An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mental Illness & Bipolar Disorder

BarbTherese

1395006.jpg?424

This is an interesting article on Catholic Culture "Does Consecrated Life trump Marriage, can we change our minds?", although there were no surprises for me until I read what follows at the very end of the article: 

"That is precisely why we cover a multitude of sins when we seek sincerely and accept wholeheartedly the potentially imperfect judgment of the Church—in the matters over which she has been given authority by the Son of God."

My surprise had nothing to do with consecrated life trumping marriage in any way - nor anything remotely related to these vocations or any other vocation in a way, rather my surprise is connected to another subject entirely in Catholic living.  I am not going to speak to my surprise as I very much doubt there is much interest in this thread.

Thankfully, I read Catholic Culture with my thinking cap on in hope with a prayer to the Holy Spirit.  Now and then there are holes (in my book) in what they state.

0215-624x468.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7DL0Xo6kgIMAEs1dQpVT

It is far too easy, within the current upsurge of creative input in the realm of worship, to find ourselves chasing spiritual or aesthetic experiences, as if the highest achievement of our whole pilgrimage on earth were to enter some kind of praise-induced ecstasy! I am, in fact, all in favour of spiritual experiences when they are genuine, and welcome ecstasies that are the gifts of God and not artificially induced, but if such things become the AIM of our gatherings for worship, then we have turned the gospel upside down.
   - Graham Kendrick, Worship

1-Holy-Thursday-01-300x177.jpg

Why begin Mass with a procession?

HERE

Another informative and inspiriting, important, homily thread by cappie for the 6th Sunday in Ordinary Time - this time on the reasons behind the Sermon on The Mount:

Excerpt: "That is our calling: to be transformed daily in the way that we live inwardly and outwardly in order to reveal to the world around us that in Jesus we have found something. We have found a new way of living. It is a way of living marked by a desire to make peace with those whom we have wronged or who have wronged us. It is a way of living marked by a respect for others for who they are not as mere objects. It is a way of living marked by a commitment to the truth so strong that our "Yes" means "Yes" and our "No", "No". Above all it is a way of living made possible only through the Grace of God, who loves us, who has redeemed us from sin and death and who makes us Holy."

Communio

Renew all things in Christ

CM-Cross_klein-160x226.jpg

41WlW+hZYzL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

41j3aQ1YvpL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Jean Pierre de Caussade - The Sacrament of The Present Moment

(Paperback $17.23)

"From the Back Cover

In this superb new translation of the celebrated spiritual classic of wisdom, hope, and inspiration, Jean-Pierre de Caussade offers guidance for daily living in communion with God. This exemplary devotional work summons readers to holiness, reveals ways to conquer self-love and pride, and points the way for experiencing each moment as a sacrament.The author shows how God speaks to us through every moment of every day. He encourages a joyous, affirming, selfless abandonment to God. By entering into such active contemplation and facing ourselves honestly and openly, the author assures us, we can achieve the comfort and fulfillment of a life suffused with grace.These timeless spiritual reflections probe the mystery of faith, illuminate the nature of authentic contemplation, and help us recognize and carry out God's purpose in our own lives. They stand as powerful testimony to de Caussade's conviction "that there is nothing easier, more ordinary, more available to all than saintliness."

About the Author

Jean-Pierre de Caussade was born in Toulouse, France, and was ordained a member of the Society of Jesus in 1708. In 1731, he was appointed spiritual director of the Jesuit retreat house in Nancy, where he undertook the spiritual direction of the Nuns of the Visitation. It is the notes of his addresses to the nuns that form this book.Kitty Muggeridge, the wife of author and journalist Malcolm Muggeridge, is well-known as a translator."