An Old School Catholic Message Board

Can we please all just take a breather before posting about political issues?

Seven77

This is getting old. I think one of the main reasons for the lack of members posting here is because of the incivility..  I mean can we debate like Christians? I think that if somebody has something to say out of just emotional anger, or because it's like " yeah, what!  take that!"  It really should not be posted. At least not with an attitude like that. Anyway, I hope that we can all work on our prayer lives and seek the one who can actually do things about our problems, and our concerns. The world is a messed up place. We need to band together and fight the darkness and shine the light of Christ to everyone who may encounter us. I mean I've been reading about  sick and narcissistic priests. The Church and the world need us to be Saints. Ain't no time for benchwarmers.

fides' Jack

I think while some people might run and hide due to the incivility, it's a temperament thing.  I'm guessing more people thrive on it.  

I'm not saying that's good, I'm just providing a little perspective.

Personally, I go away for months at a time because I get tired of other stuff, like obsession with terrible forms of "music" (i.e. rap). :|

Edited by fides' Jack
Forgot to add scare quotes

Although I agree that we should all be civil, I'm not convinced that it would lead to more people posting. I actually think controversy makes people post more. lol

One rule I try to follow, with varying degrees of (un)success, is, "Would I want to stand at the communion rail and say this right before Communion? Would I be happy to give Jesus this kind of welcome?" If the idea of saying it there makes me wince, then I realise I probably shouldn't be saying it anywhere.

13 hours ago, beatitude said:

One rule I try to follow, with varying degrees of (un)success, is, "Would I want to stand at the communion rail and say this right before Communion? Would I be happy to give Jesus this kind of welcome?" If the idea of saying it there makes me wince, then I realise I probably shouldn't be saying it anywhere.

"Amen, I say to you, whatever you did for one of these least brothers of mine, you did for me" (Matthew Ch25)

13 hours ago, dUSt said:

Although I agree that we should all be civil, I'm not convinced that it would lead to more people posting. I actually think controversy makes people post more. lol

Probably correct.  Although, Phatmass is self advertised as Catholic "NO ADS. NO ALGORITHMS. JUST CATHOLIC."  https://www.phatmass.com/

I think that disagreements are quite healthy even productive, although the manner in which we disagree might not be.  Especially not when disagreements become personal attacks.  https://catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/01/25/pope-francis-text-messages-and-social-media-are-a-gift-from-god/

Quality not quantity

On 8/8/2019 at 8:51 AM, Seven77 said:

The world is a messed up place. We need to band together and fight the darkness and shine the light of Christ to everyone who may encounter us. I mean I've been reading about  sick and narcissistic priests. The Church and the world need us to be Saints. Ain't no time for benchwarmers.

:amen:  Well said, thank you for the reminder.

"Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me.  I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing." John Ch 15

22 hours ago, dUSt said:

So are you saying that you can't have controversy and civility at the same time? I don't think these things are mutually opposed

23 hours ago, fides' Jack said:
23 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I think while some people might run and hide due to the incivility, it's a temperament thing.  I'm guessing more people thrive on it.  

I'm not saying that's good, I'm just providing a little perspective.

Personally, I go away for months at a time because I get tired of other stuff, like obsession with terrible forms of "music" (i.e. rap). :|

Yeah, there are probably several reasons for people to run and hide, such as other people's obsession with things they like, even if someone else doesn't.I do think you're right about that.

By the way, putting stuff like that, I'm talking about your last paragraph, isn't really a shining example of kindness toward someone you disagree with… It could have been said because it seems antagonistic towards someone in particular…  this is exactly what I'm talking about. Think before you post.

*It could have been said differently

Edited by Seven77

fides' Jack

I realized while I was writing it that it could have been said differently.  I chose not to say it differently.

I don't think it was unkind, (though perhaps blunt) and I certainly wasn't speaking of anybody specific.  The whole site is kinda dedicated to Catholic rap, right?  Despite that, I have quite a bit of respect for a lot of the people here.  I respect Dust for keeping it alive all these years.

I think a lot of the problem is people get bent out-of-shape for no reason.  It's a forum.  People will get hurt feelings.  Sometimes that will be the intention, sometimes it won't.  As a man (and trying to be a virtuous, masculine man), I say to everyone out there, whether man, woman, or child, "be a man and smell of elderberries it up!".

That is all.

1 hour ago, fides' Jack said:

I respect Dust for keeping it alive all these years.

Amen to that.

1 hour ago, fides' Jack said:

I think a lot of the problem is people get bent out-of-shape for no reason.  It's a forum.  People will get hurt feelings.  Sometimes that will be the intention, sometimes it won't.

It is a forum, a Catholic forum.  There is cafeteria catholicism and there is part time catholicism.

On 8/9/2019 at 4:33 PM, fides' Jack said:

I realized while I was writing it that it could have been said differently.  I chose not to say it differently.

I don't think it was unkind, (though perhaps blunt) and I certainly wasn't speaking of anybody specific.  The whole site is kinda dedicated to Catholic rap, right?  Despite that, I have quite a bit of respect for a lot of the people here.  I respect Dust for keeping it alive all these years.

I think a lot of the problem is people get bent out-of-shape for no reason.  It's a forum.  People will get hurt feelings.  Sometimes that will be the intention, sometimes it won't.  As a man (and trying to be a virtuous, masculine man), I say to everyone out there, whether man, woman, or child, "be a man and smell of elderberries it up!".

That is all.

Cool.But it's still good to keep in mind perceptionOf how things seem to come across…

Hey,  you know you are totally free to post threads about the music you like as well. That's the great thing about this website. That music thread needs more posts.

Edited by Seven77

If people get hurt in some way in a forum, they just might go away to chill rather than post in anger (fight or flight principle).  Who knows why a member goes away for a while unless they state the reason or reasons, which is not really our business to know in the first place. Nothing on signing up to state you cannot be absent without stating reason or reasons and obtain permission. :) 

Whatever people need to cope, providing they neither hurt themselves nor others, is quite ok in my book.

This world is indeed messed up to quote @Seven77 - and it is our messed up humanity that does the messing up.  By using a coping mechanism rather than post a messed up post, we are reducing this messed up world by that much.

Signed:  Messed Up

Edited by BarbaraTherese

On 8/10/2019 at 3:32 PM, Seven77 said:

Hey,  you know you are totally free to post threads about the music you like as well. That's the great thing about this website. That music thread needs more posts.

I don't really feel like posting a new thread in another area, or posting in another thread that I'm unaware of, but I will reply here about the music I like: I like silence.  I listen to music once or twice a month, and typically not for very long.  Actually, it started many years ago when I gave up music for Lent.  I just never got back into it, and I can see now how people put so much emotion into music that it makes it impossible for them to grow emotionally or spiritually.

20 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I don't really feel like posting a new thread in another area, or posting in another thread that I'm unaware of, but I will reply here about the music I like: I like silence.  I listen to music once or twice a month, and typically not for very long.  Actually, it started many years ago when I gave up music for Lent.  I just never got back into it, and I can see now how people put so much emotion into music that it makes it impossible for them to grow emotionally or spiritually.

I like silence too. Good music is born of silence.