An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cardinal Pell's Appeal dismissed

BarbTherese

44 minutes ago, cruciatacara said:

it would be difficult for any Catholic who lives in the state of Victoria (and perhaps even all of Australia) to mistake Pell for any other priest,

I am in another state of Australia to Victoria.  I have never had anything to do with CArdinal Pell directly or indirectly.  I never met him or even came close.

What follows is only how he struck fallible and broken me quite personally from photos and television and before the breaking of the scandals.   He always struck me as a cold and rigid, formidable, sort of man- not only in tone but in appearance, which was imposing.  He was tall and quite well built.  I found him intimidating in appearance and voice tone. I never saw him smile.  When he was promoted to the Vatican Bank I think it was, I did think it would suit him as it seemed to me that possibly he would not be good with people, better with facts and numbers that add up or must add up.  Rather often humanity does not.

The above is only as the Cardinal struck me and evidential of nothing whatsoever

except that -

I think probably all practising CAtholics would have recognized Cardinal Pell without any difficulty whatsoever even as a much younger archbishop.

dominicansoul

i believe pell is innocent of this accusation and I pray for God to deliver him from his enemies.  

I met Pell In the early 2000’s. He came to celebrate Mass at our convent.  He was desperately in need of Sisters!  He wanted us to come to Australia to help him propagate the Faith.  He spoke passionately of the Church in Australia.  He practically BEGGED us to come to Australia and start schools there.  He said it was an emergency, thousands of Australians were losing their souls, leaving the church in droves, losing their faith, losing their fear of God.  He spoke with great love for his sheep, for the people he had a pastoral responsibility for.  He also came across as a man in love with God and His Church.  In my opinion, a man that much in love with the Church doesn’t doodle little kids.  I’m sorry, doodlers don’t give a poo about Catholicism, they only entered the priesthood to live out their homosexual and pedophile fantasies, not to serve Christ or the Church.  Meanwhile Cardinal Pell was traveling exhaustively, seeking orthodox communities everywhere, inviting them to come to Australia.  He felt alone protecting the orthodoxy and traditions of the Church in Australia.  

From what I’ve read of the accusations, what he supposedly did is physically impossible with what he was wearing and in the time slot they claim he did it.  Especially since there were many witnesses around, it would seem almost brazen to attempt such an act.  What really really makes me doubt this molestation ever occurred is the fact the mother of one of the accusers said her son told her this didn’t happen.   He retracted his accusation before he died. 

Pell had plenty of enemies, even within the church.  Leftists who want nothing to do with orthodoxy in the church in Australia derided him as a man out of touch with the people, teaching a Gospel out of line with modern times.  Then there’s the whole Vatican bank scandal, where Pell discovered mismanagement and was “properly” sent back to Australia.  He knew too much and I believe it destroyed him... 

"Sources say" Cardinal Pell will make final Appeal:  https://www.news.com.au/national/victoria/george-pell-makes-lastditch-bid-for-freedom-taking-his-case-to-the-high-court/news-story/ef2f6086ba4cdf225ea5c736859bf6ff

"The strongly worded dissent of Justice Mark Weinberg expressed the former Commonwealth Director of Public Prosecution’s “genuine doubt as to the applicant’s guilt”.

The jury was required to find Pell guilty “beyond reasonable doubt” and after reviewing the evidence, Justice Weinberg thought there was a “significant possibility” Pell may not have committed the offences.

“My doubt is a doubt which the jury ought also to have had,” he wrote."  Read more on above link

• 1 month later...

I think I read cardinal Pell is taking this to Australia’s highest court...praying hard for him!   Another reason I don’t believe he is guilty is he’s fighting this charge tooth and nail!  Guilty abusers slink and take what’s coming to them. Pell fights! 

43 minutes ago, Josh said:

Family members of victims speak out.

Thanks for posting this @Josh . So many of us in Ballarat and Melbourne know him for the evil that he is. I know many still believe in his innocence, but that is just denial because they don't know him. I pray to God his appeal is rejected because it would be a great miscarriage of justice for him to go free before serving his time. He has injured not only so many children and families, but also the Church itself.

On 8/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, cruciatacara said:

Whatever happens, I hope it has been a wake up call to the Church to get their house in order with regard to the sexual abuses of children.

I very much agree :like2:

I think too it is a wake up call for parents to clearly explain to children about sexual abuse and at an early age.  If I had youngies, I would try to keep internet use by children safe too.  We live in a materialistic society and nowadays even to survive, both parents with children have to work just to survive.........and everything costs and most everything Catholic too can cost.  I think that we all have to make sacrifices through our choices and scale of wants and needs.  All of us in The Church, not only those in the laity.  Our children are The Church's future........the cost of raising a family is huge - also the stress factor in today's world is also huge.  If we do desire to invest in the future of The Church, then we have to give parents space by reducing financial demands as well as factors that induce stress.

I think too that as a Church we are extremely and urgently in need of reform.  Because of the power structure in Rome and because Rome does have all the power, it is a huge mountain to climb.  Problem is that there are those who are totally against changes in The Church.  One thing only that seems to me is that we have to cease idealising and putting religious and priests on pedestals.  They have a remarkable, holy and needed call and vocation - but essentially they remain sinners with all of us.  Most all of us, Catholics and non Catholics, have a sort of dual nature.  We are sinners and in the same mind, body and soul we are saints.  It is possible to have religious and Holy Orders in the highest esteem and gratitude, while at the same time those so called we have to allow to be human.

Take for example, a rose bush.  It comes into bud and eventually flowers.  What has been taking place since the bush was planted is change, positive change because the purpose of the bush, the end product if you like, is to arrive at its full potential and flowering.  If no change had taken place the bush planted would still change but towards death in a dying process.  Dying is a process, a journey, the destination:  Death is an event.  FULL STOP

The creation by God of all living creatures and the beauty of nature, was not only that we should see a reflection of Him in the beauties, even power that is overwhelmingly beautiful, of nature and enjoy it, marvel at it.  He created all of life too - its astounding variety and colours - to teach us.  Jesus in His parables regularly used the unexpected in humanity to teach something quite unexpected and new.  He also used nature for the same purpose.

Sermon on The Mount

Your Will be done on earth as it is in heaven..........Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us...............And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?.......

I either mean those words prayed during Mass to God The Father, through His Son and in the Power of The Holy Spirit and will struggle with negative rebellious feelings, or I do not mean them at all and disinterested in doing so or even trying.  In that case, I am lying in prayer.  I am rejecting God's Grace. To deliberately do both is sinful of some degree.

If Cardinal Pell is jailed losing his appeals, I intend to write to him in jail.  And if he is laicised and I knew his address, (and tend to doubt that I would), then I would continue to write. 

The whole nature of paedophilia revolts and angers me.  I tend to doubt Cardinal Pell is guilty.  However I acknowledge that personally I have no actual evidence of guilt; hence to me he is neither guilty nor not guilty. At this point, The Doctrine of Divine Providence steps in for me personally to be at Peace knowing The Lord is in the driver's seat of the whole of life and all that lives until the end of the world. CCC ( Catholic Catechism) V. GOD CARRIES OUT HIS PLAN: DIVINE PROVIDENCE (#302 - #314)

I hope to act as God Intends me personally to act in the situation in the hope that at Judgement:  Matthew Ch7: "For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged;and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you."

And "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain Mercy"

I Hope to save my soul and reside one day in Heaven.

I am always conscious, I am privately vowed with time to research and reflect since I live alone and am retired.  while other lay people and the various vocations in The Church may have commitments and duties of their own vocation cutting down on available time factor.  "Do what you can and leave the rest to God" (St Mary of The Cross MacKillop - our first Aussie saint........with another in the canonization process)

Once I hit SEND in an email, SUBMIT in a forum, hang up down the phone, cease a conversation - I try to just leave things with God and not start mulling over and over what has transpired - that is a bit of feat with bipolar plus a mild streak of OCD........but I can try :juggle: 

Thank God He who is a Loving Merciful and Understanding God will be my Judge and only Him alone.

That is the sole basis of my Hope for Heaven.

Luke Chapter 17 "So you also, when you have done everything commanded of you, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”