An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mychal Judge

little2add

4 hours ago, tinytherese said:

I know that in Christian circles that some can take the Gospel message of forgiveness to an unhealthy extreme. Just because you forgive someone doesn't mean that what the person did was right, that the person shouldn't be held accountable for the wrong that they committed, or that you have to trust the person again. We don't want to fall into enabling anyone. 

Exactly. All forgiveness is is forgiving the person in your heart and to God. It doesn't mean you ever have to speak to the person again or have anything to do with them. You're not God. God doesn't expect you to be Him. He will never cut a person off in this life and stop talking to them. You can though. 

One of the most painful emotional experiences I've had as an adult is having this happen to me. The person told me they forgive me but they will have nothing to do with me. And I have to accept that. I don't get to think forgiveness entails that person inviting me back into their life and talking to me again. Forgiveness simply can be saying I forgive you (not even to the person) meaning it and letting it go. And never speaking or interacting with the person again.

Edited by Guest

I am sorry, Josh, that you have had what must be a very painful experience to have a person say they forgive, but then to exclude one. 

37 minutes ago, Josh said:

. And I have to accept that.

The decision of a mature person.  I cannot change the other, but I can change myself.

To forgive is the will to forgive even if feelings do not fall into line and one feel's forgiveness.   Feelings can come and go independant of the will - the will is superior.   We can and should assess where a person fits in our life, even if it is for sound reasons one decides to exclude them.

My take is that judging is to convict a person morally and pass a moral sentence .  Assessing is different........in my book.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 9:05 PM, Norseman82 said:

I see that people are starting to fling Bible verses that have nothing to do with the subject in the hope of pulling the wool over our eyes. 

Well, is marching in a pride parade an attempt to convert sinners so that they stop sinning, or is it an approval and advocacy of perversion, which makes it scandalous? 

If he is canonized, what will the "spin" be?  Will it be "See, pride parades are OK because one of the participants in them was canonized"?  Or will it be "By his sacrifice, he redeemed himself for his prior causing of scandal by marching in pride parades"? 

This is exactly why I think if it does happen, it might not be the best time - with our current culture/politics.  Certainly, going to a pride parade right now is scandalous and would be seen by many as an approval of the lifestyle.  If/when it's not about an agenda, which I don't see ever happening, that may change.

• 3 weeks later...