An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why I now reject climate politics nearly entirely

fides' Jack

On 10/7/2020 at 8:27 AM, Lea said:

No, it's not kooky to wonder if politicians know what they're talking about. I sincerely doubt that, especially regarding climate politics. 

According to a renewed metastudy [btw one ordered by people doubting the 97% stated before] of 08/2019 on the current state of science it's 99% agreement in the essays that climate change is [at least partely] manmade. 

Of course we have an impact on the climate - I would be in that 99%.  In fact, if you read my last post here carefully, you'll see that I specifically addressed that - because while I'm aware that most scientists believe that climate change is at least partly manmade, that number of consenting scientists drops very quickly when you say that humans are "significantly" responsible.  

And, as I already stated, there isn't even consensus among scientists that it's a bad thing and that we should do anything about it.

Best to stay completely clear of the mainstream media right now...

so much for the climate skeptics here having a willingness to follow the science...

On 9/2/2019 at 1:55 PM, linate said:

droughts are increasing
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/climate-change-has-made-droughts-more-frequent-1900-180972087/

hurricanes are increasing. see the graph in the article. 
https://www.theguardian.com/weather/ng-interactive/2018/sep/11/atlantic-hurricanes-are-storms-getting-worse

antarctica is losing ice such that sea levels are rising

https://skepticalscience.com/antarctica-gaining-ice-intermediate.htm

there is a strong consensus that man is the main cause of climate change
https://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-robust.htm

more carbon dioxide isnt necessarily all that great for plants

https://skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food-basic.htm

we have more carbon than we've had for millions of years, and more than twice as much as weve had for hundreds of thousands. 

i'm mostly worried about drought and the loss of biodiversity. just look around. drought is increasing. it will hit third world countries the hardest. the coral reefs are dying, which are a hot bed source of biodiversity. other examples are endless. 

we can get by with flooding and hurricanes, but not the instability caused by these two things above. 

16 hours ago, linate said:

so much for the climate skeptics here having a willingness to follow the science...

so much for the environmentalists here having a willingness to follow the science...

I'm perfectly willing to follow actual science, if you can show me some.  I'm no longer willing to follow government-funded or government-controlled or even media-controlled science - at least on the matter of climate change.

In the end, and above all things, I trust in God, so no, I'm not afraid of or worried about the climate changing at all.

On 10/14/2020 at 12:13 PM, fides' Jack said:

so much for the environmentalists here having a willingness to follow the science...

I'm perfectly willing to follow actual science, if you can show me some.  I'm no longer willing to follow government-funded or government-controlled or even media-controlled science - at least on the matter of climate change.

In the end, and above all things, I trust in God, so no, I'm not afraid of or worried about the climate changing at all.

i cited a long list of well sourced info that contradicts many of your points. as far as i can tell, you simply choose to reject it to opt into some contradicting points you heard somewhere random. (read, not well sourced). 

why aren't you afraid of the droughts that the world and the USA has been having at an increasing pace? and that as i cited can be caused by global warming. this affects third world countries the worst. it even affect folks like my dad who is a farmer and is facing more droughts lately.  

don't you care about the dying coral reefs and all those other ecosystems that are dying cause of global warming? 

i cited the link that says 96% of scientists who are familiar with the matter, think man is the primary source of recent warming. why do you choose to deny it? 

"Among the larger sample size of author self-rated papers [...], 228 (96%) endorsed the consensus view that humans are causing most of the current global warming."

https://skepticalscience.com/97-percent-consensus-robust.htm

10 minutes ago, linate said:

why aren't you afraid of the droughts that the world and the USA has been having at an increasing pace?

Because I don't believe in fake science perpetuated by the government, or by any group of people who would ruin the career or the life of anyone who disagrees with them.

The reason I don't fear climate change is because ultimately, God is in control.  And I only fear God inasmuch as I deserve condemnation for my sins.  

10 minutes ago, linate said:

i cited the link that says 96% of scientists who are familiar with the matter, think man is the primary source of recent warming. why do you choose to deny it? 

I don't deny it.  You posted a link to Skeptical Science, a link that implies that something is true if it is widely accepted.

And I've already posted my opinion regarding the false 97% number (not 96%).  

And because your language here also implies a falsehood.

It is not 97% (or 96%) of scientists who are familiar with the matter.  It's 97% of the scientists they reached out to (they didn't talk to every scientist), and the consensus was that man is a source of climate change (not the primary source, and not even a significant cause). 

It would be good for the Earth to have some more co2.  Let's start raising more cattle again and make meat inexpensive so we can feed more of those in poverty.  We're too stupid to even think about the best way to take care of the Earth right now.  The best thing we can do is try to take care of each other.

5 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

Because I don't believe in fake science perpetuated by the government, or by any group of people who would ruin the career or the life of anyone who disagrees with them.

The reason I don't fear climate change is because ultimately, God is in control.  And I only fear God inasmuch as I deserve condemnation for my sins.  

I don't deny it.  You posted a link to Skeptical Science, a link that implies that something is true if it is widely accepted.

And I've already posted my opinion regarding the false 97% number (not 96%).  

And because your language here also implies a falsehood.

It is not 97% (or 96%) of scientists who are familiar with the matter.  It's 97% of the scientists they reached out to (they didn't talk to every scientist), and the consensus was that man is a source of climate change (not the primary source, and not even a significant cause). 

It would be good for the Earth to have some more co2.  Let's start raising more cattle again and make meat inexpensive so we can feed more of those in poverty.  We're too stupid to even think about the best way to take care of the Earth right now.  The best thing we can do is try to take care of each other.

you just ignored the quote i gave you, and misrepresented the link. here is the expanded snippet that says authors who have written on global warming, almost unanimously think man is the primary cause of warming.... 

Again, there's very little controversy here.  The scientific literature is quite clear that humans have caused most of the global surface warming over the past half century, as the 2013 IPCC report stated with 95% confidence.

In Cook et al. (2013), we broadened the focus beyond definitions that quantify the human contribution, because there's a consensus gap on the mere question of whether humans are causing global warming.  Nevertheless, we used the 2007 IPCC position as one of our consensus position definitions:

"We examined a large sample of the scientific literature on global [climate change], published over a 21 year period, in order to determine the level of scientific consensus that human activity is very likely causing most of the current GW (anthropogenic global warming, or AGW)."

The IPCC position (humans causing most global warming) was represented in our categories 1 and 7, which include papers that explicitly endorse or reject/minimize human-caused global warming, and also quantify the human contribution.  Among the relatively few abstracts (75 in total) falling in these two categories, 65 (87%) endorsed the consensus view.  Among the larger sample size of author self-rated papers in categories 1 and 7 (237 in total), 228 (96%) endorsed the consensus view that humans are causing most of the current global warming.

The self-ratings offer a larger sample size on this quantification question because of the limited real estate in a paper's abstract.  Most journals have strict word limits on their abstracts, so authors have to focus on the specifics of their research.  On the other hand, the author self-ratings are based on the full papers, which have much more real estate and are thus more likely to both take a position on the cause of global warming, and quantify the human contribution.

1 minute ago, linate said:

you just ignored the quote i gave you, and misrepresented the link. here is the expanded snippet that says authors who have written on global warming, almost unanimously think man is the primary cause of warming.... 

These guys rely too much on the authority of so-called peer-reviewed scientific journals.  Even saying that, this article isn't putting itself on the same footing.  It's a biased reading of the conglomeration of other scientific studies.

The comments at the bottom of your article are more interesting, and more revealing.  There, even the proponents of the climate religion agree that one of these 97% consensus findings was based on a small group of 77 scientists, and not the purported ~5,000.  And even several proponents find that Cook et al. (2013) is a very inaccurate study, anyway.

Then there's the appalling fact that this article relies heavily on the IPCC.  No Thanks!  I trust them as much as I trust the WHO, and other Communist-China-owned "international" commissions, which is zero.  All of these groups clearly have an agenda.  

The article also talks about melting ice.  That's been debunked for several years: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/nasa-study-mass-gains-of-antarctic-ice-sheet-greater-than-losses.  

I don't buy it.  The evidence out there isn't overwhelmingly persuasive.  There's too much politics in it.  There's too much idolatry in it.  There's too many lies in it.  There's probably some truth in it, too, but you'll never find it without losing your soul.

21 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I'm sorry to say this, but it seems like you are lacking the knowlegde of basic scientific methods. Meta-studies nowadays are based on data analyzed by algorithms designed for that, not by persons deciding by sympathy who of their colleagues to ask and who not. 

And nope, you don't need to talk to theologians reading patristic literature regarding a topic in life sciences. If you are talking climate science, you are going to refer to geoscientists, environmentalists, etc, maybe also agroscientists or MDs for more specific research linked to the issue.

Last but not least speaking as someone pursuing a Masters in Environmental Engineering it would certainly NOT be good to "have some more CO2". But maybe you won't believe me anyway as I study at a public university... hoping not to lose my soul in it. 

he seems to reason "i dont like their conclusions, therefore they are not credible". instead of "here are reasons they are not credible, therefore i dont like their conclusions". 

21 minutes ago, linate said:

he seems to reason "i dont like their conclusions, therefore they are not credible". instead of "here are reasons they are not credible, therefore i dont like their conclusions". 

I'm not doing either of those things.  I don't trust this, specifically:

1 hour ago, Lea said:

Meta-studies nowadays are based on data analyzed by algorithms designed for that

The "science" of today is statistics, which is not science.

There's no chance I'm going to change either of your minds, so I'm not going to try.  Nor was I trying to change your mind before.  

Have a good day.

Sciences are mainly about shaping theorems and modells out of data, so yes, it is very much about statistics, even in the humanities and then testing those modells. 

I don't know how science should work otherwise. 

i guess it's worth noting the irony, that i have an honors degree in environmental science, from a competitive university that maybe five percent of the population has any chance of getting into. but if he won't listen to the overwhelming consensus of scientists, why is he going to listen to two more science peeps?  

it's far fetched to think that the coral reefs and other ecosystems affected by global warming just decided to start dying when the industrial age started, after all these millions of years. it's clearly implied that there's a causal correlation here. 

Edited by linate

On 10/22/2020 at 3:18 PM, linate said:

it's far fetched to think that the coral reefs and other ecosystems affected by global warming just decided to start dying when the industrial age started, after all these millions of years. it's clearly implied that there's a causal correlation here. 

I honestly don't care.  It's a non-issue, while millions of babies are being murdered every year, when the faith is being attacked non-stop, when bishops are removing sacraments from the very people they're supposed to serve by giving them sacraments, when a sacrilegious idol is placed on the altar at the center of the Catholic Church during Mass, when the world government seems bent on forcing people to accept dehumanizing face masks and vaccines that ultimately only grant the government power (and do little else), when a civil war is on the brink of happening across the world, when homosexuality is celebrated everywhere, and when all of these things are taking place largely because of people who worry about the coral reefs and ecosystems more than far more substantial issues.

2 hours ago, fides' Jack said:

I honestly don't care.  [...]

because of people who worry about the coral reefs and ecosystems more than far more substantial issues.

Well, as you obviously ignore both the science and how the pope reacts to it [there's something in Laudato Si, just sayin'] - of course abortions, sacraments etc seem more important. 

The risk of whole landscapes turning into desert, bad harvests having people starving and sormes, hurricanes etc. devastating areas with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants is something I'd very much consider a substantial issue. It's not about small coral reefs, but about the broader picture how the climate emergency is shaping this world. To be quite honest, I cannot imagine God cares more about statues on altars than about his complete creation, but yeah. 

On 10/26/2020 at 3:02 PM, Lea said:

Well, as you obviously ignore both the science and how the pope reacts to it [there's something in Laudato Si, just sayin'] - of course abortions, sacraments etc seem more important. 

The risk of whole landscapes turning into desert, bad harvests having people starving and sormes, hurricanes etc. devastating areas with hundreds of thousands of inhabitants is something I'd very much consider a substantial issue. It's not about small coral reefs, but about the broader picture how the climate emergency is shaping this world. To be quite honest, I cannot imagine God cares more about statues on altars than about his complete creation, but yeah. 

I didn't mention anything about statues on altars.  But He cares more for people's souls than He does about the planet, or the universe.

Yes, I can ignore how our current pope reacts to it.  The deposit of faith is pretty explicit about that, actually.  It's not a matter of faith or morals, so I can ignore it to my heart's content.

I'm sure you think it is a matter of morality.  And certainly taking care of creation is a matter of morality, but not nearly on the scope of any of the other things I mentioned.  In fact, I'm positive that God would prefer that the entire world be destroyed irreparably to the point that nobody can survive on it, before He loses even 1 soul.

And we're even free to disagree on the best way to take care of creation.  I do agree there is desertification going on - so let's bring back the herds of cows and other big animals.  That takes care of people starving, too.  Hurricanes and storms are God's domain, not mine.  

There is no climate emergency.  There is a spiritual emergency.  The climate nonsense is just to distract from that.  And anyone who makes it a big emergency is in danger of losing their souls.

-----------------------

Oh, it just occurred to me you're talking about my reference to the pachamama statue that was placed on the altar in Rome.

Actually, in that case, yes, I absolutely believe He cares more about that than about all of the created planet Earth.  It was one of the single greatest insults to Him throughout history.  It was, without a doubt, one of the greatest crimes against the highest commandment ever to have been committed.

Edited by fides' Jack
Separating posts for clarity.