An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I now reject climate politics nearly entirely

fides' Jack

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/30/2019 at 4:56 AM, BarbaraTherese said:

We can only do what we can and in this case,what one believes to be the right thing to do.........then leave the rest to God.  What more can one do than that which he/she is able?

Most times if you enter into Google for example "Is such and such a sound resource", it will throw up some reviews - then the task is to ensure insofar as we can if the reviews themselves are sound resources.  I did this with the website you quoted:

We need to make up our own minds.  We can only do what we can.  Then leave the rest to God.

We can do nothing beyond what we can do.  For some it might be minimal for others it may be much more.  But The Lord is in the driver's seat,in that of individuals and in that of the whole world, our Doctrine of Divine Providence.

What we believe is not something we acknowledge in our heads as truth, without internalising and living it out in our lives.

V - God Carries Out His Plan: DIVINE PROVIDENCE (Catholic Catechism)  #302 - #314.

I am wondering, Jack, if you have heard what I said HEREpreviously.  If we humans are doing some damage to the environment, then we must cease.  The Lord has appointed us as stewards over the whole of His Creation, which "And God looked upon all that He had made, and indeed, it was very good. And there was evening, and there was morning— the sixth day. " Genesis Ch1

Now if we are damaging our environment, we are acting against what is very good.  Acting in fact as a destructive agent of the very good.  We all probably know what that is called.  And what is contrary to God in any way comes from the evil one.

Yeah, I heard you.  And that's why I asked for any evidence at all that we are damaging the environment.  I agree with the premise that we are "appointed stewards" of creation.  And also about the responsibility that espouses on us.  If you are arguing that we should put a higher priority on that responsibility than to our responsibility to protect life (which I don't think you are), I would disagree.  I don't believe that (at least in developed countries - China is obviously doing a TON of damage) we are doing anything significantly harmful to the environment.

On 10/13/2019 at 8:33 PM, Gary david said:

B542AE2A-694B-4585-8DCB-5741CE694701.jpeg

Not sure what the point is with this one.  I don't think anyone ever said that climate change isn't happening (at least, if they have, it's a tiny, tiny minority of people).  Even people like me have no problems saying the climate is changing - and I always have.  However, global warming is not the same thing.  And one photo without any context at all means literally nothing...

Sorry, if this is a joke, I don't get it.

The Earth is pretty sweet. It is a great gift from God. It is profound.

I think we have lost our God-centered connection to his creation, and neo-pagan worship has rushed to fill the void. That doesn't mean respect, and dare I say, a form of reverence before nature is oh my gooooodness BLASPHEMY. I don't think it's wise to dismiss anthropomorphic climate change on these grounds.

That's why I really have reactionary movements. It's just overcompensation. yugck.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Ice_nine said:

I don't think it's wise to dismiss anthropomorphic climate change on these grounds.

I haven't heard of anybody doing that, ever.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I haven't heard of anybody doing that, ever.

Consciously, maybe. But no one is really all that transparent to themselves. You do not believe that maybe a fear of neo-paganism in an increasingly secular world might be clouding your assessment on the matter?

Maybe not then. I don't think it's a far-fetched analysis that that's what some folks might be doing.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
On 11/30/2019 at 8:00 PM, Dogtag said:

When it comes to climate change your opinion or mine doesn't matter. What is important is what climate scientists who have doctoral degrees and have published in peer review journals have to say. You can't trust your favorite politician or news network, look at the science. https://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

It's impossible to know the actual science now.

And no, I don't trust any politician on this matter, or news network.  I also don't trust any supposed "science".  

This link points to an oft-cited "study" claiming that 97% of scientists agree that climate is warming and that humans have something to do with it.  3 things:

1.  Not all of the scientists in the 20+ year-old study are climate scientists.  Many of them had zero experience with any kind of climate studies.

2.  People almost always extend the actual consensus to include things that most of the scientists would specifically not agree to (according to interviews conducted of them after the study was published).  They would not all agree that humans were significantly contributing.  They would not all agree that it was possible for humans to do anything about it.  They wouldn't even agree that it was a bad thing and that we should do something about it.

3.  Environmentalism has now become a religion.  Any scientist now who publicly disavows the political standpoint of the left pretty much has their life destroyed, and that's so much anti-science that all reasonable people should reject environmentalism outright, until the point that the discussion is open enough that all sides should be heard.

On 10/28/2019 at 2:21 PM, Ice_nine said:

Consciously, maybe. But no one is really all that transparent to themselves. You do not believe that maybe a fear of neo-paganism in an increasingly secular world might be clouding your assessment on the matter?

Maybe not then. I don't think it's a far-fetched analysis that that's what some folks might be doing.

I think the holier a person becomes, the more they know themselves.  

I'm not afraid of neo-paganism.  I just hate it, because it offends God.  Either way, I reject it.

I've never heard anyone make the claim that the climate is not changing.  Any reasonable person admits that the climate is changing.  I've seen it change in my lifetime, as most people have.

I never thought much about climate change but after closely following - down to the minutiae - the constant misconstrual of COVID data, I have a newfound intense skepticism about scientific consensus on controversial issues including this one.

Oh boy, it seems there's a good lot of conspiration theorists hanging around here... living in a rather secular region, I always try to prove that being catholic goes very well with being up to date with sciences, but maybe...  

Please tell me you don't believe in the literal version of the creation in 7 days. 

When forest fires in California are blamed on climate change when annual burn acreage a century ago was higher in that state, I do not think it kooky to wonder if the politicians really know what they're talking about.

Money, peer pressure, and groupthink really do influence one's perception of reality and the choice to admit or discard datasets. No conspiracy needed.

11 hours ago, chrysostom said:

When forest fires in California are blamed on climate change when annual burn acreage a century ago was higher in that state, I do not think it kooky to wonder if the politicians really know what they're talking about.

Money, peer pressure, and groupthink really do influence one's perception of reality and the choice to admit or discard datasets. No conspiracy needed.

No, it's not kooky to wonder if politicians know what they're talking about. I sincerely doubt that, especially regarding climate politics. 

According to a renewed metastudy [btw one ordered by people doubting the 97% stated before] of 08/2019 on the current state of science it's 99% agreement in the essays that climate change is [at least partely] manmade. 

Edited by Lea
Typo.