and operating distribution hubs in major U.S. cities. Mexican cartels, which the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) has called the “greatest criminal drug threat to the United States,” typically smuggle narcotics across the U.S. southwest border in passenger vehicles or tractor trailers. Large quantities of heroin are also produced in South American countries, particularly Colombia, and trafficked to the United States by air and sea. Although most of the world’s heroin comes from Afghanistan, only a small portion of the U.S. supply is produced there.

The border crisis is rear

On 8/27/2019 at 2:34 AM, tinytherese said:

Republicans are against this, claiming "that the issue is one of mental illness rather than gun control"

I think this is an oversimplification.  My guess is the majority of conservatives think it's an issue of loss of morality, before anything else.  Of course there are exceptions...

Also, it's not a political party thing.  There are a lot of Republicans who are on board with stricter gun laws.  And there are a lot of democrats who know better.  It's an ideology thing, and the major political parties are increasingly aligning themselves with ideologies that no sane person can support - most especially true for democrats. 

I don't know if anyone made this point yet, but you can pass all the laws in the world, but if they are not enforced they will do no good.  I live in Chicago, and one of the recent news stories is how gun offenders sometimes are not held but rather can post a ridiculously low bond amount: 

https://wbbm780.radio.com/articles/issue-cook-county-states-attorney-kimberly-foxx

https://wgntv.com/2019/08/29/suburban-mayor-says-cook-countys-cash-bond-system-is-too-lenient-on-suspects/ 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/columnists/2019/7/20/20701225/eddie-johnson-chicago-police-gun-crime-bond-reform-murder-clearance-rate

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 5:10 PM, Anomaly said:

Is there any realistic way to get the MORE than 390,000,000 (three hundred ninety million) owned guns in the United States where you just don’t disarm law abiding citizens and leave 10,000,000 ten million guns in the hands of criminals and thugs?   

This reminds me of one of my favorite Star Trek quotes:  "We forbade them weapons, they soon began to fashion their own" (Star Trek V) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAq9GaV2GoY

On ‎8‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, dUSt said:

It's also interesting to note that homicide may have a relation to morality. GO FIGURE!

I looked at Poland, which has one of the highest percentages of Catholics among all countries. Interestingly, they also have one of the lowest homicide rates among all countries.

Coincidence!? Doubt it.

It's legal to own guns in Poland, but they do have some common sense requirements:

… has to be 21 or older;
… has to undergo psychological and psychophysical tests;
cannot be addicted to alcohol or other drugs;
… has to have a permanent place of abode in Poland;
… has to have a clear criminal record;
… has to pass a special exam about gun usage, control and regulations.

I'm of Polish descent and live on the NW side of Chicago in an area with a lot of Polish immigrants, attend a parish where both priests are from Poland and that has a Polish school.  I could make a humorous comment about the bolded part, but will refrain..  :lol4:

On 9/9/2019 at 9:32 PM, Norseman82 said:

I'm of Polish descent and live on the NW side of Chicago in an area with a lot of Polish immigrants, attend a parish where both priests are from Poland and that has a Polish school.  I could make a humorous comment about the bolded part, but will refrain..  :lol4:

Your post reminded me of Justice, Illinois ... I absolutely love the Polish Dominicans who reside there! 

15 hours ago, dominicansoul said:

Your post reminded me of Justice, Illinois ... I absolutely love the Polish Dominicans who reside there! 

I'm not familiar with them (Justice in on the SW side about 10-12 miles south of me), but we used to have the Albertinians at our parish.