An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness & Bipolar Disorder

BarbTherese

AT the end of the above video is a good question: "Should we pray for the sick" and the response we ideally would give if our prayer is not answered as we might hope.

A patron saint for those who choose to remain in the Laity as their vocation - or even those who feel they do not have a vocation at all:

https://www.franciscanmedia.org/saint-rose-of-viterbo/

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhRZ3Rhz_Yqy3tBsprCvx

In truth, there is no such thing as no vocation at all.  With our baptism comes the call from God to holiness and God would not call to where He cannot or will not fulfill.

Our call to holiness at our baptism is in the Lay state of life.  It is where the journey of holiness must begin and can end.

Edited by BarbaraTherese

Abandoned puppy finds safe harbour and rest with Baby Jesus in Nativity scene in Brazil.

Delightful image!!! Read full story HERE

web3-nativity-baby-dog-facebook-1.jpg?qu

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQC90OHZLpXaJcTJivaTpr

When feeling desolate and good for nothing, how to know you are not offending God

"He (Padre Pio) explains how drastically these experiences affect his prayer, or better said, make him even unable to pray:

I try to form one single thought about God—I cannot say “try to pray” because that would be going too far—but in my current state that is entirely impossible.

Fr. Pio speaks of how he sees himself as “full of imperfections” and he is left without courage, feeling that he is “very weak” in virtue and at “resisting the enemy’s assaults.”

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTT6edvNVWII0yZomobIum

I had an uplifting experience over the past few days.  Until end of April, I am struggling financially just to survive.  After April, two big debts clear.  Last Saturday (Monday here today) I ran out of food other than cheap and nasty (to me anyway) food I am really sick to death of having to eat to stay alive.  Yesterday, my little dog and loved companion, Buddie, was ill and would not eat, not even his special treats.  I resolved to take him to the vet next day and try not to worry about finances.  I told Jesus that I really did trust Him even though I just could not stop worrying both about Buddie and the vet's bill.  Apparently anxiety goes hand in hand with my brand of bipolar disorder - I will worry at the drop of a hat almost.

I no longer made my decisions as firm when suddenly Buddie started to eat again and came back to his old self just as suddenly as he had seemed to get ill.

I was so grateful to Jesus.  I realised that I really could trust Him even if the situation was really worrying and everything just went wrong despite ardent prayer and trust - I realised this on a new level.  I knew He was very much in my life and journey........again on a newer level.

0122-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9LLbcNh-IYayNXGJAK8t

Vincent's Quote of the Day (St Vincent de Paul Society)

Quote of the Day – January 21

"Once God has begun to do good to a creature, He continues to do so to the end (XII:389)."

catechism-in-a-year.jpg

From "Read the Catechism in a Year" website.  To subscribe: https://flocknote.com/catechism

27. What does it mean in practice for a person to believe in God?

It means to adhere to God himself, entrusting oneself to him and giving assent to all the truths which God has revealed because God is Truth. It means to believe in one God in three persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Further reading: CCC 150-152, 176-178

28. What are the characteristics of faith?

Faith is the supernatural virtue which is necessary for salvation. It is a free gift of God and is accessible to all who humbly seek it. The act of faith is a human act, that is, an act of the intellect of a person - prompted by the will moved by God - who freely assents to divine truth. Faith is also certain because it is founded on the Word of God; it works "through charity" (Galatians 5:6); and it continually grows through listening to the Word of God and through prayer. It is, even now, a foretaste of the joys of heaven.

Further reading: CCC 153-165, 179-180, 183-184

0124reli-st_therese-s_relics_in_sydney_y

Relics of St Therese Lisieux arrive in Australia...without her parents

326.jpg

St Vincent de Paul Quote of the Day – February 7:   As we empty ourselves of self and of the desire to be noticed, esteemed, and respected, God will fill our souls with graces and blessings, given to each according to the degree of perfection He demands (XIIIb:337).