An Old School Catholic Message Board

"9 years and 9 months ago I left the convent"

DameAgnes

I'd like to add to this - it may be that having to leave a religious community (whether someone is asked to do so by the community or finds out herself that it is not the right place for her) can be a grace too. I also left a community during postulancy, and for me it was, among all sorts of other things, a pretty humiliating experience. Several years of discernment, preparation, saying good-bye - and then after a few months I was back and asking my friends if they knew of a suitable job opening for me :blush:. It took me some time to realize that, well, I had prayed for the grace to follow Jesus in poverty and humiliation - and that prayer had been heard (to some degree).

The time until final vows is a time of *mutual* discernment. Just as a seminarian's vocation isn't validated till he's finally ordained, a religious isn't fully affirmed until final vows. There is nothing at all wrong with determining (on either side), even at a late hour, that this isn't the right path for someone. Almost every former sister I've met has said that her time in community was invaluable. 

It is up to the rest of us not to judge, but to support whatever path someone takes.

8 hours ago, Dymphna said:

it may be that having to leave a religious community (whether someone is asked to do so by the community or finds out herself that it is not the right place for her) can be a grace too.

:like2:

1 hour ago, Nunsuch said:

Almost every former sister I've met has said that her time in community was invaluable

It is up to the rest of us not to judge, but to support whatever path someone takes.

:like2: