An Old School Catholic Message Board

Just one-third of U.S. Catholics agree that Eucharist is body, blood of Christ

dUSt

On 8/10/2019 at 7:19 AM, dominicansoul said:

The way we worship shapes and forms our beliefs.  Our Liturgies have lessened the central role of Christ in our midst and replaced it with the WE are CHRIST mentality.  If I didn’t have the amesome catholic teachers in my life growing up, my parents, I doubt I would have ever grasped the fundamental belief that Jesus is Present in the Holy Eucharist.  Why?  Look at how our church treats Him.  What was once the “Holy of Holies” the altar, the place of upmost reverence and worship has become like any other space in the Church.  We have not-so-extraordinary ministers walking up casually to the tabernacle and taking Jesus out.  Then they turn and talk to their friends and accompany them to breakfast all the while with the Hosts among them.  

In high school I remember one of my friends mentioning her treatment of the Eucharist at a funeral mass. She casually mentioned how she wasn't allowed to eat anything by her doctor at the time because of a fast or something. So at communion she placed Our Lord in her pocket and consumed Him later that day. I told her that what she did was desecration. She was so mad and didn't see why what she did was wrong. Our friendship almost ended over it. This was the same friend who once during mass in our school gym wrote "poop" on my sheet with the hymns for that day to try to get me to laugh. I was seen as being rigid and took mass too seriously. 

Also during these gym masses at least one of my classmates would chew gum, take it out when going up for communion, and resume chewing it again once they came back. 

At my old parish, there was a time when they kept finding hosts being left in the missals. The theory was that it was because non-Catholics and non-Christians who attended funeral or wedding masses went along with everyone else for communion and didn't know what to do with them. Eventually, a priest was assigned there who instead of saying, "The Body of Christ" says "Hi" or "Here you go". I wrote to our archbishop about him and some other stuff he's done. I changed parishes and as far as I know he hasn't changed his ways.

49 minutes ago, tinytherese said:

In high school I remember one of my friends mentioning her treatment of the Eucharist at a funeral mass. She casually mentioned how she wasn't allowed to eat anything by her doctor at the time because of a fast or something. So at communion she placed Our Lord in her pocket and consumed Him later that day. I told her that what she did was desecration. She was so mad and didn't see why what she did was wrong. Our friendship almost ended over it. This was the same friend who once during mass in our school gym wrote "poop" on my sheet with the hymns for that day to try to get me to laugh. I was seen as being rigid and took mass too seriously. 

Also during these gym masses at least one of my classmates would chew gum, take it out when going up for communion, and resume chewing it again once they came back. 

At my old parish, there was a time when they kept finding hosts being left in the missals. The theory was that it was because non-Catholics and non-Christians who attended funeral or wedding masses went along with everyone else for communion and didn't know what to do with them. Eventually, a priest was assigned there who instead of saying, "The Body of Christ" says "Hi" or "Here you go". I wrote to our archbishop about him and some other stuff he's done. I changed parishes and as far as I know he hasn't changed his ways.

I was raised in a non church going family, but I did receive first holy communion. Sone time ago i found the book that was used to prepare me. It talked about how communion was about sharing, togetherness, a sacred meal. It had great pictures. Nowhere in the book or in any of the pictures was there even the suggestion that the Eucharist was the Body and Blood of Christ. I've never been so livid in my life. It's no wonder I was completely ignorant of the fact. "Here you go" indeed.